How long is the walk to the ferry on St. Thomas?

I would like to take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie to St. John (so I don't have to worry about getting a taxi from the cruise ship to Red Hook). I hope to be able to walk to wherever I need to catch the ferry in Charlotte Amalie.

The Mariner of the Seas most likely will be docked at Havensight. You can certainly walk into downtown Charlotte Amalie to catch that ferry but be aware that it will probably take 30 to 45 minutes. You are better off taking a taxi to either ferry point (Red Hook or downtown Charlotte Amalie).

The Mariner of the Seas most likely will be docked at Havensight. You can certainly walk into downtown Charlotte Amalie to catch that ferry but be aware that it will probably take 30 to 45 minutes. You are better off taking a taxi to either ferry point (Red Hook or downtown Charlotte Amalie).

I second Wrona's recommendation that you take a taxi to either ferry as even the walk to the ferry in Charlotte Amalie is a long one. There should be absolutely no problem getting a taxi to either ferry, and it is even likely that the drivers will be more anxious to take you to Red Hook than the relatively short ride to the ferry in downtown Charlotte Amalie. In all our visits to St. Thomas we have never noted a shortage of taxis at the dock ready to take you anywhere on the island.:)

We were in St Thomas the first of March and we walked to the ferry in town and if I remember right it took about 30 minutes, but it is doable. We spent most of the day on St John and then went back. When we got back We even walked to the other pier (not sure of the name) to see the Queen Mary II and that was some walk. But well worth it.

I would like to take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie to St. John (so I don't have to worry about getting a taxi from the cruise ship to Red Hook). I hope to be able to walk to wherever I need to catch the ferry in Charlotte Amalie.

Sorry, it's not possible to walk to Red Hook. Plan on taking a cab. There is a good thread about cabs on the St. Thomas board.

I'm sorry. I misread your original post - I thought you wanted to go to Red Hook. But, I would probably still take a cab even to downtown Charlotte Amalie.:)

Archived