All Things Freedom of the Seas!

We are booked in Cabin 8664(D2). There are 2 hump cabins on deck 8 that have opened up for our sailing, should I switch? Please help.

Well, which would you rather have? More inside room or more outside room and a better view?

D2 - Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sitting area (some with sofa bed), private balcony and private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (214 sq. ft., balcony 68 sq. ft.)

E2 (hump cabin) - Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sitting area (some with sofa bed), private balcony and private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (177 sq. ft., balcony 74 sq. ft.)

My husband and I are booked on FOS 10/04/09 for our 10th anniversary - it will be our first cruise. :D Just wanted to say a huge "Thank You" to everyone for all the great photos, reviews, and websites. I ended up opening a document in Word so I would remember all the great tips!

Any advice for a first-timer on finding quiet, out-of-the-way romantic places? Dinner recommendations (ie: Chops or Portofino?)? How about shore excursions (E. Caribbean itinerary with stops in CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten)?

Thanks in advance!

My husband and I are booked on FOS 10/04/09 for our 10th anniversary - it will be our first cruise. :D Just wanted to say a huge "Thank You" to everyone for all the great photos, reviews, and websites. I ended up opening a document in Word so I would remember all the great tips!

Any advice for a first-timer on finding quiet, out-of-the-way romantic places? Dinner recommendations (ie: Chops or Portofino?)? How about shore excursions (E. Caribbean itinerary with stops in CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten)?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your 10th wedding anniversary!!! We went on our first cruise around our 10th too - it was wonderful AND addicting! This site is terrific for finding valuable info - keep posting questions because many people want to help you. :)

I haven't been on the Freedom yet (we're booking for 2010... sooooo far away), but I can hel you with a few of your questions. For finding that quiet, romantic place, try the heli-pad. We tried both specialty restaurants and recommend both of them; however, if you only have time or the budget for one, we vote for Portofino (you can get a great filet in there too, if one of you prefers steak). Go to the "ports" boards to get tons of info on these ports. We honeymooned in St. Martin and LOVED the island. It's a lot different when you visit for the day, but I hope you enjoy it as we did.

Happy anniversary and happy cruising!!! :D

How about shore excursions (E. Caribbean itinerary with stops in CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten)?

Thanks in advance!

We liked/going again to Divi Beach in St.Maarten and Maegan's Bay in St.Thomas.

We definitely only have the budget for one specialty restaurant. I appreciate the advice about Portofino's - I now have to remember the website I found that had the menu shown. :p

Magen's Bay was one of the places I definitely wanted to see in St. Thomas; however, my hubby is considering a dolphin swim for an excursion and if that happens, I'm afraid I'll be walking around by myself.

We're both so excited, even though it is over a year away. He thinks I'm a little crazy for putting together all these lists of what we will need, but I myself prefer to be prepared. :cool: I guess I'm sort of a research freak - I like to know everything about where we're going and what kinds of things we can do once we get there.

Well, 90 minutes of fast reading I got to the end! Sailed on Freedom during her inaugural season in 2006. Loved it! So much so, we're going back in 2009. Here's some photos of JS 1364 if anyone is interested.

2953358310042203655S600x600Q85.jpg

2999027140042203655S600x600Q85.jpg

2827660540042203655S600x600Q85.jpg

And here we are tendering from her in Grand Cayman

2353507810042203655S600x600Q85.jpg

We're in a D1 this time 9642, does anyone have a photos of this cabin?

First-time cruiser on the 21. December 2008. Some questions:

1) How crowded to the ship feel? Are there certain areas that are always crowded and uncomfortable?

2) The second seating dinner was full, so we were signed up for the first seating, but we're on waiting list for the second seating. What are our chances?

3) What's the inventory (and prices) of the minibar? Do we have to call for roomservice for every beer to be served on our room? We have a balcony and would like to relax on the balcony with a few beers :)

4) What is the price of the "soda card" that everybody seems to be talking about?

5) How crowded are the bathing-areas?

1) I was surprised how uncrowded the ship was, considering it was also sold out for our cruise in May. The only time things felt a little tight was waiting to get off the ship at ports. My advice- if you dont have an excursion, then just wait 1/2 hour.

2) hmmm... I didnt change dinner time, but I did switch tables and there seemed to be a few empty tables during late dining. If you dont have any luck upon boarding, ask the maitre'd on the second day.

3) We didnt have any beer in our mini bar. Just candy, water, soda.... I cant imagine that you can only get one beer at a time. I dont remember seeing alcohol on the room service menu, but bought a bucket of beers at the pool and brought them to the room.

4)The soda card is $7 a day per person for unlimited soft drinks. (coke products, specifically). Unless you drink more than 3 cans of soda a day, it isnt worth it. NOTE: Although iced tea, lemonaide and coffee are no charge, they are only offered in restaurants, and not quick service ones. I had to get a glass of tea from the Windjammer and walk it out to the pool because they didnt have tea or lemonaide at the pool bars- weird...

5) Bathing areas? I assume you mean the pools- they were pretty packed. I LOVED the solarium - didnt have kids with me on this cruise. But if you want to hear/watch the live music, you need to go to the main pool. I would suggest finding a lounger before 9am--- at any of the pools. It seemed to fill up quickest on the first day at sea.

Enjoy your cruise! I sure did!

Our first cruise is coming fast and I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer for me......

Can you book spa services ahead of time or only once your on the ship?

Do they allow you to bring any drinks on the ship when you first board...beer,water,pop...etc?

thanks to those who have offered pics and info on this ship...you guys are great...

thanks Tracy

Our first cruise is coming fast and I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer for me......

Can you book spa services ahead of time or only once your on the ship?

Do they allow you to bring any drinks on the ship when you first board...beer,water,pop...etc?

thanks to those who have offered pics and info on this ship...you guys are great...

thanks Tracy

Hi Tracy!

WOW you picked a great ship to go on for your first cruise! Except you'll be spoiled from anything less from now on, lol!

You need to book spa appts once you board. Go early to ensure you get the time & day you want.

You cannot bring any alcohol aboard, but you can bring water and soda. I've never done it personally but everyone reports they bring their bottled water and cans of soda without any problems.

Have a great cruise and let us know how it went!!! Freedom is AWESOME!!!! :)

Hello all !

Do all Junior suites have a sofa bed ?

What about D1 balcony rooms?

I'd really like to stick with the D1 room, but we definitely need a sofabed.

Thanks for your help !!:o

No, only some JS and some D1 have a sofabed.

Look at the deck plans. There is a symbol for sofabed, and a symbol for pullman bed. If there is NO symbol in a cabin, it has only the twins/queen bed.

Aside from the surfing, the two classes seem virtually identical. For those that have sailed both, what is the pros and cons between the two. Thanks.

The main thing I love about the difference, is the H20 Zone on the pool deck. I am not a 'kid' person (and yes, I am a mother believe it or not, lol), but what's awesome about the Freedom class is that the H20 Zone is a really, really great place, and all the kids hang out over there, instead of in the regular pool area. So it's basically kid-free most of the time. Plus I think the H20 Zone is soooo cool to see and especially at night, when it's all lit up.

Then, yes as you mentioned there's the FlowRider, which is a huge plus for me, because I love it. The Promenade is also a little longer, with a few additions like Sorrento's, which is delicious.

Those are the main differences. I love both classes but I personally definitely prefer the Freedom class!!! :)

Aside from the surfing, the two classes seem virtually identical. For those that have sailed both, what is the pros and cons between the two. Thanks.

There are differences between the first three Voyager class ships ans the last two also. The first three have the balconies inside the structure, while the last two, and all three Freedom class ships have the balcony outside the structure. The result is the last two and the Freedom class balconies have a more open air feel ...

This is the Voyager of the Seas ...

2042153150054935757S600x600Q85.jpg

1202918724060609586S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the Mariner of the Seas ...

2107290510050360393S600x600Q85.jpg

2421090740050360393S600x600Q85.jpg

Also, the first three Voyager ships has a children's area with a small slide and pool. This area is now part of the larger teen area on the last two Voyager ships and the three Freedom ships ...

This area does not exist on the last two Voyager class ships or the three Freedom class ships ...

2347321880037122791S600x600Q85.jpg

Hello everyone! My fiance and I were on FOS in Sept. 2006. ChristieNJ - I think we were on the same sailing - our roll call board was very busy! Sept, 24, 2006 was the sail date. My fiance and I got engaged on the back of the ship, directly behind the flowrider on our first night sailing. Now, next year, we're taking our 1st anniversary cruise on the same ship! Our honeymoon cruise next month is on Vision to the Mexican Riviera. We love cruising!

Freedom of the Seas is definitely our favorite ship! We've been on Freedom, Explorer and Carnival Victory. He has also been on Carnival Jubilee.

Hello everyone! My fiance and I were on FOS in Sept. 2006. ChristieNJ - I think we were on the same sailing - our roll call board was very busy! Sept, 24, 2006 was the sail date. My fiance and I got engaged on the back of the ship, directly behind the flowrider on our first night sailing. Now, next year, we're taking our 1st anniversary cruise on the same ship! Our honeymoon cruise next month is on Vision to the Mexican Riviera. We love cruising!

Freedom of the Seas is definitely our favorite ship! We've been on Freedom, Explorer and Carnival Victory. He has also been on Carnival Jubilee.

Yes, I do believe I remember you! I don't think we actually met, but I remember you from the rollcall. Your fiance's name.....ack, I know who it is but it's escaping me right now! You're from Central Jersey, though, right?

His name's on the tip of my tongue and now it's going to bug me...LOL! Doesn't it begin with a "P"?

Congrats on your wedding and anniversary cruise! When are you going next year?