1st timer needs help on Cozumel excursions - Inspiration Nov. 2008

Hi all - we have booked the Inspiration for this November (the week leading up to Thanksgiving). I haven't cruised in 20 years, it will be DH's first cruise and we are also bringing Nana to help with our 2 boys, ages 5 & 7. We have joining cabins - me & DH in one and Nana & boys in the other ;). My DH wants to scuba dive while in Cozumel (there won't be enough time in Grand Cayman) and I thought I would take Nana and the boys to one of the all-inclusives for the day. I've been reading about Nachi Cocum, El Sid and Playa del Mia and I'm looking for advice on the pros/cons of these resorts - I'm definitely looking for kid friendly.

Any other "cruise advice" you can provide would also be greatly appreciated - especially if it is ship specific. Nana and the boys don't know about the trip yet so it will be a big surprise. My husband was a little hesitant to agree to a cruise until I mentioned the unlimited eating he could do!!

Thanks for all your help/advice/comments - this board is great - if my work only knew how much time I've been spending on here!

We booked an AI at Nachi Cocom, but from what I understand it is more of an adult beach. Not much to do for kids. Playa Mia is where the cruise ships dump off a lot of passengers, so I would see how many ships are in port that day before I booked it. I do not know much about El Cid. Based on the research I have done on these boards, Paradise Beach is the best place for kids, lots of stuff for them to do, but they do not do an AI-- it is pay as you go.

I plan to write a review on Nachi when I get home.

We booked Nachi Cocom for our group of 8. We range from 3-57 in age. I'm not sure it's the best choice for the little one but the 7 adults will enjoy it. Plus, my 3 year old will be content paddling around in the pool and shoveling the sand into a bucket.

I didn't see it on your list but I do not recommend Playa Uvas for the kids. We did the AI there last time and had a great time, but it was all adults. A 5 and 8 year old would probably be bored to tears.

Have you thought about Paradise Beach? How much are you and Nana planning to drink and eat? If you keep your bill under $49 each, then it will be the same price as Nachi.

Hi,

I can't help with your question, but I just wanted to say that I'll be on my very first cruise ever on the November 17th Inspiration sailing. Is that the one you're referring to?

Our group will be myself (35) DH (36) DS (13) DD(9) my mother, a good friend of hers and another 30-something couple. We're surprising our kids, too. I'm hoping to not tell them until August. Do you have any ideas on how you'll tell your kids?:)

Thank you all for your input - we will definitely look into Playa del Mia as it looks more kid friendly. I will also do some research on Paradise Beach.

Novembercruiser - We are sailing out of Tampa on Saturday the 22nd which I believe is the day you will be returning. We are coming home on Thanksgiving Day - our Turkey Day dinner will consist of airport fare - small price to pay I guess!

I haven't figured out how to tell the kids yet, but I'm giving my mother a picture of the ship in her Mother's Day card along with a few new outfits. She will be very excited - until I tell her that she is sharing a cabin with my kids!! JK - she will still be thrilled because she isn't paying!

Archived