dine ashore program

musicgirl63

I was inquiring today with NCL about the dine ashore program. At first the rep replied right away that the program was still on going. When he went to look it up, he told me that is wasn't available at the time. He suggested that the brochure was being re-done.

Those were my thoughts with the new 10 year NCL/Bermuda deal. It would be nice for those of you sailing in April to know about since it is coming close.

Has anyone living in Bermuda heard anything about the NEW program? Any changes?

I was inquiring today with NCL about the dine ashore program. At first the rep replied right away that the program was still on going. When he went to look it up, he told me that is wasn't available at the time. He suggested that the brochure was being re-done.

Those were my thoughts with the new 10 year NCL/Bermuda deal. It would be nice for those of you sailing in April to know about since it is coming close.

Has anyone living in Bermuda heard anything about the NEW program? Any changes?

every year they don't issue them until the end of March or early April. They re-sign restaurants and it just takes a lot of time. Hopefully they will be out soon...

FYI they aren't available for one day stays in Bermuda normally but I don't know if yours is a one day.

I sure hope they have this program again this year. Can't beat this deal. Last year there were a lot less places to choose from than in the past. Should be interesting to see who's on the list this year. We usually pick Carriage House.

I was in Bermuda last July, and we used the vouchers at the White Horse Tavern. The food was nothing to rave about, and it cost $3.50 for a Coke!! I'm still angry that we went there for lunch when there was food on the ship that was FREE!!!!!!!!!

I don't recommend it for the White Horse Tavern, but if you know of a restaurant that you HAVE TO GO TO, then I'd love to hear about it!!

I was in Bermuda last July, and we used the vouchers at the White Horse Tavern. The food was nothing to rave about, and it cost $3.50 for a Coke!! I'm still angry that we went there for lunch when there was food on the ship that was FREE!!!!!!!!!

I don't recommend it for the White Horse Tavern, but if you know of a restaurant that you HAVE TO GO TO, then I'd love to hear about it!!

If you were on the ship, you would still have to pay for the coke, maybe not $3.50, but close to it. The lunch voucher cost $5.00. Ideally you would have ordered something different than the ship offers. We used the dinner voucher which cost $10.00 at the Carriage House in St Georges. It was recommended by other CC posters. Very lovely dinner, and it was great having the opportunity to experience authentic Bermudian cuisine.

Normally I would be cheap and fit lunch in back on the ship into the schedule. Usually we eat a good breakfast and then off to explore and then we're ready to shower all the salt water off any way so back to the ship.

Even with being in port for 3 days, there is so much I want to do that it is worth the cost. I don't want to lose the time traveling in this case. I've already taken a number of "stops" out of my itinerary.

I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Of course one can head back to the ship, but that takes a big chunk of time out of your day(s) at port. It's got to offer more savings for dining ashore than without. Bermuda is expensive in any respect.

every year they don't issue them until the end of March or early April. They re-sign restaurants and it just takes a lot of time. Hopefully they will be out soon...

FYI they aren't available for one day stays in Bermuda normally but I don't know if yours is a one day.

A familiar voice and already I have my answer. Thank you! ;)

If you were on the ship, you would still have to pay for the coke, maybe not $3.50, but close to it. The lunch voucher cost $5.00. Ideally you would have ordered something different than the ship offers. We used the dinner voucher which cost $10.00 at the Carriage House in St Georges. It was recommended by other CC posters. Very lovely dinner, and it was great having the opportunity to experience authentic Bermudian cuisine.

Yeah, I tried ordering something I normally wouldn't! I ordered the Fish Chowder that I hear people rave about. It was good, until I added too much rum!!! THAT WAS MY FAULT!!! It was okay until that point, but it wasn't like the soup was to die for!

I also ordered an appetizer on the menu. It was called "Crab Paradise"--Sweet crab, cream cheese, honey and garlic wrapped in phyllo pastry and fried, Served with cracked pepper and orange pineapple marmalade. It sounded pretty good, and it was $11.95. WHEN I GOT IT, IT TURNED OUT TO BE CRAB RAGOON just like you'd get at a Chinese restaurant! I was ticked, but then it really made us laugh!!

Again, if anyone knows of a good restaurant to try with the vouchers, then please let me know.

Does RCCL have anything like a Dine Ashore program? Just wondering, since we will be on a 5 day Bermuda cruise this summer.

Its exclusive to NCL.

For some reason NCL and Bermuda have exclusive arrangements that others aren't allowed. i.e. only NCL can sail to Bermuda from Boston.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on the BermudaforU website. The news was dated Nov 9, "NCL commits to Bermuda

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has signed a deal with the Bermuda government that will see at least two of the company’s new Panamax ships visiting the island until 2018. Under the terms of the 10-year agreement, commencing in 2009, each ship will make at least 22 visits per cruise season. NCL has also agreed to sponsor the Bermuda Music Festival and extend their Freestyle Dining Ashore Programme.

NCL Freestyle Dining Ashore Programme

NCL’s Freestyle Dining Ashore Programme allows passengers to dine at a selection of restaurants in Bermuda for a nominal fee.

A $5 charge is automatically added to your onboard account (it can be removed if you choose not to participate) and gets you a lunch voucher worth $25 to redeem at any of the participating restaurants. An additional $5 will give you a $50 dinner voucher.

Restaurants participating in the scheme are:

Bermuda Bistro, Hamilton

Blue Point, Elbow Beach Hotel

Carriage House, St George

Freeport Seafood Restaurant, Royal Naval Dockyard

Landfall Restaurant, Clear View Suites

Mulligan’s Golf Club Restaurant, St George’s Golf Course

Salt Rock Grill

Tom Moore’s Tavern

White Horse, St George "

All the current info such as menus, restaurants, rules have disappeared from the NCL site so we are all waiting for a glimpse of the new information. Actually we are all going to ambush the first NCL cruisers back from Bermuda for the scoop. That is unless NCL puts something out before they leave.

I called NCL 3 days ago and inquired about the program. I was told that the program was "discontinued". I'm hoping that I was misinformed. I actaully called looking for information about receiving luggage tags, etc. for our cruise in May. NCL told me that they do not send them because I booked through TA and that TA may send them. I called TA and was told that they would not send them either. Yesterday I got luggage tags, a pamphlet, letter, etc. via USPS directly from NCL. So...as I stated above, hopefully I was only misinformed about the Dine Ashore Program as well.

I called NCL 3 days ago and inquired about the program. I was told that the program was "discontinued". I'm hoping that I was misinformed. I actaully called looking for information about receiving luggage tags, etc. for our cruise in May. NCL told me that they do not send them because I booked through TA and that TA may send them. I called TA and was told that they would not send them either. Yesterday I got luggage tags, a pamphlet, letter, etc. via USPS directly from NCL. So...as I stated above, hopefully I was only misinformed about the Dine Ashore Program as well.

I am almost sure they are wrong. I hope so anyway. It should be posted any d ay now...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting excerpt from the Bermuda Chamber of Commerce's 2006 Annual Report. Sounds like the shoreside restaurants and NCL cannot agree on fair compensation. Too bad, since this was a nice program. If this is true, the program may indeed be gone.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Dining Ashore Program

The division wrote a letter to NCL requesting an increase to the compensation for the Dine Ashore lunch and dinner program. The compensation has been unchanged for 5 years, yet inflation has obviously impacted the profitability of the program with the costs borne directly by the restaurants. It was asked of all members that we act together, and withhold any menus or agreements until the issue is resolved. Unfortunately, some members felt that they needed to participate even if an increase was not forthcoming, so the full strength of the group was not achieved, and compensation rates remained the same. However, many members simply were forced to withdraw from the program due to the lack of increase, they didn’t see the benefit of discounted customers (NCL) displacing full price paying customers. We look forward to NCL raising the compensation value so that the program may again return to its full success in allowing visitors to sample Bermudian restaurants instead of always dining on the ship.

Here is an interesting excerpt from the Bermuda Chamber of Commerce's 2006 Annual Report. Sounds like the shoreside restaurants and NCL cannot agree on fair compensation. Too bad, since this was a nice program. If this is true, the program may indeed be gone.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Dining Ashore Program

The division wrote a letter to NCL requesting an increase to the compensation for the Dine Ashore lunch and dinner program. The compensation has been unchanged for 5 years, yet inflation has obviously impacted the profitability of the program with the costs borne directly by the restaurants. It was asked of all members that we act together, and withhold any menus or agreements until the issue is resolved. Unfortunately, some members felt that they needed to participate even if an increase was not forthcoming, so the full strength of the group was not achieved, and compensation rates remained the same. However, many members simply were forced to withdraw from the program due to the lack of increase, they didn’t see the benefit of discounted customers (NCL) displacing full price paying customers. We look forward to NCL raising the compensation value so that the program may again return to its full success in allowing visitors to sample Bermudian restaurants instead of always dining on the ship.

interesting in the US a request to boycott unless prices are increased by a trade organization is an anti-trust violation...and a criminal one at that....and I am sure of that. I once had an investigation started against a podiatric association which tried the same thing and it ended in a consent decree...

interesting in the US a request to boycott unless prices are increased by a trade organization is an anti-trust violation...and a criminal one at that....and I am sure of that. I once had an investigation started against a podiatric association which tried the same thing and it ended in a consent decree...

Maybe NCL's legal staff nixed the idea for similar reasons. Looks like the both the restaurant and the passengers lose.

Since drinks are not included, and many people will be tempted to stray from the "special" menu, I think there would be a lot of opportunity for the restaurants to make money.

Wonder what the compensation offer is? Could be it is the cost of the voucher plus whatever NCL saves on dinner expense. Maybe $10 for lunch and $20 for dinner?

Archived