Is it Lobster ?????

billfish

I continue to see many posts concerned with LOBSTER NIGHT or the lack thereof. I may be completely off base but being from New England I hardly consider Rock Lobster a special meal. Now if it were a Maine lobster that is a different story.

On our last cruise we skipped the Lobster Night and visited the Pinnicle for a more upscale meal. I may be out of line on this but would appreciate your thoughts.

I continue to see many posts concerned with LOBSTER NIGHT or the lack thereof. I may be completely off base but being from New England I hardly consider Rock Lobster a special meal. Now if it were a Maine lobster that is a different story.

On our last cruise we skipped the Lobster Night and visited the Pinnicle for a more upscale meal. I may be out of line on this but would appreciate your thoughts.

It's mostly what you are used to. The Longusta(spiny) when well cooked (grilled) is very tasty. Tried Homarus americanus(Maine lobster) once and declined anymore.Lost my taste only after eating 7 at one time (I had caught 59 one morning off Big Pine key) after that it lost it's appeal.

I'm with you! The only lobster in my world is cold water lobster!

I'm with you, billfish....... :D :D Those spiny, warm water lobsters just don't make the grade!

I dont care if its grilled shrimp or lobster or what, seafood is my favorite so this is my favorite meal. Not a chance Im skipping it.

While I won't NOT eat the lobster tail they serve, I do prefer a nice, big cold-water lobster tail! On our last cruise, they didn't even serve melted butter in individual cups for dipping--they dumped some on my plate!!!! Ick! It's just not the same!

We were on a ship last year that had crab legs instead of lobster! I like those but not lobster so that was OK with me. I understand sometimes they use lobsters from the Caribean which are smaller but I don't eat them so I don't care- give me prime rib instead!

Our friends were absolutely obessessed with Lobster night on the Grand Princess. They got tail after tail - it looks like New England, but I could be wrong. I'm from Vermont, after all - until they could hardly move. Me? I'm allergic to it, but everyone else at the table seemed to really enjoy it...

Charlie

The Lobster tail seved on cruise ships is Longusta ,warm water spiney lobster. While it very tasty it can't compare to the tender sweet Maine Lobster. Don't get me wrong I enjoy most all seafood especially while on a Cruise

We typically enjoy it but I will take crab over lobster. As to the quality of the lobster, most people that live inland, don't know the difference (me included, as it's pretty tough to catch lobster in CO). I enjoy it none the less.

Just back from a 2 weeker thru the Canal and we skipped lobster night both weeks for a better meal in the specialty resturants. Never missed the seabugs!

It is wonderful on a cruise- that we have great choices- I would choose Lobster- warm or cold water type - I don't know the difference- over frozen crab legs any day- If the legs have been frozen and not fresh from the ocean- don't want them. Crab can be frozen properly when taken out of the legs- but frozen in thier legs- gets very rubbery.

Getting close to Crab season- in Southeast Alaska- hope we can get some this year- last year- the closed the season in our area, after 5 days. Ruth

Ruth

I never realized the season was so short up there. Is that season on King Crab or all varieties?

We have a similar situation here on the Striped Bass. The quota is just over a million lbs and we csn only fis four days a week and the season lasts about 5 weeks

When we cruised last month we had Brazilian lobster per our head waiter. It didn't thrill me. Being from New England when I want lobster I want the whole darn thing on my plate complete with shell crackers, clarified butter and a bunch 'o napkins! That Brazilian thing was rubbery, pitifully small, and tasteless. Lobster should be firm but delicate with a definite difference in texture between the tail meat and claw meat, and it should all have a subtle sweetness.

Great, now I want some but I'm sure the fish market is mobbed :rolleyes:

I always have a difficult time when I see people at a "fancy" restaurant eating lobster .... Lobster is picnic food and best served with tons of paper towels sitting at a picnic table in the sun!!!! PS right now it very expensive here ... $10.49# ... terrible!! Usually on Mother's day the grocery stores will have specials where it will be less expensive.

PS Lobster will taste different depending upon the size, season, etc. I really enjoy the claw meat the best ... dh likes the tamaley (sp) ... I think it is totally gross ... to each their own I guess. Jan

RCCL serves New england lobster may come from Maine,NH. OR Mass.I got off the Explorer last Saturday and they still serve it. I live 30 minutes from the coast in NH and I do know the difference. They don't put REAL melted Butter how

ever. They don't serve king crab . You have to go on Princess for that. They always serve prime rib on lobster night if you can't decide order both. They keep bringing tails until you tell them to stop. I'm happy with 2. I must disagree with a previos poster The tail is the sweetest and most tender part. If you go into a fish market you will pay alot more for tail meat than claws. Tomorrow is easter so they have raised the price.Tail icon7.gifmeat about $34 a pound claw meat around $24 a pound. That is in NH.

We were on a ship last year that had crab legs instead of lobster! I like those but not lobster so that was OK with me. I understand sometimes they use lobsters from the Caribean which are smaller but I don't eat them so I don't care- give me prime rib instead!

I'd much rather have crab legs too and I so wish they would offer them on cruises . . . . :(

.... Lobster is picnic food and best served with tons of paper towels sitting at a picnic table in the sun!!!! PS right now it very expensive here ... $10.49# ... terrible!! ...

Jan_In_Maine,

If they are that pricey in Bangor, what chance do we have here in the Mid-Atlantic?

I love lobster, and will get Maine when I can, but langouste are certainly better than no lobster at all! But, I understand that they are probably better close to home. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest, and I know that fresh, never frozen Dungeness crab is heavenly (especially when flakes are on your cheek and butter is dripping off your chin at a picnic table at a state park overlooking the water). That is much better than the crab legs they serve on cruise. But, do you think I pass on the crab legs on cruise -- of course not! By the same token, you bet I'll take the langouste, and two if you got 'em waiter, even if they aren't from Maine.

This thread has got me thinking seafood. Looks like I'll have to try to scour up some Chesapeake Bay blues or a true Maryland crab cake as soon as I can!

Dave

Dave - Truth be told, I would much rather have crab any day over lobster!!! DD lived in Alaska for about a year and I was so disappointed that she did not bring any crab legs home. Have you ever had crabs from Maine? They are very small, but the meat is very good....its a pain in the neck to get the meat out of the legs.

When we were at the Outer Banks (my parents retired to that area) ... I had soft shelled crab for the first time ... breaded .... they looked like very large breaded spiders!!!.... and they were wonderful!

I really love scallops (DH loves sea scallops, but doesn't care much for bay) ... unfortunately I am really allergic to them.

PS ... On board ship I too will order the lobster ... its so much better than not having any at all.

Have a wonderful evening all ... Jan

I always have a difficult time when I see people at a "fancy" restaurant eating lobster .... Lobster is picnic food and best served with tons of paper towels sitting at a picnic table in the sun!!!! PS right now it very expensive here ... $10.49# ... terrible!! Usually on Mother's day the grocery stores will have specials where it will be less expensive.

PS Lobster will taste different depending upon the size, season, etc. I really enjoy the claw meat the best ... dh likes the tamaley (sp) ... I think it is totally gross ... to each their own I guess. Jan

Jan, I am so totally with you on this one! Bring on the wet naps!

Tamalley :eek: YUCKO! No thanks, looks like baby poop! LOL!

Claw, tail, hell I'll even suck the meat out of those little legs!

<<DROOL!>>

Do you ever head down to York? That is where I spent my summers growing up. Good times! But it's changed a lot since then....

RCCL serves New england lobster may come from Maine,NH. OR Mass. Not exclusively. I was told by our head waiter that sometimes they have North Atlantic lobster and sometimes they have Caribbean lobster. What I was served was most definitely not NAL.

I got off the Explorer last Saturday and they still serve it. I live 30 minutes from the coast in NH Me too! Hey neighbor!! and I do know the difference. Then if you could have seen the brown skinny thing with the weird looking tail on my plate you would have known it was NOT NAL!

They don't put REAL melted Butter how ever. We got no butter at all, melted or otherwise :(

They don't serve king crab . You have to go on Princess for that. They always serve prime rib on lobster night if you can't decide order both. They keep bringing tails until you tell them to stop. I'm happy with 2. I must disagree with a previos poster The tail is the sweetest and most tender part. Just like any animal, it varies lobster to lobster and depends on the eater's perception. I've had some claws that were way sweeter than the tail and vice versa.

If you go into a fish market you will pay a lot more for tail meat than claws. I think that is b'c the whole tail intact is much "prettier" and more marketable and appealing to the eyes than the claws which tend to get a bit torn upon disassembly, and can also sometimes be disappointingly small compared to the outer claw that it came out of.

Tomorrow is easter so they have raised the price.Tail meat about $34 a pound claw meat around $24 a pound. That is in NH. I KNOW :eek: isn't it crazy!!!!!quote]

Nice to meet you, neighbor! :)

You are correct Maine lobster is best as part of a BAKE complete with Steamed Clams. Corn on the Cob. Certainly not the best meal for Formal night

Steamed clams...MMMM!!! :D My favorite and pretty hard to find in IL!

Was on the short Enchantment cruise last week...no lobster. Didn't miss it.

Archived