kayaking in Icy Strait???

widehunters3

'widehunters3',

Kayaking is pretty new to Icy Strait, and the independent company 'coolrider' mentioned may be the only idependent in town. I must say, I almost always prefer independent tours because they are usually smaller groups and I do like supporting the locals.

However in the case of Icy Strait/Hoonah, the kayaking excursion offered thru the cruise line may well be worth looking into.

I say that because in my research for my upcoming trip where I'll be spending three pre-cruise nights in Hoonah, I have found out some information others may find helpful.

Koo Hook will be the lead in the kayaking team that will be offering excursions thru the cruise lines! Koo Hook, started a great thread here on CruiseCritic several years back and taught us all much about the history and insights into the hearts of the Native Alaskans who live in Hoonah/Icy Strait. I will never forget when we arrived in Icy Strait and the great welcome Koo Hook extended to us back in 2005. On our 2nd trip the next year, we got to know him even better on the Summit as he was the Naturalist on board! So if I sound like a one person cheering section for him, I guess I have to confess that I am...he's that great a guy!

My understanding is that they will be using double kayaks and 12 people will go out at one time with two guides. That's a really good ratio! People will not only have a great time kayaking with Koo Hook and the guides he will be leading; they will experience the incredible beauty in the waters around Hoonah and the sights/wildlife along the shoreline as well. Besides that, with Koo Hook and company, people will experience Icy Strait like not many others will ever experience!

Have a great trip!

• 1 month later...
has anyone else tried to book a kayak trip out of the Icy Strait port. I have tried sending and e-mail and calling and neither working numbers. Any other suggestions

thanks

I'm booked for this trip in late July. We booked thru the cruise line. My understanding is that the tour operator does not book independently, only thru the cruise lines . . . but I could be wrong about this.

Deborah

I'm booked for this trip in late July. We booked thru the cruise line. My understanding is that the tour operator does not book independently, only thru the cruise lines . . . but I could be wrong about this.

Deborah

The above is true...my post on this thread a while back sums up the information. I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from people returning from Icy Strait. DJD-Houston, I sure hope you aren't the first to give your feedback!

'widehunters3',

Kayaking is pretty new to Icy Strait, and the independent company 'coolrider' mentioned may be the only idependent in town. I must say, I almost always prefer independent tours because they are usually smaller groups and I do like supporting the locals.

However in the case of Icy Strait/Hoonah, the kayaking excursion offered thru the cruise line may well be worth looking into.

I say that because in my research for my upcoming trip where I'll be spending three pre-cruise nights in Hoonah, I have found out some information others may find helpful.

Koo Hook will be the lead in the kayaking team that will be offering excursions thru the cruise lines! Koo Hook, started a great thread here on CruiseCritic several years back and taught us all much about the history and insights into the hearts of the Native Alaskans who live in Hoonah/Icy Strait. I will never forget when we arrived in Icy Strait and the great welcome Koo Hook extended to us back in 2005. On our 2nd trip the next year, we got to know him even better on the Summit as he was the Naturalist on board! So if I sound like a one person cheering section for him, I guess I have to confess that I am...he's that great a guy!

My understanding is that they will be using double kayaks and 12 people will go out at one time with two guides. That's a really good ratio! People will not only have a great time kayaking with Koo Hook and the guides he will be leading; they will experience the incredible beauty in the waters around Hoonah and the sights/wildlife along the shoreline as well. Besides that, with Koo Hook and company, people will experience Icy Strait like not many others will ever experience!

Have a great trip!

We have not booked this excursion and probably will not be able to once we get on the ship as it may be booked up. However, just in case, what type of waterproof gear do they provide, or do you need to supply your own? We have only gone kayaking once and it was on a warm day in Key West. I remember getting slightly wet then but it was ok as it was not icy water in cool or cold weather conditions. The thought of getting wet and freezing cold is what kept me from checking into this further before now.

The above is true...my post on this thread a while back sums up the information. I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from people returning from Icy Strait. DJD-Houston, I sure hope you aren't the first to give your feedback!

Thanks SEPyle! I too hope I'm not the first! I'd love to hear from someone before my sailing!!

Deborah

FYI:

I do believe that Koo Hook is with Alaska Raven Charters (Ora) in Hoonah doing the kayak thing.

Sea-level, you're right, Koo Hook is with Alaska Raven Charters/Ora. They are contracting with the cruiseline for the kayaking tours so it's necessary to book thru the cruise line to kayak with Koo Hook.

Cardfan,

I'm not sure of the answer to your question about waterproof gear and if they will provide same. I know when I kayaked in Ketchikan the kayak had a thing that is attached to the kayak and somehow goes around your waist, so water doesn't get in (I'm thinking it's called a kayak skirt???). I know Ora is using state of the art equipment, but for specifics I would send him an email. He's really a great guy! I know since it's the beginning of the season he's quite busy, but he will respond to your email as soon as he can. His email address is: ora at alsakanravencharters dot com.

If you're interested in this excursion I really do recommend that you book it prior to the cruise. I can't imagine it would be any less than first rate!

As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, we will be visiting Hoonah/Icy Strait for 3 nights in early August. To say we looking forward to our time in Hoonah (this will be our 3rd visit; the first two just for the day; on cruises) as the high point of our 17 days in Alaska is an understatement! It's truely an incredible place!

• 1 year later...

I know this is a super old thread, but I have some questions for anyone who has done the kayaking excursion in Icy Strait Point and I didn't see anything more recent.

Are all of the kayaks doubles? Does everyone get the waterproof skirt on? Were there any opportunities for taking photos? (Did anyone bring cameras?) How wet would they get? Do you kayak for the whole time or are there times where you stop to look around (and therefore may have the chance for a photo op)? My husband and I are booked on this for our cruise in a week and a half and are just trying to figure out what to do with our camera and trying different waterproofing techniques. :)

I know this is a super old thread, but I have some questions for anyone who has done the kayaking excursion in Icy Strait Point and I didn't see anything more recent.

Are all of the kayaks doubles? Does everyone get the waterproof skirt on? Were there any opportunities for taking photos? (Did anyone bring cameras?) How wet would they get? Do you kayak for the whole time or are there times where you stop to look around (and therefore may have the chance for a photo op)? My husband and I are booked on this for our cruise in a week and a half and are just trying to figure out what to do with our camera and trying different waterproofing techniques. :)

Just back from the Millennium SB. Saw the kayaking excursion in ISP. It basically stays inside the harbor where the ship is parked. We went kayaking in Ketchikan with SE Sea Kayaks to Orcas Cove. They provided the kayak skirt and a waterproof jacket. It turned out to be one of the warmest days Ketchikan has seen in years, so it wasn't an issue, but we surely would have been dry from the waist down even if it was wet otherwise. They also provided a dry bag for camera, etc that we stored under the skirt. I was able to keep the camera out of the dry bag most of the time just tucked into the PFD.

My sister and I joined this excursion last July during our stop in Icy Strait Point. We thoroughly enjoyed it! All of the kayaks I saw (with the exception of the guides) were 2 person kayaks and everyone had their own waterproof skirt. We also had on rain jackets with hoods due to the slight drizzle that day. We didn't wear gloves and our hands did get wet, but we were not uncomfortable at all. As someone else mentioned, we didn't stray too far from the harbor, just paddled into the town's harbor to look around a bit.

My sister and I each had a small point and shoot camera for which we brought waterproof cases and we had no trouble taking photos with those even while we were paddling since there was no concern about getting them wet. I am a serious amateur photographer and don't go anywhere without my SLR camera, so I also brought along a dry bag I cold fit a small amount of gear in and keep it safe during the times we were paddling. We would take occasional paddling breaks to stop and view various landmarks and sights in the area and I would open the dry bag strapped to the kayak just in front of me, pull out the camera, take a few quick shots and pack it back in again. This worked very well for me. If you don't already have a dry bag, the operator did have some that they were willing to let us use.

I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your trip! :)

Deborah

Archived