Juneau Dogsledding,Glacier landing and flightseeing in one excursion

jstpshe

What is the best company to go with that has all three in one excursion of the Dogsledding,Glacier landing and flightseeing in Juneau?

How would I get a hold of them and what was your experience with this excursion?

Thanks

What is the best company to go with that has all three in one excursion of the Dogsledding,Glacier landing and flightseeing in Juneau?

How would I get a hold of them and what was your experience with this excursion?

Thanks

I just seen these 2 on the RCCl site and was wondering if anyone did them and their experience.

Also which one would you choose? Isn't the Medenhall Glacier something I can go to on my own?

Are these any much different in price or better than indenpendent one?

Approximate Duration

3 hour

Prices starting from

499.00 USD Adult

s.gif

Glacier Dogsled Adventure via Helicopter

Combine the Four Glacier Adventure via Helicopter with a dogsled ride on a glacier! Approx. 30-35 minute flight 1 hour at the dogsled camp.

s.gif

s.gif

Join in a combination of Alaska's most highly desired activities - helicopter flightseeing, a glacier landing, and a dogsled ride. This excursion combines the Four Glacier Adventure via Helicopter Tour with a once-in-a-lifetime dogsled ride on a glacier. Fly over the Juneau Icefield and land on the Norris Glacier, home of the exclusive dog mushing camp. After your helicopter touches down on the snow-capped glacier, view the scenery high above as you hear stories of the famous 1,000 mile Iditarod dogsled race from Anchorage to Nome. The highlight of your visit to the camp is a dogsled ride on the snow-covered glacier. Your flightseeing resumes over the glacial landscape as you watch for bears, mountain goats, and moose. Warm layered clothing, jacket and gloves are recommended. Due to weight restrictions on board helicopters, all participants must register their body weight at the time of booking. This is a requirement of the helicopter companies to ensure guest safety and comfort. For security purposes, no bags are allowed on the flight. Approximately 30-35 minutes flight time and 1 hour at the dogsled camp. Dependent on prevailing ice conditions this tour may be subject to cancellation toward the end of the season.

NEXT ONE

Approximate Duration

2 hour 45 minute

Prices starting from 529.00 USD Adult

s.gif

Dog Sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier via Helicopter

View crevasses and glacier carved peaks from your helicopter as you fly to the dogsled camp at the Mendenhall Glacier. Approx. 30 minutes flight; 1 hour at the dogsled camp.

s.gif

s.gif

When you visit Southeast Alaska and combine the originators of glacier helicopter tours with the oldest operating dogsled tour company you get a once in a lifetime experience. After arriving at the heliport, board your helicopter for a flightseeing tour over the lush rainforest, deep blue crevasses and glacier carved peaks enroute to the dogsled camp on the Mendenhall Glacier. Here the professional mushers and Alaskan sled dogs will have you driving the team or relaxing in the sled as you take in the awe inspiring scenery. You will have time to talk with the mushers or take pictures with the dogs before your helicopter takes you back to the heliport. Due to weight restrictions on board helicopters, all participants must register their body weight at the time of booking. This is a requirement of the helicopter companies to ensure guest safety and comfort. For security purposes, no bags are allowed on the helicopter. A secure location will be provided at the office for storing personal items. Approximately 30 minutes flight time and 1 hour at the dogsled camp.

Dependent on prevailing ice conditions this tour may be subject to cancellation toward the end of the season.

jstpshe - I was also really interested in doing one of these tours in August when we travel however, there were a few threads on this topic a few months back which made me re-think.

I can't find the threads now but from memory, the conversations/advice given was that towards end August/September, these heli combined with dog sled tours were more likely to be cancelled due to fog/bad weather. It had something to do with the height of the dog camp and the heli couldn't get there if it was fogged in. I think that people said if it was June/July you had a better chance.

I hope you get to do either of these tours as they sounded fantastic - hopefully other experienced people who have done these tours can let you know more. Best of luck :)

You can't have it all, unless you charter a helicopter.

The flying portion is less on the glacier dog sledding and regular glacier helicopter landings, compare to the longer, pilot's choice tours and double landings.

Glacier Dog sledding is the most canceled of Alaska tours, it also is mostly snow based at the landing, where the glacier helicopter landing tours are mostly ice.

All flightsee over glaciers. Just varies according to route.

There are only 4 helicopter companies, one is just about always totally ship contracted two others that do glacier dog sledding.

Thanks

I just seen these 2 on the RCCl site and was wondering if anyone did them and their experience.

Also which one would you choose? Isn't the Medenhall Glacier something I can go to on my own?

Are these any much different in price or better than indenpendent one?

Approximate Duration

3 hour

Prices starting from

499.00 USD Adult

s.gif

Glacier Dogsled Adventure via Helicopter

Combine the Four Glacier Adventure via Helicopter with a dogsled ride on a glacier! Approx. 30-35 minute flight 1 hour at the dogsled camp.

s.gif

s.gif

Join in a combination of Alaska's most highly desired activities - helicopter flightseeing, a glacier landing, and a dogsled ride. This excursion combines the Four Glacier Adventure via Helicopter Tour with a once-in-a-lifetime dogsled ride on a glacier. Fly over the Juneau Icefield and land on the Norris Glacier, home of the exclusive dog mushing camp. After your helicopter touches down on the snow-capped glacier, view the scenery high above as you hear stories of the famous 1,000 mile Iditarod dogsled race from Anchorage to Nome. The highlight of your visit to the camp is a dogsled ride on the snow-covered glacier. Your flightseeing resumes over the glacial landscape as you watch for bears, mountain goats, and moose. Warm layered clothing, jacket and gloves are recommended. Due to weight restrictions on board helicopters, all participants must register their body weight at the time of booking. This is a requirement of the helicopter companies to ensure guest safety and comfort. For security purposes, no bags are allowed on the flight. Approximately 30-35 minutes flight time and 1 hour at the dogsled camp. Dependent on prevailing ice conditions this tour may be subject to cancellation toward the end of the season.

NEXT ONE

Approximate Duration

2 hour 45 minute

Prices starting from 529.00 USD Adult

s.gif

Dog Sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier via Helicopter

View crevasses and glacier carved peaks from your helicopter as you fly to the dogsled camp at the Mendenhall Glacier. Approx. 30 minutes flight; 1 hour at the dogsled camp.

s.gif

s.gif

When you visit Southeast Alaska and combine the originators of glacier helicopter tours with the oldest operating dogsled tour company you get a once in a lifetime experience. After arriving at the heliport, board your helicopter for a flightseeing tour over the lush rainforest, deep blue crevasses and glacier carved peaks enroute to the dogsled camp on the Mendenhall Glacier. Here the professional mushers and Alaskan sled dogs will have you driving the team or relaxing in the sled as you take in the awe inspiring scenery. You will have time to talk with the mushers or take pictures with the dogs before your helicopter takes you back to the heliport. Due to weight restrictions on board helicopters, all participants must register their body weight at the time of booking. This is a requirement of the helicopter companies to ensure guest safety and comfort. For security purposes, no bags are allowed on the helicopter. A secure location will be provided at the office for storing personal items. Approximately 30 minutes flight time and 1 hour at the dogsled camp.

Dependent on prevailing ice conditions this tour may be subject to cancellation toward the end of the season.

Your time reference is the story here. These are also essentially the same on the dog sledding portion. Just run by two different companies.

Mendenhall is no better/worse than any other glacier, only more known.

You can get to the Mendenhall glacier visitor center easily, BUT from there you have no access to the glacier. If you want access, you either have to fly in or plan on extensive hiking and trekking using a guide.

Hello, we did our helicopter ride over the 4 glaciers, landed on the glacier and then took the 45 min dog sled ride. We were able to stop 3 times on the route so my husband and I could change positions. Yes, you do help stop the sled (so you do help drive the dog sled).

It was the BEST excursion we have ever been on. The weather was great. It was about 45 on land and once we hit the glacier it was alittle bit colder but if you dress in layers you should be fine. We actually started taking off clothes once we got back to the helicopter landing because we were so warm, so DONT" overdress just because you are on the glacier. (our tour guide said they laugh every time they see people dressed up so much).

Our tour guide was great. His name was Jeff Deeter and is presently in the Iditarod race and doing very well. He owns 45 of his own dogs and I think he's only 21yrs.

We were there in June 2007 - see picture above - Don't be afraid to pay the price (yes it came be alittle bit steep), but this is a once in a life time excursion. And I'm so glad we choose Juneau to do it.

You can't have it all, unless you charter a helicopter.

The flying portion is less on the glacier dog sledding and regular glacier helicopter landings, compare to the longer, pilot's choice tours and double landings.

Glacier Dog sledding is the most canceled of Alaska tours, it also is mostly snow based at the landing, where the glacier helicopter landing tours are mostly ice.

All flightsee over glaciers. Just varies according to route.

There are only 4 helicopter companies, one is just about always totally ship contracted two others that do glacier dog sledding.

The ship tours on TP are basically the same price as Coastal and Temco - but do you think the non-ship companies are the better options? I know most people say not to take ship tours - but you can only get so many people in a helicopter so doesn't seem like it should matter. What do you think?

The ship tours on TP are basically the same price as Coastal and Temco - but do you think the non-ship companies are the better options? I know most people say not to take ship tours - but you can only get so many people in a helicopter so doesn't seem like it should matter. What do you think?

Frequently, Coastal is cheaper than ship excursions. They are now the same price?? Have you confirmed current pricing?

Coastal is noted for more personal tours and in the past, were slightly more flexable with time. I found one ship contractor to be extremely shuttle like.

Frequently, Coastal is cheaper than ship excursions. They are now the same price?? Have you confirmed current pricing?

Coastal is noted for more personal tours and in the past, were slightly more flexable with time. I found one ship contractor to be extremely shuttle like.

There was not much difference in the price - and they are offering one that is more called a Glacier Trek where you are on the glacier for two hours - I am wondering if I am standing there waiting for others to join me - or if it is really as stated - 30 minute flight time and hiking on the glacier for 2 hours with a lot of physical activity. Looking at the coastal and temsco tours - none offer that much time on the glacier. And do I really want that much time on the glacier? Sorry to ask so many questions but this is my first time to Alaska and I want to do as much as possible and we like hiking and physical activity.

There was not much difference in the price - and they are offering one that is more called a Glacier Trek where you are on the glacier for two hours - I am wondering if I am standing there waiting for others to join me - or if it is really as stated - 30 minute flight time and hiking on the glacier for 2 hours with a lot of physical activity. Looking at the coastal and temsco tours - none offer that much time on the glacier. And do I really want that much time on the glacier? Sorry to ask so many questions but this is my first time to Alaska and I want to do as much as possible and we like hiking and physical activity.

If you "like" hiking, then look at a glacier trek. The regular glaicer helicopter landings have only 20-30 mins. usually on the glacier. Time for a quick walk and about it. The treck- involve and it's important to only consider the longest available in my opinion. Expecially with the cost of it, the short treks barely have time to suit up and get on the ice. Longer is always better here. Northstar Treking is a top operator to consider for independent. Don't look for significant savings, the key here is more personal tours and sometimes longer.

If you "like" hiking, then look at a glacier trek. The regular glaicer helicopter landings have only 20-30 mins. usually on the glacier. Time for a quick walk and about it. The treck- involve and it's important to only consider the longest available in my opinion. Expecially with the cost of it, the short treks barely have time to suit up and get on the ice. Longer is always better here. Northstar Treking is a top operator to consider for independent. Don't look for significant savings, the key here is more personal tours and sometimes longer.

Thanks I'll check them out. I appreciate the info - you're the queen!

jstpshe - I was also really interested in doing one of these tours in August when we travel however, there were a few threads on this topic a few months back which made me re-think.

I can't find the threads now but from memory, the conversations/advice given was that towards end August/September, these heli combined with dog sled tours were more likely to be cancelled due to fog/bad weather. It had something to do with the height of the dog camp and the heli couldn't get there if it was fogged in. I think that people said if it was June/July you had a better chance.

I hope you get to do either of these tours as they sounded fantastic - hopefully other experienced people who have done these tours can let you know more. Best of luck :)

We did this through Norwegian in late August last year. I think we were the last trip for the season (or second last).

Specifically we did the 4 glacier helicopter flight with the dogcamp/dogsledding on Norris Glacier. ERA was the helicopter company.

IT WAS A GREAT EXCURSION. Expensive but so worth doing once in your life.

Our 12yo who has a huge fondness for dogs especially loved it.

Hi Sheila, yep we just returned June 2007. We were on the Radiance of the Seas and booked thru the cruise line. I've never stories of going with independent tours, and for us we just go with cruise line tours.

It was the BEST excursion for all ages. Everytime I look at the picture, I get that "Oh my GOD, that was the best excursion we have ever been on feeling" all over again and just break into a big smile again. Really, it was super and everyone that was in our group just loved it.

In our helicopter there were 4 adults plus the pilot (depends on your weight). If possible get the front seat - super view and great for pic taking. Well anyway, the ride was about 30 min, we flew over the 4 glaciers, the pilot and passengers all have head phone on and he tells you where you are, the different name of the glaciers etc - very informative.

When we landed on the glacier, we were introducted to our guide and off we went. Like I mentioned earlier, the actual dog sled ride was about 45 min. The guide stops around 3 times - one because another sled tiped over in front of us (DH drivers LOL) - so you really do need to help steer the sled- LOL (making sure you don't go left when the dogs want to go right ).. We really had a blast and would do it again in a heart beat.

Good luck and let me know what you decided and how you like it

Archived