Soda Pass Question

pylant

Hi All

I've only have experience with HAL. Their soda card, it a little over $20. for 20 punches. HAL didn't care how many drinks you ordered at one time. Once your card was punched out, it was done. I really didn't think the HAL card was worth the price, so I never bought one. Though I saw many others who did.

Would someone please explain to me how Carnival soda card works? Is it an unlimited amount for certain price? What that price is? What is the price of a soda without the card.

My DD's (21 & 18) will be w/my DH and I on the Carnival Glory in October. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to make sure we make wise decisionis.

Thanks for any advice.

Tammie

I am trying to figure out if myself and hubby could get away with 1 soda pass. Can you order 2 drinks at a time or do they have long lines. For instance in the bar if we wanted orange juice and cranberry juice or if we wanted 2 sodas while sitting on the deck. I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of drinks but want to make sure we both can get our moneys worth paying for 2 passes.

Soda Syrup plus soda water runs about 5-10 cents / 12 ounce.

The bar tenders may not be serving you first because they already got your tip, but trust me it isn't physicall possible to drink the ship into the red. :D

I figure that the cruise get a really good deal from coke and others on their syrup. For fun lets figure 5 cents/drink, that means you are in the black by drinking 2400 ounces of soda for every 10 dollars of your soda card, or 10.75 gallons, or 70.96 liters. :eek:

Hi All

I've only have experience with HAL. Their soda card, it a little over $20. for 20 punches. HAL didn't care how many drinks you ordered at one time. Once your card was punched out, it was done. I really didn't think the HAL card was worth the price, so I never bought one. Though I saw many others who did.

Would someone please explain to me how Carnival soda card works? Is it an unlimited amount for certain price? What that price is? What is the price of a soda without the card.

My DD's (21 & 18) will be w/my DH and I on the Carnival Glory in October. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to make sure we make wise decisionis.

Thanks for any advice.

Tammie

On a serious note, a dollar a drink is a good deal!! I can't recall ever paying for a soda for less then a dollar except when I buy it myself. My recollection last time on Carnival that the breakeven for the drinker between the all you can drink card and pay as you go was about two soda's a day. If we planned to buy more then two a day then the all you can drink card was cheaper. My kids don't come close so it was go as you drink on the few nights we made it a treat.

The bar tenders may not be serving you first because they already got your tip, but trust me it isn't physicall possible to drink the ship into the red. :D

I figure that the cruise get a really good deal from coke and others on their syrup. For fun lets figure 5 cents/drink, that means you are in the black by drinking 2400 ounces of soda for every 10 dollars of your soda card, or 10.75 gallons, or 70.96 liters. :eek:

I do have to take issue with the above statement. I used to purchase a soda card on every cruise. At the time the bartender would pour the soda from a can in a different size glass that everyone could tell was different from others. If you purchased the soda at the bar, you were given the whole can. At that time the soda did not come from a dispenser. :)

Keep in mind they are using CANS not, fountain (because of the whole de-sal thing) So it is going to have to be a bit higher than that.

Keep in mind they are using CANS not, fountain (because of the whole de-sal thing) So it is going to have to be a bit higher than that.

Goodpoint, between the cost of that aluminum can and lugging all that extra weight on the boat probably pushes that real cost to 15-20 cents a can. That is still a lotta soda to drink to break even :eek:

I am trying to figure out if myself and hubby could get away with 1 soda pass. Can you order 2 drinks at a time or do they have long lines. For instance in the bar if we wanted orange juice and cranberry juice or if we wanted 2 sodas while sitting on the deck. I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of drinks but want to make sure we both can get our moneys worth paying for 2 passes.

You are only supposed to be able to order one drink at a time unless you have more than one card.

I never had any trouble getting a drink, but can truthfully say I was never offered one at the shows.

If you drink more than 4 sodas a day, every day, then getting a soda card would benefit you.

If you do not, I'd purchase them one by one.

There is no need to steal, and yes, two people using one card is considered stealing.

There are those that condone it, and there are those that gleefully admit to thieving.

The pricing per glass of about is about $1.25 + gratuity.

If you drink more than $5.50 a day, then you are ahead getting the soda card.

And no, despite popular opinion, you will not go straight to hell if someone gets you a soda on thier card.

People tend to complain about the pricing, but no one is forcing anyone to buy soda, or buy soda cards.

And there are drinks that are offered free of charge. Including some juices.

I figure it this way - I'm spending hundreds, if not thousands on the cruise. The extra $$$ for a soda card for the week isn't going to kill me - and if it is, I shouldn't be cruising.

My DH lives on Diet Coke so he always buys a soda card. It probably pays for itself for the week by the morning of the second day.

Mine does too :)

My daughter exists on Dr. Pepper.

I'm prolly the only one who didnt really use the soda card as much as I could have, but hubby and daughter more than made up for me :)

Another tip shared on the board--if you are sailing from a port with sales tax (ex. Miami) and purchase that soda card while still in port--you will pay sales tax + 15% gratuity--bringing the $28 soda card to about $34!!!

This is true if you buy it at the bar and they swipe your S&S card. If you purchase the card at a table that is set up where they are writing down folio number's they aren't processed till later and the tax does not show up. At least it didn't for us!

This is true if you buy it at the bar and they swipe your S&S card. If you purchase the card at a table that is set up where they are writing down folio number's they aren't processed till later and the tax does not show up. At least it didn't for us!

This is not true for San Diego. I did the above and was charged extra.

Goodpoint, between the cost of that aluminum can and lugging all that extra weight on the boat probably pushes that real cost to 15-20 cents a can. That is still a lotta soda to drink to break even :eek:

Just think how much they get for the aluminum when they turn them it to recycle....and now all the aluminimu bottles of beer. Cha ching:D

And the fact people don't drink enough to break even....

They are not losing any money IMO........

They know people share if it was a problem they would change their procedures.......

I am a diet coke addict. It's my vice. We really do not drink - maybe I'll have one drink the entire week that I'm away. I can drink 3 cans of diet coke with DINNER, let alone in a day. So can DH.

I actually prefer the fact that the wait staff will pretty much leave me alone unless I motion for them for another diet soda. That being said - when we were on Carnival last year, there was one regular waitress we had in one of the lounges who was -excellent- with bringing us diet coke, and we ended up tipping her above and beyond the original gratuity.

It was interesting when we were on NCL this past January. The soda cards cost twice as much as they do on Carnival. And we found that the one night that we actually ordered alcohol, the wait staff wouldn't leave us alone - to the point of annoyance - during one of the shows. No thank you. I'm actually happy to not have to deal with that. It was next to impossible to get diet coke in the dining room - we got it, but only after a long wait. I've found that once you get to know the wait staff on the traditional dining ships, that the assistant waiter will have it waiting for me every night.

Do they serve Dr Pepper? That would be the only way I would get my money's worth. I do not like coke. Hubby will definately get a card, but I am thinking of sticking with the free drinks. Water is what I drink at home most of the day anyway.

As far as I know, Carnival serves Coke products only. All I saw was Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite.

Dr. Pepper is one of those brands that is bottled by different companies depending on where in the world you are - some places it's bottled by coke, and some by pepsi. So my guess is that you will not see Dr. Pepper on the ship.

Dr. Pepper is one of those brands that is bottled by different companies depending on where in the world you are - some places it's bottled by coke, and some by pepsi. So my guess is that you will not see Dr. Pepper on the ship.

We had Dr. Pepper on the Legend.

Others say they have had Mr. Pibb.

I was actually surprised to see Dr. Pepper, as it's not entirely a Coke product.

Archived