Skip the St. Kitt's "Scenic" Railway Tour

mistereks

I thought this was probably the best and most organized shore excursion Ive ever taken. We were driven from the ship by a small..modern..clean minibus directly to the "train station". When we arrived we stepped from the bus almost directly to the waiting double deck train car (which had the matching number to our bus number). The bottom car was air conditioned and immaculately clean (including the restroom) The upstairs seats were cushioned and very comfortable. They did face inward, but there was more than enough room for each person to swivel in the seat and see behind them.

The views were wonderful...and it was rather thrilling to pass over the steep ravines on the narrow trestles. As we passed through the small towns, people would come out of their homes to smile and wave (and they werent waving a "finger" as encountered in other ports) They really seemed (rightfully) proud of their island. Everyone we encountered was extremely polite.

The drinks were included in the price and were served to us. At the end of the journey we stopped at a small station and were transferred to the bus we arrived on earlier (the same number as the train car) We were given a free cd of the trip to show "the folks back home"

I would do this trip again without hesitation. Ive never seen such a well run shore excursion.

What an incredibly beautiful island.

I thought this was probably the best and most organized shore excursion Ive ever taken. We were driven from the ship by a small..modern..clean minibus directly to the "train station". When we arrived we stepped from the bus almost directly to the waiting double deck train car (which had the matching number to our bus number). The bottom car was air conditioned and immaculately clean (including the restroom) The upstairs seats were cushioned and very comfortable. They did face inward, but there was more than enough room for each person to swivel in the seat and see behind them.

The views were wonderful...and it was rather thrilling to pass over the steep ravines on the narrow trestles. As we passed through the small towns, people would come out of their homes to smile and wave (and they werent waving a "finger" as encountered in other ports) They really seemed (rightfully) proud of their island. Everyone we encountered was extremely polite.

The drinks were included in the price and were served to us. At the end of the journey we stopped at a small station and were transferred to the bus we arrived on earlier (the same number as the train car) We were given a free cd of the trip to show "the folks back home"

I would do this trip again without hesitation. Ive never seen such a well run shore excursion.

What an incredibly beautiful island.

We got the CD when we took the excursion also. Friends took it in January 2007 and it was for sale only then. Nice to know that they went back to the freebie.

Charlie

I agree that the train rides sounds lovely and my DH and I wanted to take this excursion but we refuse to pay the exhorbitant costs that HAL is charging. We thought we could book the train trip direct but they do not book privately on the day that the ships are in port I guess. The train ride is much cheaper if booked on your own if for instance you were staying on St. Kitts at a resort.

We opted to hire a taxi guide for the day and I'm sure we will see the exact same sights and be able to tour the whole island for much less money.

Question - there are five of us going together, but we each booked our excursions separately through Carnival. Will they let our group go on the same car? Someone said you get a number and that's the car you go to. We'd be disappointed if we weren't together. fuzzywuzzy, how much is HAl charging for this tour? Hopefully you find a good tour to go on, too bad you have to miss it - I know we'll see somethings that a car can't get to, but you may see some things a train can't get to. :)

Question - there are five of us going together, but we each booked our excursions separately through Carnival. Will they let our group go on the same car? Someone said you get a number and that's the car you go to. We'd be disappointed if we weren't together. fuzzywuzzy, how much is HAl charging for this tour? Hopefully you find a good tour to go on, too bad you have to miss it - I know we'll see somethings that a car can't get to, but you may see some things a train can't get to. :)

Hi: Yes, I would still love to take the train but.....too expensive for us. If I remember right, I believe HAL is charging about $110.pp. WAYYYYY too much.

:(

Recently took the St. Kitt's Scenic Railway tour and were VERY disappointed.

To each his own. I found the railway tour the best part of my 7 day Caribbean cruise back in 2006 and found St. Kitts the loveliest of all the islands.

Sure its not the Orient Express and you're not exactly travelling through mansions but St. Kitts is by far a very lovely unspoiled island and the "real" St. Kitts inhabitants and their homes do not always take over the tour.

I enjoyed the Calypso Christmas singers (since it was Dec when we went) and the free rum punch (or non-alcoholic drinks) were something they were more than generous with. If you are going for a history lesson you might be somewhat dissapointed but if you want to see a non-touristy, actual working island in the Caribbean then this tour might be for you.

I'm sorry the OP was disappointed in the tour but it was a hit with the crowd on our cruise who thought St. Thomas was just too much of a shopping mall.

As for the price. Its a bit on the expensive side but I found it well worth it.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned a few days ago and St. Kitt's was my fav. stop. The train ride was beautiful and showed so much of this island paradise. I loved seeing the little kids waving and shouting and we even saw an Obama for President sign on one of the shacks!! The old sugar cane plantation houses were haunting to look at as they faced the Caribbean Sea with decaying windmills and chimney stacks on the property. As someone else has said, my fav. photos of our cruise came from St. Kitt's.

I don't know that I would repeat the train ride,but I am glad we got to ride on it at least once. It was a nice experience. Shelly

I was on the Miracle to St Kitts in early December and heard that there were 2 train excursions booked ... the first one was fine but on the second one, the train derailed. Everyone was safe but ...

Don't know any more details than that ... I'd be a bit cautious!

• 2 weeks later...

I found a web site where you can see Brimstone hill AND do the train ride for $98pp and half for children. http://www.stkittstourstore.com/tours_offered/tours_scenic_railway.php

We are coming in on Carnival Victory which charges $79 for just the train ride. I was debating about renting a car to see Brimstone Hill and the island but after reading these posts I think I will forego the hassle of renting a car and book through the aforementioned website.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the train trip years ago. As a matter of fact, we were on it just as the beginning of Ivan started. We saw the black clouds, felt the sprinkling rain and then lucky for us – but not them – we left before the island was devastated. No, its not a wildly exciting ride and yes there was definetely squeaking involved but it was still a great way to see the island. We had a large group, around 16 I think. As we were beling loaded into the van I explained that our group was together but obviously didn’t fit into one van. When we got to the train we were told you sat in a certain part of the train, first come, first serve for your spot. I explained to the lady at the train about our group and she diverted people that weren’t in our group to the next train until all of ours were in the same car then she allowed more in. I’m thinking of doing this one again for my GS, he loves trains. He still talks about “Puffying Billing” in Melborne.

Archived