Seattle residents or experienced visitors

emerylynne

How much time would you suggest is needed at the following places...not looking to shop as much as to see things.

Space Needle, is an hour enough? I don't think we need to stand there all day.

Pike Market, can you see much of it in a few hours?

Pioneer place, underground tour is 90 minutes, how much more time should we plan to spend?

Chinatown, again is a few hours enough?

We are trying to decide how many days early we should come or if we should just plan a later trip back to explore Seattle.

thanks for any input.

Hi!

Good questions. We are flying in to Seattle a day early. Sweetheart & I plan to visit Pike's Market and Underground Seattle the next morning. Maybe Space Needle after lunch. We've got tickets to a baseball game that evening. That still leaves some time just to wander around Pioneer area if we feel like it.

Don't get me wrong - most of the itenerary is carved in Jello. We can be as leisurely as we like. It's just that the transportation system is supposed to be great in downtown Seattle and the hotel is close to everything with a free shuttle to get us started. Check with your hotel. If they have a concierge or tour desk they may have some great ideas. Other posters wioll have some great ideas too, I'm sure.

How much time would you suggest is needed at the following places...not looking to shop as much as to see things.

Space Needle, is an hour enough? I don't think we need to stand there all day.

Pike Market, can you see much of it in a few hours?

Pioneer place, underground tour is 90 minutes, how much more time should we plan to spend?

Chinatown, again is a few hours enough?

We are trying to decide how many days early we should come or if we should just plan a later trip back to explore Seattle.

thanks for any input.

Far as I'm concerned, 30 seconds is more than enough for the Space Needle, but I'm biased against that hunk of scrap metal. Don't go up there on a windy day without your seasickness meds (seriously). So, yes, you should be more than satisfied with an hour.

As for the Market, you can probably see a good portion of the ground floor of the main building in a couple of hours. You could be in there for three days and never see ALL of it. Map:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

Again, you could spend the better part of a day in Pioneer Square, just window shopping even, if you like fine art, handcrafted rugs, books, historic buildings and such. The tour is a good beginning, but it is all under the streets, so you don't see what is above you except as you walk past it.

The International District is a spend the time you want to type of a place, not really a whole lot of touristy stuff there to see, though you should go in and see the Uwajimaya Market, that place is fascinating.

SeattleCruiseLover - I posted a question for you on West Coast Departures...or atleast I thought I did, but didn't see it come up. Anyway, I will ask it here. We are arriving in Seattle on May 30th for our Alaskan cruise on the Oosterdam on May 31st. Already have a hotel reserved for the night pre-cruise, but are now thinking out of the box, and looking at renting a cabin for that night on Whidbey Island. One question tho - is there a bridge to the island, or do we have to take the ferry? We're renting a car anyway, but would rather drive to the cabin on Whidbey than wait for a ferry, particularly for the trip to the cruise terminal the next day - we want to be up bright and early to get back over to Seattle, return the rental car, and get to the dock to board the "O" as soon as possible. Don't want to worry about going on the ferry the morning of the cruise. Would appreciate any insight you can give me on this! Thanx, Karen! You're a gem - all your advice and responses to questions have been right on the mark!

Hi Everyone,

I agree that the Space Needle is not that exciting but the Experience Music Project, right next door, would be enjoyable if you're a music buff.

Seattle has a terrific zoo (Woodland Park) and aquarium (on the waterfront). There's a new outdoor sculpture park not far from the cruise terminal. I haven't been but it's on my list of things to do.

If you're active, you can rent a kayak on Lake Union and paddle by the houseboats.

I recommend going to Pike Place hungry, as there are several yummy bakeries, lots of fresh fruit, samples of cheese, etc. to munch on. Stop in at Market Spice for some great tea.

Enjoy!

Lucy

Hi Island Princess,

re: "One question tho - is there a bridge to the island, or do we have to take the ferry? "

You can drive around to Whidbey - You drive north from Seattle to Anacortes then head South over Deception Pass, an absolutely gorgeous place. From there, you will be on the far edge of Whidbey island, the opposite side from the Ferry. The drive is 2-3 hours one way from downtown depending on where the cabin is on Whidbey and traffic between Seattle and Marysville. If it was me, I would drive one way and take the ferry the other.

RE: Seattle

One other great place in Seattle is the waterfront. Lots of cool stores and we (even as residents) love going to Ivar's Fish Bar and eating outside. We love to feed french fries to the seagulls - they will take them right out of your hand.

We also like to go to Pike's Market and buy donuts made on the spot from a vendor to the left of the market pig! We don't actually spend that much time in Pioneer Square, kind of cool to drive/walk through, but that is about it for me. I agree about Uwajimaya in Chinatown - such a facinating store!

The Space Needle is something you have to do at least once and on a clear day it is amazing. There is also a revolving restaurant there.

Hope you have a great time here - I loved Seattle so much, I moved here....23 1/2 years ago!

Stephany

SeattleCruiseLover - I posted a question for you on West Coast Departures...or atleast I thought I did, but didn't see it come up. Anyway, I will ask it here. We are arriving in Seattle on May 30th for our Alaskan cruise on the Oosterdam on May 31st. Already have a hotel reserved for the night pre-cruise, but are now thinking out of the box, and looking at renting a cabin for that night on Whidbey Island. One question tho - is there a bridge to the island, or do we have to take the ferry? We're renting a car anyway, but would rather drive to the cabin on Whidbey than wait for a ferry, particularly for the trip to the cruise terminal the next day - we want to be up bright and early to get back over to Seattle, return the rental car, and get to the dock to board the "O" as soon as possible. Don't want to worry about going on the ferry the morning of the cruise. Would appreciate any insight you can give me on this! Thanx, Karen! You're a gem - all your advice and responses to questions have been right on the mark!

I answered your question over there. To summarize, it is a lot quicker to take the ferry than to drive around, especially with your limited amount of time. Gave you the link to the ferry system over there as well.

If anyone's considering the Seattle Aquarium as a place to visit I would reccomend it. I was there a couple weekends a go! They try to keep most of there exhibits centered around Pacific Northwest wildlife. There is a very cool underwater dome exhibit where you can watch divers feed the fish (every day around 1:00 I think). Also otters, sea lions, birds and a cool octopus! It took me and my hubby about 2.5 hrs to see the whole thing.

Any questions feel free to ask, I too live just outside of Seattle. Also they do have a website. www.seattleaquarium.org

:o LillyBelle

Archived