I wish Carnival would change the photo process.

LoraJ

and who is to stop someone else from buying your photos

or throwing them out ?>

HHHMMMM....

We think this happened to my teenage daughter and her friend on the Miracle. Just for fun they had their pics taken together many, many times on the ship but they never found ANY of the pictures. We just assumed that maybe there were other teens on board that didn't like them for some reason so they threw them out just to be mean. It didn't occur to me until reading this thread that some older perv who had a thing for teenage girls could have purchased them.:eek: That's just sick.

Since the photos are digital, I would like to see them offer prints for sale over the Internet. When I get home, I always wish I had bought more pictures.

I know it would take a lot of storage space, but if they were available for a month or two. I think they would sell a lot more pictures.

It didn't occur to me until reading this thread that some older perv who had a thing for teenage girls could have purchased them.:eek: That's just sick.

And you don't think it could have been a young man dds age who was smitten with her?

Yep...you know...a little of this...a little of that.:eek: :p

Variety being the spice of life and all...right?

mornin LOP!...True!

personally can't imagine takin someone elses photos, but there are all kinds out there. :cool:

While I commend you all on your idea of digital selection of photos, I believe your missing one very important point of business: Marketing.

You've heard of impulse buying... well, Photos are an emotional purchase.

People can't stand to see a photo taken be thrown away as they are part of a memory. This is why photos cost so much for children sport team photo shoots. Same with weddings. Tons of emotion involved.

So, if Carnival posts all these printed photos for viewing, then they will have a much higher chance of selling them.

That's the photo business for you. :)

I mentioned this to one of the women standing next to me for an hour looking for pics on the sensation last month. I was telling her all about the Disney photopass and I really do think that it is a great idea. I also think that Carnival would save tons of money because it costs money to pay for all of that printing and pay someone to just sit there and put the pictures out. We always purchase a lot of pictures and this last cruise we only came home with 2 because we only found about 5 out of 11 and we only liked 2 of the ones we found.

mornin LOP!...True!

personally can't imagine takin someone elses photos, but there are all kinds out there. :cool:

LOL...Mornin' TydeOne :p

mornin LOP!...True!

mornin, er...afternoon, tyde (one on last night).:D

I wonder why no one purchases any photos of me... (scratching head...) ?

Hmm? Mine either...you suppose we just have the wrong "attributes"?? :p

i haven't been on a cruise with either of you yet (j/k). LOL:p

mornin LOP!...True!

mornin, er...afternoon, tyde (one on last night).:D

I wonder why no one purchases any photos of me... (scratching head...) ?

Hmm? Mine either...you suppose we just have the wrong "attributes"?? :p

i haven't been on a cruise with either of you yet (j/k). LOL:p

I'm not a big Disney fan or anything, but I have to say...if Disney's doing something, it much be working. And by working I mean profitable!

Just add my name to the ever-growing "Enough with the 8X10's already!" list.

And you don't think it could have been a young man dds age who was smitten with her?

Of course it could have been (altho 14 and 15 y/o's generally don't have that kind of money to spend). It could have been anybody but the idea that it could have been some pervert is the one that bothers me the most. If it was someone their age I would hate to have seen their S&S bill because it was a lot of pictures. Bet Mom and Dad wouldn't have been too happy. LOL. We'll never know anyway. It was just too bad that my daughter and her friend never got the chance to purchase a nice photo of them together.

While I commend you all on your idea of digital selection of photos, I believe your missing one very important point of business: Marketing.

People can't stand to see a photo taken be thrown away as they are part of a memory. This is why photos cost so much for children sport team photo shoots. Same with weddings. Tons of emotion involved.

So, if Carnival posts all these printed photos for viewing, then they will have a much higher chance of selling them.

I think you are dead on acurate.. I know when i am searching that neverending wall.. and i find the photos of me and my husband, and he has his eyes closed or mouth open and i am squinting from the sun, i still can not pass them up! Thankfully he is usually with me, grabs the unflattering stills from my hand -rips them up and brings them to the counter..!! LOL

I doubt they'll change the process too much because of the impulse buy. They're banking on the fact that when you have it in your hands, you'll be more likely to buy it. It's just like the shelves full of little things at the check-out of a store. You're more likely to buy something that you have right there, as opposed to having to view on a computer & order. How many parents can't stand the idea of throwing a good picture of their children away? How many women love the pics & pressure their man into getting them? I know DH would have be fine with far fewer pictures than I got on our first cruise. The second cruise, we just avoided the picture gallery & the photographers.

Done right, digital can increase your impulse sales for photos. Disney has done this extremely well. Current systems on Carnival require you to physically go to the gallery and look around until you find your particular photos which are in no particular order. And you can only do this during certain times when the gallery is open. Oppose this with a system whereby you could view them on your in-room TV. While the husband is shaving for dinner, the wife looks at the pictures and sees all of the pictures of their family. Or after the show before bed, everyone in the family looks at the pictures. You wind up with a lot more opportunities for viewing, which translates into increased sales. The next thing I think you'll be seeing is a monitor right there when the photo is shot, showing what the photo looks like. This will really increase impulse sales.

A lot of the high price of photos has to do with return on investment. This is true for any professional photo anywhere. There is a lot of expensive equipment involved. They aren't using $5 disposables from Walmart but literally $1000s of dollars worth of equipment at each photo station. Plus the time for the photographer to set everything up (Lights, background, etc..), take the photos, take everything down and then someone to use expensive printing equipment to print the photos. The cost of the photos needs to pay for all of this equipment and man/hours, set something aside for buying replacement or upgrading equipment and return a profit, or the photographer goes out of business. Digital can help in this part of the photo business by cutting down on consumables. Consumables are things that can only be used once like ink, paper, film. All the cruise lines have gone to using digital cameras to cut out the cost of film and the expensive and environmentally hazardous developing. No more toxic waste from the developing chemicals, just compact flash that can be used over and over. Going to a digital display and print on demand system will cut out all of the overprinting that now occurs. Everyone has commented on the waste of all the photos thrown away at the end of each voyage. I'd be interested to see what their sell rate is. I'd be really surprised if it was over 10%. The decrease in consumables will probably pay for the display system over time.

Enjoy

Ron

Archived