Need to buy digital camera-which model best for AK pics

mylife

Right now I do not use a digital camera. I like my photos printed right away, and scrapbook them. However, I know that using 35mm film, etc... will not work for Alaska as I'd have to pay for all the photos to be printed, the bulk of carrying all that film....you get the idea.

So, with all the experienced AK travelers out there, I am asking you for your input as to what type of digital camera would be best for nature photography. I know I want a camera that is small enough to put in ones pocket (the Canon one that a lot of people have mentioned on another thread is really large), that has the red-eye reduction, and that is easy to use - I don't want a ton of features that I have to read up on - or worse yet - accidentally hit. I am not a camera whiz, so I'm not familiar with a lot of the lingo - so please keep simple if you can:p My budget is $300. Thanks so much - this website is a wealth of information!

I have not been to Alaska (yet!) but can speak to digital photography and cameras a little from experience and research. Your best photography comes from an SLR and those are going to be bulky and expensive - not what you want from your post.

Your next best bet is an SLR-like camera but that also may be a little bit more bulk than you want (not really going to fit in your pocket).

Lastly, a good all around camera that does suit your needs and will give you the best options for shooting scenery and widlife is going to be one of the smaller big zoom cameras. These go all the way up to 12x optical zoom (dont bother with or consider using any digital zoom, it degrades quality too much) which is the equivilent of about a 420mm lens on an SLR.

As far as models, I recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 or TZ5. I bought the TZ3 for my mother and it is a great little camera and what I determined to be the best of the big zoom pocket cameras. I myself own an older model DMC-FZ5 which is one of the mid-sized cameras and have been very happy with it, which is one of the resaons I chose the TZ3.

Good luck!

I have the Panasonic TZ-3 (I think there is a TZ-5 out now) and while it has the same limitations that all small digital cameras have the 28mm to 280mm lens make it very nice for the landscapes and wildlife close ups you'll want to take to Alaska.

While it's a little bulkier that a lot of the VERY slim cameras it fits in my jeans pocket just fine. And none of those slim cameras have a zoom lens like this.

I paid < $300 for my TZ-3 several months ago. Since a newer model is out you might be able to find the TZ-3 at a good price.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07013105panasonictz2tz3.asp

This set of reviews of cameras under $300 was helpful to me. The prices are probably lower than they were in December when this was published. I ended up getting the Fuji 50FD, which I am very happy with. I saw it recently at costco.com for $199.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/technology/personaltech/06pogue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=business

Right now I do not use a digital camera. I like my photos printed right away, and scrapbook them. However, I know that using 35mm film, etc... will not work for Alaska as I'd have to pay for all the photos to be printed, the bulk of carrying all that film....you get the idea.

Found a good link that may serve as a primer for understanding what features & specs you might want in a camera. Then its a matter of finding the camera that meets those requirements. Keep in mind the camera is the base, you'll also need batteries and memory card(s)....

This link has some decent explantions on the features/functions of digicams and classes : http://www.neocamera.com/guide_camera_basics.html

If you are going the AA route for batteries take a look around http://www.thomasdistributing.com/ and specifically the low-discharge rechargables.

HTH

Chris in VA

I have not been to Alaska (yet!) but can speak to digital photography and cameras a little from experience and research. Your best photography comes from an SLR and those are going to be bulky and expensive - not what you want from your post.

As far as models, I recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 or TZ5. I bought the TZ3 for my mother and it is a great little camera and what I determined to be the best of the big zoom pocket cameras. I myself own an older model DMC-FZ5 which is one of the mid-sized cameras and have been very happy with it, which is one of the resaons I chose the TZ3.

Good luck!

I too have a DMC-FZ5 and absolutely love it. It has a 12x Zoom and I get really good pics in Alaska with it. I'm not a very technical person and love the fact that I can get great pics w/o a lot of complicated settings. My husband has a Nikon SLR D70. He loves his camara; but too big and technical for me. We both took over 2000 pics on our last trip and can hardly wait till August: We're going back with 10 nights pre land to for the most part places we haven't gone before, plus on the Volendam to mostly new ports as well! Wonder how many we'll take this time????

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sony DSC-H7 - 8.1 mp with 15x zoom (the equivalent of 462mm SLR lens) - and I love it. I got it specifically for our Alaska cruise in August (actually, the cruise was a good excuse to upgrade from a 6.1 mp / 3x zoom:o). My son talked me out of an SLR and I'm glad he did. I wanted a camera I could carry with me all of the time and while it's a little bulkier than the standard advanced point & shoot it still fits in my messenger bag type purse. It has lots of auto features as well as macro, landscape, fireworks, etc. settings. But it can be completely manual, shutter priority or aperture priority if I want. I just finished an on-line photography course which really helped me understand a lot of the more advanced stuff. But I bet I'll probably use the auto settings a majority of the time - wild animals or birds seldom sit and pose for you while you fiddle with the settings on your camera. I also am planning to take my laptop along so I can download at the end of every day.

Judy

If you are looking for a budget-minded digital camera, that takes really sharp/vibrant photos, check out the Kodak Z712 or Z812 cameras. They have a digital 12X zoom with IS (instant stabilization), are very lightweight and take great pictures. These cameras don't take RAW pictures, but they are extremely easy to learn and the results are spectacular! I highly suggest you try before you buy. Put the camera in your hands and see if you like the feel of the camera. Ask to have someone put a "memory card" in it and try taking a picture.

Alaska is wonderful!

If you are looking for a budget-minded digital camera, that takes really sharp/vibrant photos, check out the Kodak Z712 or Z812 cameras. They have a digital 12X zoom with IS (instant stabilization), are very lightweight and take great pictures. These cameras don't take RAW pictures, but they are extremely easy to learn and the results are spectacular! I highly suggest you try before you buy. Put the camera in your hands and see if you like the feel of the camera. Ask to have someone put a "memory card" in it and try taking a picture.

Alaska is wonderful!

I would have to agree with you on checking out one of these cameras. We have the z612, which is older than the ones mentioned and we love it. It seems that the Kodak cameras are quite a bit less than the other ones with similar features. We bought ours about a year ago, and only paid $170, which I thought was a great bargain for a high zoom camera.

Regardless of what model camera you buy remember to buy RECHARGEABLE batteries for it as well as the recharger unit as well. Best to buy multiple sets of batteries so you can replace them if they go our while you are still on your tour. Recharge all batteries once you are back in your cabin every day/night.

If you are comfortable using SLR, you may want to try out those latest d-SLR cameras. They are better in many ways than the compact point and shooters. As a Canon fan, I would go with Canon 40D or digital Rebel.

If you are comfortable using SLR, you may want to try out those latest d-SLR cameras. They are better in many ways than the compact point and shooters. As a Canon fan, I would go with Canon 40D or digital Rebel.

You won't get a 40D on a $300 budget! :eek: Also, when considering zoom, optical zoom is the only thing that matters. Digital zoom just crops the picture in the camera and you lose resolution. Personally, I like the Canon Powershot A series cameras. They are easy to use, rugged, relatively inexpensive and small enough to carry in a pocket. I saw the A590is (4x optical zoom and 8 MP) yesterday at Best Buy for just $179 which is a great buy. Although a higher zoom would be better for AK, the 4x on the A series allows some good shots.

You won't get a 40D on a $300 budget! :eek: Also, when considering zoom, optical zoom is the only thing that matters. Digital zoom just crops the picture in the camera and you lose resolution. Personally, I like the Canon Powershot A series cameras. They are easy to use, rugged, relatively inexpensive and small enough to carry in a pocket. I saw the A590is (4x optical zoom and 8 MP) yesterday at Best Buy for just $179 which is a great buy. Although a higher zoom would be better for AK, the 4x on the A series allows some good shots.
My 15yo son wanted to buy a digital SLR for wildlife photography using his holiday money, but even the canon rebel was well out of his budget. He ended up choosing a panasonic FZ18 for a little over $300 from amazon, and we are really amazed at the image quality...even at 18x zoom. I recently purchased him a 1.7x teleconverter for his birthday, and even with this added magnification the image quality is great. This is a lightweight and affordable option. Here is a review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ18/FZ18A.HTM

Ebay has some great deals on the Kodak Z712. I just bought a refurbished one (with a year waranty) one for our upcoming trip to AK. I got the camera, rechargable battery, small tripod, bag, AND the printer dock for $130 + shipping. Just the camera alone is usually more than $200.

Kodak Z712 gets good reviews online and it is definitely the cheapest in the superzoom cameras. My SIL has one, and her pictures come out wonderfully!

I just finished an on-line photography course which really helped me understand a lot of the more advanced stuff. But I bet I'll probably use the auto settings a majority of the time - wild animals or birds seldom sit and pose for you while you fiddle with the settings on your camera.

Judy

Judy,

From whom did you take an online photography course? Was it for beginners?

Thanks,

You sound like just the basic point and shoot type person.

Accordingly, I highly recommend the Canon SD750. We had it on our Alaskan trip. Took pics as good as our Nikon D200 SLR camera. We eventually returned it and got a Canon SD870 IS. Was seduced by the 870's features, which included a wide® angle lens and image stabilization. It was all a bunch of baloney. The basic SD750 was just awesome. No need for image stabilzation (our SLR lens has it, but the SD750 still took great pics) and it won't take pics in as many conditions as the SD750. Plus, the pics don't seem as clear. Indoor shots (particularly if bad lighting) are awesome! The flash is incredible. We went with Canon cuz we got sick of Sony's weak flash (practically useless indoors).

We ended up buying another SD750 a few days ago for my SIL. It's under $200 ($170 at Costco). 2GB SD card costs less than $20. So, you can have everything you need for about $200.

I've tried a lot of point and shoot digital cameras. Nowadays, almost everything is pretty good. However, if I were asked to make a broad recommendation for a basic point and shoot, I'd say to pick a Canon. Their whole line is very good. But the SD750 is still my favorite overall for your basic point and shoot.

I really like Canon cameras. I just bought my 3rd one today - the G9. However, I also need a view finder which the SD 750 doesn't have. I find that particularly at max zoom or in unsteady (think cruise ship) or windy conditions (think out on deck) I have a hard time holding the camera steady. Maybe it is because I am no longer a spring chicken, :( but having a view finder is a deciding factor in camera choice. There was another Canon that I liked. It had 12x optical zoom (great for Alaska) at a good price but no view finder. :eek: So I went with the G9. I was at Circuit City today and they had the Powershot A590is for $170 - $10 cheaper than Best Buy. It is a great little camera.

My 15yo son wanted to buy a digital SLR for wildlife photography using his holiday money, but even the canon rebel was well out of his budget. He ended up choosing a panasonic FZ18 for a little over $300 from amazon, and we are really amazed at the image quality...even at 18x zoom. I recently purchased him a 1.7x teleconverter for his birthday, and even with this added magnification the image quality is great. This is a lightweight and affordable option. Here is a review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ18/FZ18A.HTM

I took a brief look at the review and it looks like a great camera particularly for that price. My DH's first digital camera was a Lumix FZ10 which we had on our 1st Alaska cruise in 2004. We got some great shots with it but I am sure that with the improvements that have been made in digital photography in the last 4 years, the FZ18 is MUCH better.

I took a brief look at the review and it looks like a great camera particularly for that price. My DH's first digital camera was a Lumix FZ10 which we had on our 1st Alaska cruise in 2004. We got some great shots with it but I am sure that with the improvements that have been made in digital photography in the last 4 years, the FZ18 is MUCH better.

I think this (and similar options from canon and sony) are great choices if you don't want the weight/expense of a d-SLR.:)

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a filter set that you can hold in front of a standard digital camera (like a Canon Powershot)? I was thinking it might be fun to experiment with it on our AK cruise, but I can't really afford a real SLR setup.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a filter set that you can hold in front of a standard digital camera (like a Canon Powershot)? I was thinking it might be fun to experiment with it on our AK cruise, but I can't really afford a real SLR setup.

Unless the front of the lens is threaded on your model has an 'adapter tube' you would have to hold it and that can get tricky (not recommended). My Oly 3040 had one and I loved/hated it as it was a pain to put on/take off and made the camera bulkier. It did however let me dive into (near) infrared photography without an SLR.

With the exceptions of polarized/infrared (ie, R72) filters I can't think of much you couldn't do these days with actions in Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom, PSP, Gimp(?) that you can do with a typical filter. Still, there are times when shooting is slowpaced or I'm bored I'll play around with a graduated or neutral density for shooting landscapes if I packed them or know I have to deal with less than ideal conditions.

As to budget for a dSLR take a look on eBay for Cameta Camera and take a look at some of the older model Olympus cameras, in particular the E330 and E500 which can be had with 1-2 very good kit lenses for well under $500!

Cheers

Chris in VA

Good luck!

I have a Panasonic FZ20 and it's a real workhorse for me! You can judge for yourself at the Alaska gallery link in my signature. (Also China taken with the same camera)

I really like Canon cameras. I just bought my 3rd one today - the G9. However, I also need a view finder which the SD 750 doesn't have. I find that particularly at max zoom or in unsteady (think cruise ship) or windy conditions (think out on deck) I have a hard time holding the camera steady. Maybe it is because I am no longer a spring chicken, :( but having a view finder is a deciding factor in camera choice. There was another Canon that I liked. It had 12x optical zoom (great for Alaska) at a good price but no view finder. :eek: So I went with the G9. I was at Circuit City today and they had the Powershot A590is for $170 - $10 cheaper than Best Buy. It is a great little camera.

Hmm, very interesting. I guess since it's not a problem for me, that I never even considered the viewfinder issue. Part of the reason I like the SD750 is the big 3 inch LCD screen. I haven't looked thru a viewfinder on a point and shoot digital camera in years. One of the main reasons I enjoy digitals is cuz I can just use the LCD to frame the shot.

Does looking through the viewfinder really make that much of a difference in terms of making it steadier and easier to frame the shot?

I'm trying to imagine it cuz all our little point and shoots don't have viewfinders anymore. Our SLR does, but the window is so big, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I make camera recommendations to my older relatives so this is an issue I'd like to learn more about cuz they may have the same problem.

Archived