Inside cabin compared to a window or balcony cabin.

We did the Jewel in Feb and stayed in a 9052 with a balcony.We want to do RCCL again but maybe this time a inside cabin as we really were not on the balcony that much.What are some of the opinions of insiders on this site.I don't really think we can afford to cruise with the higher rates now if we don't get an inside as coming from Canada is almost 1000 bucks each for airfare now alone with all the taxes and fees and fuel surcharges.. Just not sure what to do so if any insiders have any advice much appreciated.Thanks

My parents will NOT pay for a balcony--an inside is ok with them!* It really depends on you and your tolerance for tight spaces!* Personally, when I'm in the room, I want to be comfortable!* I would NEVER book an inside!* But, if you don't mind it, it's an affordable way to cruise!

It really varys from person to person. We have no problem with the insides. It helps us budget for 4 cruises a year.

If you are claustophobic it might be a problem. Other than that it's like any other room with the drapes shut.

Charlie

We migrate from insides to oceanviews to balconies. Depends on the itinerary. Most of our cruises end up being insides. Our feeling is that we are rarely in our room and when we are in our room we sleep. We are both active and have no problems in getting around. If we want to lounge or watch the waves, all we have to do is walk a short distance and be outside and be there. What we save on being inside, we can take another cruise a year. You get the same service, same food, same entertainment that the people in the best suites get(minus the butlers). We are usually so tired from doing so much that we spend minimal time in our room.

I have had an oceanview and an inside. I don't mind the insides at all. Very good sleeping conditions and we don't spend much time in the room anyway. I don't see the point paying extra for ocean view. At night you cant see anything out the window anyway! I would love to try a balcony sometime, but I just cant afford that right now! It is very very dark in an inside room so you could bring a nightlight if you need some light, or you could get a promenade room and see the lights from there!

Probably half of our cruises have been in inside cabins. We get the same great service there as we have in outsides or balconies. Sure they are slightly smaller, but not THAT huge of a difference. The big difference in space is when you go up to a JS or above. Most of the time when we get an OV or balcony it's because our C&A discount or a coupon (or both) make the price comparable to an inside. I know some people just MUST HAVE a balcony, it's their personal preference. We just like to cruise more often and that's our personal preference. Since you said you didn't use the balcony that much on your last cruise, why not try an inside once to see how you like it, it's really the only way you will know for sure what YOUR preference is.

We looooooove our balconies:) . I can sit out and have a drink and enjoy the view while DH gets ready for dinner and visa versa.....Sitting out a bit right before bed in our PJ's.....LOVE IT!

Thats why I wanna try a balcony - sitting in my PJ's

We are fine with the inside. Allows us to cruise twice a year. We have the beds separated. This allows more room in the middle of the room. We are only in our room to sleep and shower. There are so many nice places on the ships to sit and view the scenery. I also don't like being isolated. One of my favorite things about cruising is meeting so many great people.

Jan

Depending on the ship some of the insides are not that small compared to OV or regular balcony cabins. The Radiance class insides are well laid out and a good size at 165 sq.ft. compared to OV at 170 and regular balconies at 179. This is one of the many reasons we like this class so much although we do have an E1 for our Radiance Hawaii cruise in May. The price was not too much more combined with our platinum balcony discount and TA's OBC. We've had OVs and I wouldn't pay too much more for a window cabin.

We have cruised twice, both times with two kids and both times in inside cabins. We didn't have any problems. We have never spent enough time in the cabin to care.

We just booked the Panama Canal (10 nights) next March and decided to splurge on a balcony, because it IS the Panamal Canal, and it IS 10 days. They say once you have a balcony, you would never go back to an inside, but I'm not so sure. When you can save $1000 (or usually more) I think I could 'survive' an inside agaiin.

On our first few cruises we had balconies and I swore I would never cruise without one. Then we had an opportunity to sail NCL Dawn but since this was an "extra" vacation that year, it was either take an inside cabin or stay home. I chose the inside and it was fine. And I am claustrophobic normally but this didn't bother me at all. Since then I have decided that a balcony isn't worth the extra $$ since we didn't use it very much anyway. The only way I would spend the extra $$ for a balcony now is if we were doing Alaska, Hawaii or Europe...but for a caribbean or bahamas cruise, an inside works for us. We're booked on AOS this August and we have a promenade cabin which is only $40/pp more than the inside so we're looking forward to trying that! I say go for the inside and enjoy :D

We did the Jewel in Feb and stayed in a 9052 with a balcony.We want to do RCCL again but maybe this time a inside cabin as we really were not on the balcony that much.What are some of the opinions of insiders on this site.I don't really think we can afford to cruise with the higher rates now if we don't get an inside as coming from Canada is almost 1000 bucks each for airfare now alone with all the taxes and fees and fuel surcharges.. Just not sure what to do so if any insiders have any advice much appreciated.Thanks

I certainly agree with you regarding our ridiculous air prices from Canada.

However I would probably never book an inside as I am seriously claustrophobic plus with 3 in a cabin you DO spend time in cabin

I got hooked on balconies cause I love sea air and leave the door open at all times

I had breakfast on the balcony read on the balcony and star gazed .

At night if I cannot sleep I check out the waves

It all depends on you .Yes it is more expensive but to me the benefits make it wothwhile

Sometimes I even get obstructed balcony and its OK too

We are fortunate being 40 mins. to Toronto airport and 60 mins. to Buffalo airport. We usually fly out of Buffalo and get way better prices. For our April cruise best price from Toronto to Orlando for 3 was $1500, flying out of Buffalo for $720 return, no comparison! We have had insides, balconies and oceanviews. The only room I don't think I'd pay extra for again is an ov, being as you have to walk over to the window and look out, not like a balcony where you see the water from anywhere in the room. If money were no object I would choose a balcony everytime, however, I have no problem with and have never been too cramped in an inside (out April cruise is in an inside)! No matter what room you choose you'll still be on a cruise and there's nothing better than that! :)

I haven't tried an inside, simply b/c I'm scared of what it will be like vs. an oceanview.

I'd definitely say if you're on a longer cruise or have sea days, a balcony is worth it. Otherwise, it's not worth it unless you plan on not going a-shore

I really like the OV, that's just me. I have had all, but the OV is for me. I'm short and I can't see over the railing when I sit on the balcony. I can see out the window sitting on the bed. Inside is great, but we tend to sleep the cruise away. When we were working this was a great way to relax and rest up. Now we are retired and can do that at home. Don't know if I will ever spend the extra for a balcony again. Hawaii the balcony was great to stand on, but again sitting I could not see anything but the dirty frosted glass and the sky.

Archived