Price reduction

travelers07

Just noticed a price reduction on a few of the sailings in August- especially the one on 8/16/08 on Quest. There was a drop a couple of weeks ago when they added some senior discounts (don't want to admit we were included in that!), but today's new prices are lower and no age restriction. Other dates seemed a little lower, but this one dropped quite a bit. These are on the Azamara site so assume other places have them too.

but today's new prices are lower and no age restriction. Other dates seemed a little lower, but this one dropped quite a bit. These are on the Azamara site so assume other places have them too.

Not a good sign if the price goes down. While some might think that is great for the consumer it actually has the opposite effect.

Lower prices means lower revenue and in order to maintain the bottom line profit margin something else has to give such as food quality or service.

It's too bad these cruises just aren't selling very well.

The revenue a cruise line takes in from the basic cruise fare is only the beginning of their revenue stream from that passenger. People buy drinks, tours, spa treatments, etc. If a cabin sails empty there is no revenue from the cabin for that sailing. Azamara is not the only cruise line experiencing difficulty with European itineraries right now. The value of the euro vs. the dollar is making Europe a hard sell. The state of the US economy is certainly not helping. People are cutting back in many places.

In tough economic times the bottom line profit margin may suffer. But most smart businesses know that cutting back on a product's quality will hurt in both the short and long term.

We leave on our first Azamara cruise on Saturday. Our comparison will be to Oceania. If we like Azamara and the prices continue to be favorable, we'll switch to Azamara.

For so long European based cruises have been more expensive than the in the US area.Is it possible that Europeans are realising that they have been overcharged in the past an are declining to pay the prices? The dollar euro/pound exchange rate has a part to play but I think we are now using our "nous" to search for good deals.Europe has a large "package holiday" industry and cruising was a late comer, perhaps the glitter has gone and reality has kicked in.

Dear Travelers 07,

Glad to hear you received a lower fare on your upcoming cruise. I do have a question about the senior discount. My parents are traveling with us on the June 21st Quest sailing and are "well into" their senior years. After reading your post, I went to the Azamara website but did not see anything about the senior discount.

Would you be able to provide some additional details?

Thank you and Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Dear Travelers 07,

Glad to hear you received a lower fare on your upcoming cruise. I do have a question about the senior discount. My parents are traveling with us on the June 21st Quest sailing and are "well into" their senior years. After reading your post, I went to the Azamara website but did not see anything about the senior discount.

Would you be able to provide some additional details?

Thank you and Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Nancy

As already mentioned on the Roll Call, we're on the June 21 Quest sailing and are 'fairly well into our senior years'. We do not get senior discounts in the UK as a rule but after checking with our TA yesterday, she gave us the pleasant news that the price has gone down and we will get a further reduction of approx. £500 (i.e. around $1000) on our booking. It's always worth checking with your TA on a regular basis for any reductions available. So keep it coming, I say! - Now what can I buy with that £500 I'm saving!!

Rita

Nancy-

You are right that the senior discount does not show on the Azamara web site. I found it on a couple of other very large discount cruise shopping sites- just look for one that asks if you are over 55 and check yes. Only some of the cruises offer that price, but it is worth it to check. When I called Azamara, they did have the rate- it just was not on their web site.

Good luck!

It's too bad these cruises just aren't selling very well.

Indeed. While I'm certain the current economic situation and the dollar/euro/pound exchange rates are factors at play here, I wonder whether there could be another factor to include, i.e., Azamara's extremely restrictive smoking policy.

In any event, let's hope all those who were ectastic to have the chance to sail on virtually nonsmoking vessels jump onboard and fill those smoke-free cabins. After all, we all remember what happened to the Paradise.

Indeed. While I'm certain the current economic situation and the dollar/euro/pound exchange rates are factors at play here, I wonder whether there could be another factor to include, i.e., Azamara's extremely restrictive smoking policy.

In any event, let's hope all those who were ectastic to have the chance to sail on virtually nonsmoking vessels jump onboard and fill those smoke-free cabins. After all, we all remember what happened to the Paradise.

I do not believe the restrictive smoking policy has anything to do with it..if it does, it is for more people to cruise on Azamara than not..IMHO it all has to do with the economy and the value of our dollar!! I hear that every day!!!

I also say..book NOW for Azamara before they start raising prices again..Their Europe is the best deal in town for great itineraries..

I am looking forward to going myself!!

Jan

Archived