What to do on Denali free day

Doughball

Hey Cruisers,

In early June a few of us are going to be traveling with Princess Lines on their Cruisetour. Our schedule says that we have a free day in Denali. Is there a way to plan excursions, or what other things are there to do? Is there anything there, like a town? Any help is a good thing!

Thanks,

Doughball

Hi,

I haven't gone yet, but things I have in my file:

Take the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake

White Water Rafting on the Nenana

Sled Dog demonstrations

Ranger led hike around Horseshoe Lake

Hiking (lots of options for this - you can hike pretty much anywhere)

Karen (I'm planning to tent camp at Wonder Lake and hike around the park for 2 days...)

The Dog sled demo and Visitor Center are worth a look. But with a free day, you could also go into the Park again, via the shuttle buses (I actually would cancel the overpriced Tundra Wilderness tour, get a refund and go into the park for 2 days for less than the single TWT cost. :)

Park activities - http://www.nps.gov/dena

you can do three things with good planing. at night go across the street and up the hill for dinner. they will pick up and bring yuo back. the desk will book the ride for yuo there.

second you go to jeff kings's homestead at the 1230 pm tour on free day. then come back and eat and leave for your white water rafting trip that is around 6 pm.

alos when you come back all places still serve food.

plus-shopping at hotel is excellant. I shipped back cmas gifts and got stuff for me. I did all my cmas shopping between here and Fairbanks at the Riverboat shop.

also used hot tub at hotel. the water was HOT!!! great after rafting. I booked o nthe phone from home also.

I see on the sight they have a free shuttle into a portion of the park. I don't see times. I was thinking the afternoon before we do wonder lake we might do that?? or would we be better off just waiting if it is something you don't have to sign up for ahead of time we could base it on the weather.

I see on the sight they have a free shuttle into a portion of the park. I don't see times. I was thinking the afternoon before we do wonder lake we might do that?? or would we be better off just waiting if it is something you don't have to sign up for ahead of time we could base it on the weather.

Savage River shuttle bus. It's an excellent option, especially if you hook up with the ranger activities, if of interest.

The Dog sled demo and Visitor Center are worth a look. But with a free day, you could also go into the Park again, via the shuttle buses (I actually would cancel the overpriced Tundra Wilderness tour, get a refund and go into the park for 2 days for less than the single TWT cost. :)

Park activities - www.nps.gov/dena

I've been digging around the website (specifically the Dog Sled Demo Info) and I can't find specifics such as:

Where is it specifically? Is it at or near the Visitors Center?

Do you need reservations and if yes, where and how do you make them and how much does it cost?

What does the demo consist of?

Thanks,

I've been digging around the website (specifically the Dog Sled Demo Info) and I can't find specifics such as:

Where is it specifically? Is it at or near the Visitors Center?

Do you need reservations and if yes, where and how do you make them and how much does it cost?

Thanks,

I just found this info on the Denali Reservations website:

Sled Dog Demonstration Bus

Because of the extremely limited parking, this bus service provides all transportation to NPS Headquarters for the Sled Dog Demonstration. During the peak season, there are three programs daily: 10am, 2pm and 4pm. Buses depart from the Denali Visitor Center Campus bus stop no later than 40 minutes before the demonstration and will return you to the same location after the program. Many lodges provide courtesy buses to the Denali Visitor Center Campus in time for the connection to the demonstration. The 2pm program is the most popular and bus seats fill up fast, so if you are really keen to see this program, it is recommended that you try to attend the 10am or 4pm programs. Shoulder season programs vary – check back in May for summer schedules.

However, I guess my questions now are:

Do you need reservations or do you just show up at the appointed time at the Visitor's Center. If yes, where and how do you make them and how much does it cost? We would be interested in the !0 AM program.

How long is the entire program from the time the bus leaves the Visitor's Center until you return?

Is there parking at the Visitor's Center?

Once again, Thanks.

you can do three things with good planing. at night go across the street and up the hill for dinner. they will pick up and bring yuo back. the desk will book the ride for yuo there.

second you go to jeff kings's homestead at the 1230 pm tour on free day. then come back and eat and leave for your white water rafting trip that is around 6 pm.

alos when you come back all places still serve food.

plus-shopping at hotel is excellant. I shipped back cmas gifts and got stuff for me. I did all my cmas shopping between here and Fairbanks at the Riverboat shop.

also used hot tub at hotel. the water was HOT!!! great after rafting. I booked o nthe phone from home also.

This is a well thought idea. Thank you.

I just found this info on the Denali Reservations website:

However, I guess my questions now are:

Do you need reservations or do you just show up at the appointed time at the Visitor's Center. If yes, where and how do you make them and how much does it cost? We would be interested in the !0 AM program.

How long is the entire program from the time the bus leaves the Visitor's Center until you return?

Is there parking at the Visitor's Center?

Once again, Thanks.

It is free and they shuttle you from the visitor center. There is parking at the visitor center. You can see the dogs and they run a 5 minute dog sledding on gravel and give a brief talk. Overall, not more than an hour total.

My husband and I also found ourselves with a "free" day to explore the area prior to another excursion the following morning. We opted to do some white water rafting with an independent company located there in town and thoroughly enjoyed the experience through the canyon. There are some great rapids and areas like train wreck bend (but we always felt safe).

I suggest getting out and exploring the area as there really is so much to take in. We spent one whole day on bus to wonder lake and yet I felt like it wasn't enough - could have stayed in Denali for a week and enjoyed the serenity and scenery!

Have fun!

We also visited Jeff King's Iditarod ranch - great experience learning about the dogs, training, supplies and life during the race. This trip was arranged directly with Jeff's company (via website) and their transportation was very reliable. (2-3 hour excursion) both educational and fun!

Archived