HELP - Diabetic sailing on Inspiration - question about Insulin.

Hi all - I am taking my mom on her 1st cruise this fall on the Inspiration (she doesn't even know it yet)! She is an insulin dependent diabetic and she needs to keep her insulin cold. I know the Inspiration doesn't have fridges in the OV cabins (we booked 2 adjoining cabins for our family). Will Carnival provide her cabin with a small fridge upon request due to the medical neccessity - or do we have to rely on the ice bucket?

Any thoughts, input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barbara

While you should be able to request one when you get on board, you might be better off requesting on in advance. While the extras are supposed to be for those with med requirements, they are given out on a first come first serve basis.

You should be all set - just call now and double check as soon as you board your ship.

Hi all - I am taking my mom on her 1st cruise this fall on the Inspiration (she doesn't even know it yet)! She is an insulin dependent diabetic and she needs to keep her insulin cold. I know the Inspiration doesn't have fridges in the OV cabins (we booked 2 adjoining cabins for our family). Will Carnival provide her cabin with a small fridge upon request due to the medical neccessity - or do we have to rely on the ice bucket?

Thanks,

Barbara

You should find several good answers here. There are several on here that are diabetics that travel. My daughter is Type 1, but we do not have to keep her insulin cold after it's been opened. Most insulin is good for 30 days after opening, whether it's refrigerated or not.

I do believe you can keep it at the purser's desk. You can also use "frio packs"....http://www.frious.com/buy/). These keep cold for insulin storage by just using regular water.

Thanks,

Barbara

Your TA or your PVP should make carnival aware of your medical needs and they will have a fridge and a sharps container in your room.

Hi...what a lucky Mom you have. I am also a Type 1 diabetic, and once I open a vial I don't keep it cold. You should check with your Mom's doctor to make sure it doesn't need to be kept cold ( some do need to be refrigerated ). Have a great trip.

Thanks,

Barbara

Call Carnival Special Needs Department. They will make sure you have what you need at your disposal. There was a Shaprs container in my cabin when we boarded the Liberty in October. But my Carnival Account has a medical alert on it already.

You need to advise the cruise line of any medical or accessibility requirements BEFORE you leave. Call the cruise line and explain the situation, and ask them to advise you. You can probably pack a small cooler with ice.

You should find several good answers here. There are several on here that are diabetics that travel. My daughter is Type 1, but we do not have to keep her insulin cold after it's been opened. Most insulin is good for 30 days after opening, whether it's refrigerated or not.

I do believe you can keep it at the purser's desk. You can also use "frio packs"....http://www.frious.com/buy/). These keep cold for insulin storage by just using regular water.

I am new to using insulin and was wondering about keeping it cold when we go on the Splendour this summer. Thank you for introducing me to this " frio". It sounds like it is ideal for travelling and compact too! Do you know if it is available in Canada?

THank you aagain for sharing this information!

Thank you everyone for all your input. My mom's insulin is the type that needs to be refrigerated, and I didn't even think about the sharps container. I will be in touch with my TA in the morning so she can request that both the fridge and container be available. I will get a note from her doctor if need be.

This board is so great - I'm addicted!!!!

Actually you need to contact

Specialrequirements@carnival.com

let them know what is going on. They will send you a form via email to fill out, and either fax or email back to them.

i would not wait till i got there to find out. If there is a reason why they can not do a fridg, you could always go get a small cooler, or insulated mug, and put it on ice.

My GM puts hers in a glass jar wrapped in papertowel, inside the cooler. that way the insulin is not touching the ice, and yet it keeps cold.

Thanks,

Barbara

I just booked a cruise on the Legend. When my TA found out I was diabetic, she asked if i needed a fridge (I don't-not insulin dependent). I'd suggest if you booked thru a TA, call them and have them make arrangements; if you booked thru carnival, call them and let them know.

good luck,

laurie

I can vouch for the Frio packs. Someone on these boards mentioned them several months ago. There are several sizes, I purchased the smallest. It holds a couple of vials of insulin and keeps them cool for a long time, depending on the surrounding temperature. I've had them stay cool for 4 days in the desert, and more than a week at regular room temp. While I usually have a fridge in a motel room or cabin, I like to take my insulins in a Frio on side trips / shore trips, and it's kept things cool in the hot sun and in hot cars. I don't like to leave the ship without adequate supplies. You never know when one of those tour operators might let me down and I'll wind up having dinner at their house, instead of in the dining room :eek:

Good advice from everyone on contacting Carnival ahead of time for the fridge for your cabin. Our room steward has always kept an eye on my sharps container, and replaced it when it's getting full.

Are you going to Cozumel on the Inspiration? You and your mom have a great time!

Thanks,

Barbara

A) Have your booking properly documented for medical need. Let them know you need a sharps box for needle disposal.

B) Carnival will NOT provide a frig for you. They will however, advise you to bring a cooler that the room steward can keep filled with ice or you can keep your meds with the purser's desk. They will put them in a frig for you and you can go to the purser's desk whenever you need to retrieve them.

Of the two options, I'd bring a cooler.

I can vouch for the Frio packs. Someone on these boards mentioned them several months ago. There are several sizes, I purchased the smallest. It holds a couple of vials of insulin and keeps them cool for a long time, depending on the surrounding temperature. I've had them stay cool for 4 days in the desert, and more than a week at regular room temp. While I usually have a fridge in a motel room or cabin, I like to take my insulins in a Frio on side trips / shore trips, and it's kept things cool in the hot sun and in hot cars. I don't like to leave the ship without adequate supplies. You never know when one of those tour operators might let me down and I'll wind up having dinner at their house, instead of in the dining room :eek:

Good advice from everyone on contacting Carnival ahead of time for the fridge for your cabin. Our room steward has always kept an eye on my sharps container, and replaced it when it's getting full.

Are you going to Cozumel on the Inspiration? You and your mom have a great time!

Thanks again to everyone for all the info. I will have my TA contact Carnival, but I think I will look into the Frio packs because the poster below said that Carnival would not provide a fridge. We will be going on the Inspiration with stops in Cozumel and Grand Cayman - so she will definitely need to bring her small insulated travel pack with her anyway while we are on the islands.

Happy cruising everyone!

Archived