Travel Insurance Question

Sunny AZ Girl

My 79 yo mother just booked a cruise with us for 2009. She does not have a traveling companion lined up at this time, so she booked as a single with a TBD for the second passenger. She has several possibilities and I am sure she will have someone to go with her. However, we do need to get her covered with travel insurance now as she does have a couple of pre-existing conditions that could potentially interfere with the trip. (Nothing serious now, but you never know more than a year down the road).

My question is - in order to be covered for trip cancellation due to medical reasons should she pay for coverage for just 1/2 the total fare or for the entire fare now? If she is not able to get a traveling companion she still intends to go and pay the single supplement. Covering the entire fare now would be a healthy piece of change at her age, but still necessary to have.

Thanks!:)

Most insurances require that a premium be paid shortly after booking. Some companies have an additional rider that can be bought later.

CSA recently announced that they will cover preexisting conditions up to 24 hours before final payment.

Your best bet on the TBD passenger would be to call whatever ins co you decide to go with and ask them.

Here's the announcement:

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL, March 7 – Travel agents and cruise professionals can now offer cruise guests greater flexibility when purchasing travel insurance. Today, CSA Travel Protection (CSA) announced that its newly enhanced travel insurance products and services include acceptance of pre-existing medical conditions prior to or within 24 hours before final trip payment, affording greater flexibility to its customers. A pre-existing medical condition can be a critical factor when deciding on travel insurance, and now CSA offers cruise guests this option in both its Freestyle and Freestyle Luxe products.

“Millions of people will be planning for, or embarking on, a cruise this year, and they plan early. With so much time between the initial trip deposit and final payment, we feel travelers deserve some flexibility in finalizing details,” said Les Maine, CSA chairman and president. “This is just one of many travel-friendly options we offer clients to assure their cruise is one to remember.”

CSA, through its designated service provider, ensures cruise guests on ships of all shapes and sizes receive personal, unparalleled customer service and attention. An assigned customer representative assists customers with emergency and concierge services when stopping in port, from locating a pharmacy to finding an emergency optometrist. Find more information on CSA product and service enhancements at Travel Insurance - CSA Travel Protection Provides Coverage for Your Trip.

At 79 years old, your mother might be better off getting the Princess Travel Care Gold. The Princess insurance doesn't have higher premiums for older travelers so it's often a good choice for senior cruisers. At least check it out. All you have to do is add it to your mother's booking and the insurace cost will be based on the total of what she pays for the cruise.

At 79 years old, your mother might be better off getting the Princess Travel Care Gold. The Princess insurance doesn't have higher premiums for older travelers so it's often a good choice for senior cruisers. At least check it out. All you have to do is add it to your mother's booking and the insurace cost will be based on the total of what she pays for the cruise.

That's a good possibility. I will. Thanks!

Would you be able to tell me if the Princess insurance is paid up front (now) or with final payment?

Would you be able to tell me if the Princess insurance is paid up front (now) or with final payment?

With final payment. You can always add it to the booking and then if you find something better before final payment, cancel it from the booking. You can also add it at any time up until final payment. It doesn't have to be added within hours or days of the booking.

If I recall correctly, pre-exiting conditions as defined by Princess insurance have a 75 day waiting period after insurance is paid up - therefore to cover medical pre-exists and to cover yourself for trip cancellation, I would recommend you pay for the insurance 75 days before the final cruise payment is due (usually 75 days before the cruise) or at least 150 days before the cruise. To verify, check Princess' website and you can access their insurance rules/regs.

If I recall correctly, pre-exiting conditions as defined by Princess insurance have a 75 day waiting period after insurance is paid up - therefore to cover medical pre-exists and to cover yourself for trip cancellation, I would recommend you pay for the insurance 75 days before the final cruise payment is due (usually 75 days before the cruise) or at least 150 days before the cruise. To verify, check Princess' website and you can access their insurance rules/regs.

Princess Insurance does not have a 75 day waiting period after it is paid up. For Pre-existing conditions there has to be no change in the condition (no medication change, no onset of the condition and no recommended treatment) in the 60 days preceeding purchasing the insurance for that condition to be covered. The insurance can be purchased at any time from booking until final payment. You can add it at the time of the booking or wait until final payment to add it - you can choose when to pay for it even if it is added when booking but it has to be paid for no later than final payment.

Thank you, everyone. However, I cannot find the terms & conditions or even description of Princess' insurance on their website. Is it hiding in plain site?:confused:

Thank you, everyone. However, I cannot find the terms & conditions or even description of Princess' insurance on their website. Is it hiding in plain site?:confused:

Hi I am in the UK and couldn't find any information on the princess website at all - however I called them up and they linked me up with their recommended insurers - As my husband had diverticulitis problems which ended up with a stoma bag, plus a reversal operation last April then again in October of last year, I was worried as in the UK they do not usually cover pre existing conditions - I was therefore pleasantly surprised when I was quoted a very good price which included his past ops and in the event it should re occur (which is doubtful but none the less re assuring) Hubby had numerous infections right up till the end of November last year - but Princess where happy at the time of the insurance that he was ok for the cover - they did ask me whether his wound had healed - and if there were any outstanding consultant appointments etc, but it didnt affect the cover that included the pre exsisting condition and recent ops and infections that resulted in him being continually hospitalised, and I am so happy that its been inplace since shortly after we booked (January) as its just peice of mind for us knowing that we are covered.

Just give Princess a ring, I am sure they will point you in the right direction - good luck.

Hi I am in the UK and couldn't find any information on the princess website at all - however I called them up and they linked me up with their recommended insurers - As my husband had diverticulitis problems which ended up with a stoma bag, plus a reversal operation last April then again in October of last year, I was worried as in the UK they do not usually cover pre existing conditions - I was therefore pleasantly surprised when I was quoted a very good price which included his past ops and in the event it should re occur (which is doubtful but none the less re assuring) Hubby had numerous infections right up till the end of November last year - but Princess where happy at the time of the insurance that he was ok for the cover - they did ask me whether his wound had healed - and if there were any outstanding consultant appointments etc, but it didnt affect the cover that included the pre exsisting condition and recent ops and infections that resulted in him being continually hospitalised, and I am so happy that its been inplace since shortly after we booked (January) as its just peice of mind for us knowing that we are covered.

Just give Princess a ring, I am sure they will point you in the right direction - good luck.

I am glad that your DH is doing better and am hoping that you'll have a wonderful cruise!:)

Could be my computer , but all I get is a blank screen!:eek:

Could be my computer , but all I get is a blank screen!:eek:

It is an Adobe pdf file - is it possible that you do not have Adobe Reader? If you don't you can get a free one to download at places like c/net.

Princess's pre-existing clause is complicated (IMO) compared to other policies. And also the medical benefits are minimal compared to 3rd party insurance.

Read all the fine print of several plans and pick which is the best. For my mom, we avoid Princess's policy because a change in medication can mean that she isn't covered for that condition.

We personally use the Princess Travel Gold as have two Cruising couples that we know.

In the past two years, both of these couples have had the unfortunate experience of having their Cruise terminated because of illness to a partner while in mid Cruise. Besides Medical, make sure that you have Trip Interruption Coverage as well .....this will insure that all of the associated costs to get you home for you and your spouse/family member would be covered.

With that in mind, please think of the following scenario when asking about coverage with any of the Insurance Companies.

Your Mother decides to travel by herself and has a Medical condition during the Cruise where she is required to leave the ship to be Hospitalized.

Believe me, She is going to require help. So this means that you would have to leave the Ship as well to attend to her needs and make preparations for flight(s) home together with all of the luggage etc etc.

If you are travelling with your Husband ...would all three of you be covered if you decided to all leave the ship? Something to think about.

Both of these couples that I am referring to were fortunate that their Credit Cards were clear of debt when they left for the Cruise as they had to "max their credit" to get home......20 - 25K.....just something else to think about.

As far as we know, most of the Insurance Companies require you to pay your expenses up front as you go... and will reimburse your expenses afterwards.....again, something to think about.

Both of these couples were fully re-imbursed for their expenses using Princess Gold Coverage.

With Princess ...if you pay 20 /25 percent deposit...I would also pay the Insurance as well. This in all probability would cover the waiting period requirements for pre existing conditions. Princess will accept this payment anytime up until Final Payment Day.

Hope this information helps.

BionicBeacher

Your mother should also look into MedjetAssist should she be hospitalized and need transport home - no fees for the transport if have this. If she has AARP the premium is cheaper - even if she has to join AARP to get the rate it is cheaper.

Archived