SKYBUS is ticking me off!!!!

musicgirl63

First let me say that I got a great deal. We snagged $10 tickets for the 3 of us from Columbus to NY (well Stewart Airport) for a total of $109 with all the taxes etc. So I can't even begin to touch the price with another airline no matter what you include or don't include....

The plans...

Skybus $109

luggage $60 both ways

round trip metro north train tickets into Grand Central Station I believe are $24 each for a total of $75

shuttle to train both ways for 3 is $6

taxi from GCS to hotel $6 plus tip

taxi from port to GCS $8 plus tip

Approximately $240 total for all travel before and after cruise.

Great considering It is more than $240 round trip airfare for 1 person and nothing else.

I knew about the time from Stewart to NYC. We've always wanted to "travel" by train. It was fine we would be at Stewart around or so and to the hotel around 1:30. Perfect just in time for check-in.

Just after I booked the fee for luggage went up to $10 per piece per way so instead of $60 total it would be $120. Yikes...time to get pack less!!!

I can deal with this.

The other day I get a notice that the flight is canceled and we are on the 3:40 flight getting into Stewart at 5:10pm. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! This now gets us into NYC after 8pm. NOOOOOO!!! They had 2 flights a day...why in the world would they cancel the early one. People are taking this flight to go to NYC, who wants to waste an entire day.

We are actually flying in 2 days prior to the cruise, but we had plans. We could have done so much had we gotten into NYC by 1:30pm.

I am so disappointed. No flames please since this is not the end of the world, I know you get what you pay for etc. I just needed to vent and warn others.

The biggest warning is that Skybus has NO and I mean NO customer service. There is no phone number (that is so they can have lower fares). Yes, you can email them....can you say the largest circular email trash can in the world. They won't email you, they even warn you before you send the email.

So, I sent in a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Obviously Skybus didn't break any rules when it came to the reservation. However, the BBB is also a way for consumers to report poor customer service or policies. I'm pretty sure that having NO customer service falls into that category. The only way to get companies to change policies is to make a stink about it. I've used the BBB before and have had good luck...and won when the company would do nothing.

Thanks for the vent and others be forewarned!

First let me say that I got a great deal. We snagged $10 tickets for the 3 of us from Columbus to NY (well Stewart Airport) for a total of $109 with all the taxes etc. So I can't even begin to touch the price with another airline no matter what you include or don't include....

The plans...

Skybus $109

luggage $60 both ways

round trip metro north train tickets into Grand Central Station I believe are $24 each for a total of $75

shuttle to train both ways for 3 is $6

taxi from GCS to hotel $6 plus tip

taxi from port to GCS $8 plus tip

Approximately $240 total for all travel before and after cruise.

Great considering It is more than $240 round trip airfare for 1 person and nothing else.

I knew about the time from Stewart to NYC. We've always wanted to "travel" by train. It was fine we would be at Stewart around or so and to the hotel around 1:30. Perfect just in time for check-in.

Just after I booked the fee for luggage went up to $10 per piece per way so instead of $60 total it would be $120. Yikes...time to get pack less!!!

I can deal with this.

The other day I get a notice that the flight is canceled and we are on the 3:40 flight getting into Stewart at 5:10pm. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! This now gets us into NYC after 8pm. NOOOOOO!!! They had 2 flights a day...why in the world would they cancel the early one. People are taking this flight to go to NYC, who wants to waste an entire day.

We are actually flying in 2 days prior to the cruise, but we had plans. We could have done so much had we gotten into NYC by 1:30pm.

I am so disappointed. No flames please since this is not the end of the world, I know you get what you pay for etc. I just needed to vent and warn others.

The biggest warning is that Skybus has NO and I mean NO customer service. There is no phone number (that is so they can have lower fares). Yes, you can email them....can you say the largest circular email trash can in the world. They won't email you, they even warn you before you send the email.

So, I sent in a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Obviously Skybus didn't break any rules when it came to the reservation. However, the BBB is also a way for consumers to report poor customer service or policies. I'm pretty sure that having NO customer service falls into that category. The only way to get companies to change policies is to make a stink about it. I've used the BBB before and have had good luck...and won when the company would do nothing.

Thanks for the vent and others be forewarned!

Why would you send a complaint to the BBB??? ALL airlines cut/cancel/change flights. Perfectly within their legal rights and Contract of Carriage. I am astounded at your post. What did you expect for $10.00???? And did you not read the fine print about NO customer service BEFORE you booked your flights? You would have KNOWN that there was no help available.

And I would be surprised if Skybus is around in a year. They have been cutting flights left and right. Usually one of the first signs of demise.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2008/03/17/daily18.html?q=skybus

You didn't read my statement about the BBB correctly.

I didn't say that I sent in a complaint because of the canceled flight. I even stated...Obviously Skybus didn't break any rules when it came to the reservation.

I sent in the complaint because of poor business policies. The poor business policy is that there is no way to contact the company via customer service.

You also didn't read very carefully when I asked for "no flames" that means don't yell at me.... I said I know what I paid for...I just want to vent and warn others.

So before you go off on me....please read a little more carefully.

Oh and greatam, just to let you know, there is nothing in fine print that states that there is no customer service. Only that...and this is directly from my printout..

"To keep your fares low, we don't operate a call center or have an 800 number. If you have questions later, or need to change your flight, everything you need is available at http://www.skybus.com, 24 hours a day."

I have questions that http://www.skybus.com is unable to answer. I wanted to know how long I had to make my decision about the changed itinerary. The answer is no where to be found on their 24 hour a day http://www.skybus.com. So I guess their statement is not true.

Usually when I see that there is an email address to contact them, I usually expect that this means that if you ask a question through an email that it will be answered.

Skybus doesn't say anywhere that there is absolutely no way to correspond with them. While they are clear about the phone number, they are very deceiving about the email. Unless you actually email them, you won't know until you do so. Who would think to try out the email system before a question arises?

I sent in the complaint because of poor business policies. The poor business policy is that there is no way to contact the company via customer service.

You also didn't read very carefully when I asked for "no flames" that means don't yell at me.... I said I know what I paid for...I just want to vent and warn others.

So before you go off on me....please read a little more carefully.

I read your post VERY thoroughly. And I see NO reason for the BBB complaint. Right in the SkyBus website-NO PHONE and maybe no email response:

"Contact Skybus" is for customers who have questions that can't be answered by our Help Center. If you ask a question that's already addressed in the Help Center, you may not receive a response."

The information you needed was in the "help center" under "delays and cancellations". You could change the flight online yourself, if you chose to not take their designated flight. So no interface with anyone from SkyBus was needed. Thus, per the rules, your email DID NOT have to be answered.

Over and over, all through the SkyBus website, notations to use the "help center" and "we may not answer your question". Seems simple enough to me.

I certainly wasn't flaming you. I was merely pointing out that $10.00 airfares DO NOT get the same type of service as $300.00 airfares. I am still trying to figure out the BBB complaint.

The question I needed answered was.

How long do I have to make the decision about the change in itinerary" Not how. I know how..

So can you tell me how long I have to make my decision of 1) keeping changed reservation 2) changing it 5 days of the original flight date 3) cancel for a refund?

I wanted to find a reasonable hotel for an extra night since the hotel I am staying at is booked the previous night before my stay. Do I have 1 day to decide, do I have 10 days? So please tell me where to find this.

"Maybe no response to emails" does not mean that there will be no response. I've emailed them a few times with questions that aren't answered on their site. I have had ZERO responses.

Also, not everyone gets the $10 tickets. Only 10 seats each flight. One can easily spend over $300 on a trip to NY on Skybus. Do they get better service if they spend $300 on their ticket??

Whether your words were meant to be flames or not, the tone of your reply was clear.

The Better Business Bureau is a way for consumers to report companies whose policies or services are unacceptable. To me, not answering emails when the information is not available as stated is not acceptable.

As I stated in the previous post, I had some other questions that were not answered that also were not available on their site. It is quite apparent that Skybus provides the ability to email them is their answer to customer service. It's not customer service when the answer is not provided from their website or in an email response from the company.

Whether you agree with why I made a complaint with the BBB or not is not the point. The Better Business Bureau will decide if it is a legitimate complaint. That is why I sent it to them. At the very least, I know they will at least address the issue and respond back to me.

How long do I have to make the decision about the change in itinerary" Not how. I know how..

So can you tell me how long I have to make my decision of 1) keeping changed reservation 2) changing it 5 days of the original flight date 3) cancel for a refund?

I wanted to find a reasonable hotel for an extra night since the hotel I am staying at is booked the previous night before my stay. Do I have 1 day to decide, do I have 10 days? So please tell me where to find this.

"Maybe no response to emails"..... does not mean that there will be no response. To me this means, if the answer to your questions is available on the site, we will not reply. I'm fine with that answer. It doesn't mean that " there is no chance ever that we will respond to your email". I've emailed them a few times with questions that aren't answered on their site. I have had ZERO responses.

They had their chance.

To the OP ... since you seem unable to find your answer to "how long do I have" on the website, you might consider paying a visit to Skybus at the Columbus airport to square this away. That's what I would do in the absence of any other means to deal with a real person. I'm assuming they do staff a counter there ... but I don't really know.

The biggest warning is that Skybus has NO and I mean NO customer service. There is no phone number (that is so they can have lower fares). !

What did you expect for $10.00pp? Btw, it sounds like they make (some) )money on checked luggage.

I would be canceling for a refund and paying for a flight that gets me into New York to enjoy my vacation w/out buses. A cab from LaGuardia into Midtown may be $30.00 max with a good tip and tolls for all of you.

I have never even heard of SkyBus. $10.00 per ticket? Is that each way? What about taxes etc?

"Maybe no response to emails" does not mean that there will be no response. I've emailed them a few times with questions that aren't answered on their site. I have had ZERO responses.

I assume you paid by credit card? Even the credit card company would put in a request for a charge back based on your flights being canceled. You could let the credit card company go after the refund if you can't get in touch with this company.

OP, I know exactly what you mean about no response to email. My husband has a RT ticket to Greensboro. Skybus canceled the return flight and emailed him with alternative return flights. Only problem is....the flights they suggest are BEFORE he even arrives in Greensboro!! He has emailed Skybus twice, trying to explain the problem. But no response from them yet.:confused: :confused:

Yep, he's got the $10 fares too.

The Skybus Rules of Flying

(A.K.A. How we keep our tickets so darn cheap.)

1. Don’t pay for everyone else’s baggage.

On Skybus, you pay only for what you check. To learn more about our baggage policy click here

2. Hungry? Thirsty? Bring cash.

Most people love our full cocktail bar and food menu, but if you’re not into that, it won’t cost you a penny. Why should your ticket cost include your neighbor’s dinner? That also goes for blankets and pillows–which, by the way, you get to keep if you buy. Oh, and don’t sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the whole plane.

3. Bring a book.

We’re not big fans of fancy in-flight entertainment systems. So grab that best seller at the airport, or buy a Sudoku puzzle onboard if you’re feeling brainy. You’ll touch down before you know it.

4. Don’t call us.

We don’t have a phone number. Seriously. We’d love to chat, but those phone banks are expensive. And a good website like http://www.skybus.com is even more convenient.

5. Don't be late. We won't wait.

Please arrive no later than 30 minutes before takeoff, or we’ll leave without you. Really. By that time, there won’t even be anyone to check your bag. It’s nothing against you–we just have to keep our flights on time, or things get expensive in a hurry.

6. Don’t expect an army of gate agents.

You probably won’t see any agents at the gate until boarding time. Remain calm! Just print your boarding pass at http://www.skybus.com and relish in the savings.

7. Yeah, we’ve got preferred seats. Sort of.

There are no fancy reclining beds onboard, but you can pay $12.50 extra to board our brand-new A319 airplanes before anyone else.

8. Tickets are nonrefundable.

Refunding a ticket costs everyone, so we don’t allow it. Of course, our tickets are so cheap it wouldn’t have been much of a refund anyway. If you need to change a ticket, your punishment for breaking a date with us is $40.

9. Bigger is not better.

Big airports can be a big pain. We choose less crowded and more convenient secondary airports for better punctuality and, of course, lower prices.

10. No spontaneous dancing in the aisle.

We realize you might be excited about paying a ridiculously low fare, but please refrain from any unbridled dancing onboard. This includes jumping for joy, disruptive cheering, and celebratory break dancing.

Baggage info:

Baggage Rules & Info: What You Most Need to Know

Here’s an overview of Skybus’ most important baggage rules and policies. For complete details, visit the Baggage section of our Help Center.

CARRY ON BAGGAGE:

• You can bring one carry-on bag and one personal item such as a laptop bag, handbag, or small backpack into the airplane’s cabin at no additional cost. Carry-on bags must be no larger than 9 inches by 16 inches by 19 inches, and must weigh no more than 22 pounds each.

How do I check bags? Where and when can I check my bags?

To save time at the airport, you can pay for checked bags online while you print your Boarding Pass, beginning 24 hours from your scheduled departure and up to 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure. Or you can check bags directly at a Skybus airport kiosk, beginning 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure, and up to 30 minutes prior. Remember, it saves time to pay for checked bags online, but when you arrive at the airport you'll still need to bring them to a Skybus agent located at the ticket counter.

Please be sure to arrive at the airport with plenty of time to check your bags. If you arrive at the counter for check in and/or baggage drop-off less than 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure, we will not be able to accept your checked bags, and you could miss your flight.

CHECKED BAGGAGE 50 POUNDS OR LESS – FOR THE FIRST TWO BAGS

• If you check in online at Skybus.com the cost is US $10 each bag, per passenger for each segment of your trip.
  • If you check in at the Skybus airport Kiosk, the cost is US $12 each bag, per passenger for each segment of your trip.

FOR EACH ADDITIONAL BAG 50 POUNDS OR LESS

• The cost is US $50 each bag, per passenger for each segment of your trip.

FOR EACH ADDITIONAL BAG BETWEEN 50 AND 75 POUNDS

• For bags weighing between 50 and 75 pounds, Skybus will charge an additional US $25 excess weight fee each bag, per passenger for each segment of your trip.
  • For each oversized item (larger than 32 inches by 47 inches by 47 inches) Skybus will charge an additional US $25 each bag, per passenger for each segment of the trip.
  • We don’t accept bags that weigh more than 75 pounds.

OVERSIZED SPORTS EQUIPMENT (fishing rods, bicycles, scooters, surfboards, body boards, snowboards and skis)

• Oversized sports equipment can be checked, but at your own risk. Skybus will charge US $25 for each item, per passenger for each segment of the trip. We recommend you obtain suitable insurance coverage.

GOLF CLUBS

• Golf clubs are not considered oversized baggage, and counts as one checked bag.

CHILD CAR SEATS AND STROLLERS

• Child car seats and strollers may be checked for free at the ticket counter, and do not count towards your baggage allowance. We recommend that you package your child car seat prior to arrival at the airport, as Skybus does not provide protective covering. If you plan to check a car seat, we recommend that you obtain suitable insurance coverage for it, as Skybus is not liable for any damage or loss that may occur. You may bring your child car seat or stroller directly to your departure gate, and we’ll take care of stowing it and returning it to you at the conclusion of the flight. There is no charge for this service.

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

• Large musical instruments such as harps or double bass must be checked. We will carry large musical instruments entirely 'at your own risk' for damage or delay. We recommend that you obtain insurance coverage for such items. Note that there is an additional fee of US $25 per item, per flight segment for oversized items.
  • Buying an extra seat. Other musical items such as a guitar or cello, which exceed our carry-on baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin only if a seat has been reserved for it and the appropriate fare paid. If you want an extra seat, book your reservation using the same exact name twice. You may receive a warning, “you’re booking with the same name; do you want to continue?” Just indicate "yes".
    • When you check in, make sure you print out a Boarding Pass for both seats

Delayed, Lost, or Damaged Checked Baggage

Immediately report delayed or lost or damaged checked baggage before you leave the airport. We don’t have a telephone number for lost bags, so it’s very important that you file a report before you leave the airport if there’s a problem.

For more information, please see Common Questions about Lost Baggage.

Important Lost Baggage links:

Track the status of your lost or delayed baggage with quicktrace.

Download a Claim Form.

Pets and other animals

We love pets, but we’re unable to take them. Skybus doesn’t carry live animals. The only exception is service animals (such as Seeing Eye dogs), and they fly in the cabin. There is no charge to fly a service animal, but you’ll need proof that Rover is a working dog.

Cargo

Our cargo partner is Mercury Air Cargo. If you’d like to send cargo on Skybus, please contact Mercury Air Cargo at: http://www.mercuryaircargo.com.

OP, I know exactly what you mean about no response to email. My husband has a RT ticket to Greensboro. Skybus canceled the return flight and emailed him with alternative return flights. Only problem is....the flights they suggest are BEFORE he even arrives in Greensboro!! He has emailed Skybus twice, trying to explain the problem. But no response from them yet.:confused: :confused:

Yep, he's got the $10 fares too.

You go online and REBOOK your flight under the section that reads VIEW/CHANGE reservation (lower left hand corner). The Skybus computer has already picked new flights for you. If you don't like them (yours obviously won't work), then you go online and change them yourself.

Here are the RULES:

What happens if my flight is cancelled?

If we cancel a flight, we‘ll try to get you on a new flight (in most cases, this will be the next available Skybus flight to the same destination).

You’ll have three options:

* If you wish to take the new Skybus flight we’ve booked for you, you don’t need to do anything. Just be sure to be at the airport on time for your new flight.

* You may select a different Skybus flight from the one we’ve chosen for you. As long as the new flight you choose departs within 5 days of your originally scheduled flight, there are no additional fees to make this change.

* You may request a refund for the unused portions of your Skybus reservation.

We always recommend that you check the status of your flight at http://www.skybus.com before you leave for the airport, in case there have been any delays or cancellations.

Until you can't change it online is the answer. With only one/two flights per day, when the seats are gone, they are gone for a different flight.

Skybus has already changed your flight. If you don't like it, you already know you can change it online. Skybus is NOT holding seats on an ALTERNATIVE flight. They are holding seats on the flight they assigned. IF you wait too long to change it, there may be NO seats available on an alternative flight. So Skybus REALLY left it up to you.

To the OP ... since you seem unable to find your answer to "how long do I have" on the website, you might consider paying a visit to Skybus at the Columbus airport to square this away. That's what I would do in the absence of any other means to deal with a real person. I'm assuming they do staff a counter there ... but I don't really know.

I have actually thought about dropping by their office in town rather than the airport. You are right, who's to say any one is there either. Unfortunately I am down with bronchitis and every time I talk, I cough up a lung..... so until I'm healthy, email is my communication.

What did you expect for $10.00pp? Btw, it sounds like they make (some) )money on checked luggage.

I would be canceling for a refund and paying for a flight that gets me into New York to enjoy my vacation w/out buses. A cab from LaGuardia into Midtown may be $30.00 max with a good tip and tolls for all of you.

I have never even heard of SkyBus. $10.00 per ticket? Is that each way? What about taxes etc?

Check out my original post...It details all my possible charges including airfare. so to cancel and book another flight with someone else is crazy. Our TOTAL airfare was $109 for 3 people (taxes, etc)

Skybus has it's major hub out of Columbus. When they release the flight info, the 1st ten seats on EVERY flight is $10 one way even to their flight out to CA. Once the 10 seats are gone, the prices go up.

Until you can't change it online is the answer. With only one/two flights per day, when the seats are gone, they are gone for a different flight.

Skybus has already changed your flight. If you don't like it, you already know you can change it online. Skybus is NOT holding seats on an ALTERNATIVE flight. They are holding seats on the flight they assigned. IF you wait too long to change it, there may be NO seats available on an alternative flight. So Skybus REALLY left it up to you.

Come on...Until you can't change it online is the answer........That is not an answer.

I understand the policy in how to change the flight and that I am assigned to a new one....

Let's say that I don't want to keep the new assigned flight because it doesn't work for me. Let's pretend that I want to try to reschedule within the five days around my original flight, but it might take me some time. Maybe I want to try to find a hotel that is available for the entire stay, or maybe keep the same hotel and find one for the new number of nights that I need in addition to my current reservation, I will also need to make other arrangements at home. There are all kinds of details.

I know that if I wait too long to change, there may not be 3 available seats on the day I choose and then I would have to start over again. I could potentially not have a choice.

So, it would be much more helpful to have a rep at least email me back.

Jade13,

I'm glad you were able to locate the site and post the info. I'm not sure for who, but as for me, this has all been printed out for quite a while at my house. Hopefully someone will find it useful so thanks for the thought.

Come on...Until you can't change it online is the answer........That is not an answer.

I know that if I wait too long to change, there may not be 3 available seats on the day I choose and then I would have to start over again. I could potentially not have a choice.

So, it would be much more helpful to have a rep at least email me back.

That IS the answer-you can change until the seats are gone. And it would be the same answer on any airline. SkyBus allows you to rebook yourself. When the seats are gone, the seats are gone. Would be no different if it was Delta, AA, United, etc. You should rebook the air if needed, THEN look for a hotel for an additional night or two. With limited flights, it becomes even more imperative to grab seats as soon as possible.

Sure, it would be helpful if a rep would email you. But spending time emailing for something you can take care of yourself is NOT the SkyBus business model. It is what it is.

Not sure how Skybus will fare in the near-or long-term ... they started service March 13 out of Chicago Gary airport with two roundtrips daily to Greensboro. Now, a mere 10 days later, they are down to only one roundtrip between Chicago and Greensboro.

It seems to me that the OP is not complaining about the policy, but rather the lack of communication to/from Skybus. Their "we only communicate via website" approach is fine IF it works. To the OP, and to me, their communication does not work, because it does not exist.

Greatam, I tried your approach on the website. The ONLY 5 options Skybus provides are the 5 days PRIOR to my husband's arrival in GSO. So how could he possibly fly GSO-Wilmington before he even gets to GSO? That's the kind of frustration that results from lack of communication. We're on our third email to Skybus, asking for help/resolution. So far, no response at all.

Archived