Star Flyer Tahiti 10 days report

lovetoleave

Am I missing something?

I've only been able to get Geoff's report that ends with boarding. Is there anything else? Looking forward to the entire report as there has been limited info since the initial sailing. We have 127 days to go!

Mike

Page has been updated......kind of cool to have a running commentary. Keeps you anticipating the next installment:)

Which cabin did you have? We're in 330. It also looks from the pics that they have finished the decking....she looks very spiffy!

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for reading the blog. I was in cabin 335.

When you go to the blog page, on the right side you'll see a place to enter your email address. Do that and you will get a notice by email whenever I post a new entry.

When you opt to go to the new entry, you'll see very small print. Click on "Geoff Edwards On Cruising" at the top of the page and you'll get it the way it should be.

You'll love your trip!!!

Thanks! Shame about the camera:( That's not the place to be without...hopefully you had another one.

Looks like our cabin should be very similar to yours and that the ship heels to the port side mostly;)

Mike

Well, he was going to Huahine next and mentioned the name meant something kids shouldn't hear, so maybe he was swept off his feet & never returned to the ship:D

I am so looking forward for the next installment also.

Mike

Mike

I see you have been on TP and are going on Star Flyer

Us too

We have had a couple of trips on TP and are trying SF on 4th May

I am really looking forward to going into Bora Bora on SF - should be pretty spectacular

Love French Polynesia - bit pricey, but it really is the most beauiful place on earth with the turquoise seas that don't look real

We were going to try the PG the second trip until we found out about the Flyer starting up this year and couldn't pass it up. I think it will truely be the best way to re-experience the islands. The one thing I semi-disliked about the TP was the relatively short amount of time actually spent on each island. I think the Flyer will gives us more time to explore after our diving...we saw quite a bit of FP from beneath the sea, but not much on land. We booked so early, we got a cabin upgrade and a substantial discount that made it just a bit more than the balcony we had on the TP and less than a Porthole on the PG and that includes 3 days on land.

Mike

Looking forward to both of your reviews.....we're down to 120 days. Will be in Cozumel while your in Tahiti. Final payment is due the day we get back from Coz. Glad I have it stashed:D

Almost forgot, the link below has some nice pics of one of the SF voyages in Feb. It was posted as a link on Trip Advisor.

Mike

http://www.leue-photo.com/impressions/new/sftahiti/index.htm

Great report!! Sounds like you's having a wonderful time. We'll be embarking on the star Flyer on April 20th.

When you mention trips with guides, could you tell us whether they are ship's excursions, and if so, name them?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, I'm back again with another question.

Did you find that there were tor operators in the ports you visited that you could book when you came ashore? Because the ships information says the itnerary can change, we're rleuctant to book shore excursions online ahead of time.

Vinnie,

My tours were ship's tours. I didn't notice much action from independent tour operators.

Bora Bora ......Shark and Ray Feeding

Huahine ......Huahine Safari Expedition

Moorea...Lagoon cruise with picnic/ Raid Adventure ATV

You are going to have an incredible time!!! I wish I were going back.

Now what am I supposed to do until August......hate to see the report come to an end. Waited impatiently each day for it...it was like a drug!

Everything I've read since the Flyer went to FP has been positive, so I'm sure we made the right decision.

I know you just had a day room, but what were your thoughts of the Radisson? We're staying 2 days post there.

Mike

I have been stressing about our trip on Star Flyer and if it is really sensible to fly half way round the world to take a 7 day trip

It appears from the review that it is!

The mention of the stars at night are a must. We had a week in Christmas Island and saw the whole of the Milky Way above us.

Worried about the rain though which can put a damper on things

If your flying ATN, you should be fine. I was a little concerned prior to our previous flight also. With the 2-4-2 seat arrangement, it is easy to get up & move around and in fact they encourage it. Every so often, just get up & do a few laps. The food was better than US airlines & they provided free coctails even in coach. The individual TV's also help pass the time. They'll have 3 or 4 current movies plus games and also several music channels. Also, the closer you get to the front of the plane, the quicker you will ge through customs. there were only 3 agents working our flight & it took a while to clear.

Mike

Mike;

Thanks, Star Clippers usually offers no prior insight to onshore excursions. Any thoughts on what to expect and are they worth it? Also did you have any preferences?

Our last sail on Royal clipper, Venice to Rome dinners were formal or at least proper attire with gents in long slacks ladies nicely attired. Is this a bit more casual as it is the tropics, although I would not expect shorts on the ladies but is it acceptable for the gents?

Can't really help you there as we haven't been on one of their ships yet. The Star Clippers website does have the full Shore Excursion brochure available. It is a file on the Ports of Call page. All the prices are in Euros though. Looks like they have a good representation. We'll be diving in all the ports they offer, so probably won't be doing many of the other ship excursions....maybe the kayak river trip on Raiatea if the timing works out. We were on the Tahitian Princess last trip. On that trip, there were always venders at the piers willing to take you on island tours and they were always less expensive than the equivalent ship tours. Have been able to get in contact with the Sports Team aboard & they currently offer dives on Raiatea, Bora Bora & Moorea along with Rangiroa on the longer cruises.

From what I've been able to find out, slacks are required for men at dinner along with a collared shirt. Shorts & such are OK for breakfast & lunch. No suits or ties required.

Mike

link to past trip photos

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove#gallery

Archived