anybody cruise with broken arm?

emerylynne

I was spending a wonderful day with husband riding our 4 wheelers when murphy struck and I rolled down a 50 foot hill.

cruise is 45 days away so I may not be fully healed. I would not think they would deny me boarding. anybody know?

We are cruising to Alasaka this year BECAUSE of a broken arm...my mom fell and broke her arm, and we decided to cancel our planned cruise to Europe and the Middle East this summer (nothing worse than extreme heat when showering is difficult). We figure that with Alaska she can have some wonderful scenery to enjoy most days, and even if she doesn't feel like getting off the ship, she will still have a wonderful vacation!

I just spoke to ncl as well to make sure I would not be denied boarding or anything.

having never cruised before and being overly excited to go I wanted to make sure.

I hope I will be 100% healed by then because I wanted to try ziplining but I am sure they will not allow me if still in cast or sling.

I will pray until then.

• Administrators
I was spending a wonderful day with husband riding our 4 wheelers when murphy struck and I rolled down a 50 foot hill.

cruise is 45 days away so I may not be fully healed. I would not think they would deny me boarding. anybody know?

Ouch! I hope you have a quick recovery and no issues on your cruise (I can't see it being an issue to the cruiseline). However, I would suggest you check with your doctor about recommendations for how to fly in this case, in addition to the cruise thing. I'm not a medical professional (nor do I play one on tv! ;)) but I know there are concerns with flying with broken limbs -- relating to standard long flight issues of blood clots due to immobility, I think, but I couldn't begin to say for sure.

Emerylynne,

Several years ago my husband broke his arm on a Monday, saw the Dr. on Tuesday, had surgery on Wed. and we left for our cruise to S.A. on Saturday. His only restriction was what he "couldn't do" with a cast on, like zip lining, water sports, etc. It was almost impossible for him to take pix or use a video camera. That's when the video recorders were big and bulky. Point being, he didn't let the cast get in the way of his enjoying the cruise and it was port heavy. He also got a lot of sympathy on that cruise. You'll love it in spite of the cast. Maybe a little less adventurous but nothing to worry about.

I never considered the flying issue, we are driving to port but I have another flight shortly before the cruise. I will discuss that with the doctor today as well.

I am going to go and have a great time regardless, making the best of the things I can do. If I can't zipline then I guess we will have to go back later just so I can someday.:D

I'm not a doc or nurse either, but want to remind the OP that there's a certain amount of muscle atrophy after being in a cast. So factor THAT in to any plans you make for shore excursions -- you will not have the strength in your arm that you are accustomed to.

Last October we went on a Western Carribbean family cruise, just 5 weeks after my DH broke his hip. He was determined to go because it was with all of his 5 siblings. So, we rented an electric scooter and off we went. There were lots of things he couldn't do, but he had a great time anyways. It was actually nice to spend the day alone with him onboard on the port days that we couldn't get off the ship (tendered).

Have a great time on your cruise!

Fracture healing has lots of variables - ie: Was this a closed reduction or did it require opening up your arm for plates/screws, how bad is the fracture, what's your age, what's your health history, do you smoke. etc. Your ortho doc can tell you a guesstimate about healing time and post cast recovery time. Tell them your concerns and ask them lots of questions. If you will still be in a cast - ask if they used or offer waterprooof materials. If so, you might want to ask for a cast change so that an accidental wetting of the cast won't be an issue during your cruise. It might mean an extra charge but that might be worth it for you.

I guess be glad that you aren't cruising the hot Caribbean in a cast. Sand and sun is not your friend in a cast.

Hope you get your questions answered so that you can use your energy to have the best cruise ever!!!

May I suggest that you leave four-wheeling off your list for Alaska excursions?:) And purchase travel insurance...

If your physican gives the the go ahead, I see no reason why cruising should be an issue.

I sailed Alaska a couple of years ago after nicking my anklebone. Limited my walking, but otherwise, no problems whatsoever.

After saving for almost 2 years for a Disney cruise my son broke his arm riding a dirt bike 3 days before the cruise. For an additional 20.00 or so the orthopedist put him in a fiberglass cast that he was free to swim in. The only caveat was that he had to rinse the arm thoroughly after getting out of the salt water.

Archived