A little bit of revenge for the Oosterdam spring break ex-cruisers

Orcrone

What a mature idea! Sounds like something a 7th grader would come up with!
Sorry if my post doesn't meet with your approval. I wouldn't be at all upset if you chose to ignore all my future posts.:rolleyes:

You guys, I'm practically in tears here... I've gotten the kids over their initial upset, but now I'm all distraught again.

Can anybody help? Please advise me...

My TA still doesn't have anything more than $50pp from HAL.

This is the second time I've used the agency in two years; they're a local bricks-and-mortar with a good reputation in town (though I have dealt with one REAL flake there). They claim to book more with HAL and RSSC than anyone else; they advertise frequent groups and specials with both lines.

Do I escalate in the agency? Try to get someone's ear at HAL?

My only other cruises have been on Radisson: this agency booked our first -- a really expensive, last-minute Alaska booking that had no issues or problems; a different agency booked our second, a cruise that TA called "the deal of the century" and a booking that required quite a number of changes and special requests that Radisson bent over backwards to accomodate.

I'm still a newbie, and I need advice!

Cerinda

Cerinda,

Why don't you print out the post from what2travel, bring it into your TA and ask her why he/she can't get a better deal, just as this other TA has.

Hi Krazy Kruizers - I'm not quite sure what you're saying to me? I have had money on deposit for a 2005 HAL cruise for over a month, with final payment not due for many more months. My observation was that if I don't like some of what I hear about how HAL compensates people when they deliberately cancel a cruise, I may retrieve my deposit before final payment and go elsewhere, something that people do all the time for many reasons OTHER than this particular issue. What would HAL know "I've been up to?" I didn't book my cruise out of spite or anything and I'm free to cancel for whatever reason I want before final payment. If I decide how HAL treats passengers it bumps from cruises is a valid reason for ME to cancel....I'm just missing your point I think?? I could cancel because I decided I didn't like the itinerary after all, or I didn't like the room decor, or any of a million reasons. I'm just making the point that THIS particular issue i.e. how HAL handles passengers it dumps MIGHT be something that influences my decision whether to make that final payment or not make that final payment, and perhaps there may be others who feel the same way.

Hi Krazy Kruizers - I'm not quite sure what you're saying to me? I have had money on deposit for a 2005 HAL cruise for over a month, with final payment not due for many more months. My observation was that if I don't like some of what I hear about how HAL compensates people when they deliberately cancel a cruise, I may retrieve my deposit before final payment and go elsewhere, something that people do all the time for many reasons OTHER than this particular issue. What would HAL know "I've been up to?" I didn't book my cruise out of spite or anything and I'm free to cancel for whatever reason I want before final payment. If I decide how HAL treats passengers it bumps from cruises is a valid reason for ME to cancel....I'm just missing your point I think?? I could cancel because I decided I didn't like the itinerary after all, or I didn't like the room decor, or any of a million reasons. I'm just making the point that THIS particular issue i.e. how HAL handles passengers it dumps MIGHT be something that influences my decision whether to make that final payment or not make that final payment, and perhaps there may be others who feel the same way.
Shmabbies,

I believe KK wasn't referring to you directly. She was saying that if we were to really decide to do this, that HAL would realize it as they monitor these boards. This would make the logistics pretty difficult.

Also, I wouldn't recommend you taking your business elsewhere. It is unlikely that your cruise will be cancelled and I have the feeling that what HAL has done here is not at all unique to the industry. So you may just find yourself on a cancelled cruise with somene else, while your HAL cruise sails as planned. It's just Murphy's law.

Hi Orcrone - Krazy Kruizers began that particular post with my name as the first word on it so I don't think I'm too off base by thinking it was directed at me! Unless there's another shmabbies!

Also, my point is not that I don't think it could happen elsewhere i.e. on another cruise line, because of course it could. My point IS that how HAL or any other line HANDLES the dumped people IS the issue. If those people end up being made whole or even come out a little (or a lot) ahead because of their inconvenience, disappointment, and aggravation, that's what I personally am looking for in a cruise line. The cancellation of cruises will continue, I'm sure, just as people get bumped from flights - but it's what the company does to make it up to the person that got the shaft that will make or break it for me. I guess I didn't make that point clear enough.

Speaking of involuntary bumping from aircraft - maybe if the cruise lines continue to do things like this there will be laws about compensation for bumped cruise passengers! Now there's something I'll bet the cruise industry would not like to see!

Cerinda, I am so sorry your TA has not been able to negotiate something acceptable. The questions I have for you is what do you want and what has your TA asked for? If you could share some more information, that might be helpful for us to do some brainstorming with you.

I approached this simply with my TA by giving her two options that would be acceptable to me: 1) rebook another 7 day cruise at a time that is suitable for my family at the same cost for the same stateroom category I booked + reimburse my airfare change fees, or 2) reimburse the total cost of my airfare and I rebook elsewhere. My goal was to break even in my financial outlay, so I did not request any more than that from HAL. My family is switching gears and doing a noncruise vacation over spring break instead, and then shooting for the Alaska cruise when school is out.

If I recall, 3/19 is the only time you are willing to sail. If that is the case, I don't know if there is much that HAL could to to satisfy you, unless you are willing to allow them to rebook another time (summer, or Christmas, or next Spring break). I know you are limited based on kids school schedules, and I am in the same situation. Has your TA asked if you can cruise on another ship at another week in the future? If you could get that and your shipboard credit, you would come out ahead of me, since you haven't lost any money because of airfare, etc. As far as printing off my post to share with your TA to show what I received, as suggested by Orcrone, I can't stop you from that but would prefer that not occur, as my "deal" is not yet final, as far as I am concerned, until I hear back from my TA that we are booked on the "O" for the 7/2 Alaskan sailing. For that I am still waiting, but would be happy to post when things are wrapped up.

As far as printing off my post to share with your TA to show what I received, as suggested by Orcrone, I can't stop you from that but would prefer that not occur, as my "deal" is not yet final, as far as I am concerned, until I hear back from my TA that we are booked on the "O" for the 7/2 Alaskan sailing. For that I am still waiting, but would be happy to post when things are wrapped up.
Sorry want2travelbad. I should have checked with you before giving that suggestion, or at least suggested it based upon your approval. I assumed that since it was on a public board you would not mind, but you know what they say about assuming.:o

Believe me, no offense taken, Orcrone! I understand you are trying to help!:) Also, I understand this is a public forum, and anybody can do what they wish with my post. It's just a preference, and if not honored I would not hold a grudge. Most importantly, I am waiting to hear back from my TA that things are finalized and would not want it portrayed that I got what I have said HAL has offered until the deal is actually sealed.

Want2,

Strategy 1 makes a lot of sense. I'll press her to negotiate for another 7-day this summer; destination is immaterial. Then, if necessary, I'll insist on speaking with the agency principal, and go to strategy 2.

Would you please, please, please let me know what your TA arranges for you?

Thanks,

Cerinda

Cerinda, I am now a confirmed passenger on the "O's" 7/2 Alaskan sailing. HAL put us in the exact same stateroom (it's a BD on the Verandah deck) we were going to be in on the Mexican one, and that is fine with me. We received a $50 pp shipboard credit, plus I will receive another $300 shipboard credit as soon as I fax my airfare change fee confirmation to my TA, and she in turn faxes it to HAL. We have to pay just about $40 pp in increased port fees/taxes. Basically, we are rebooked for a new itinerary at no cost to us, and get an extra $30 for our "pain and suffering". Ha ha!

I am satisified with my outcome. My TA insists HAL will WOW us into forgetting we were ever part of this mess, once we step foot on the ship. My family will embark on this trip with an open mind, and with every intention of having a wonderful time.

I truly hope your situation gets resolved to your satisfaction!

Our situation is still up in the air, but I'm much more optimistic. I'll let everyone know when the dust settles.

My TA went up the HAL chain again today. This time, she asked her HAL contact if she had read the CC HAL board lately.

Hal is offering a much different arrangement today than they offered LAST Friday. It's a generous one, and --if we can make the schedule changes work-- will go a long way to changing our first impression of the line's customer service.

Meanwhile, A THOUSAND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED TO THE THREE THREADS ON THIS BOARD!!!!

Cerinda

Gee, here I was thinking it was you who charter the ship for all the CC'ers just outta the kindness of your heart. I was startin' to pack and all, LOL! ;)
If I were going to do that, do you think I would waste the time and effort on a 7 day cruise? Now the Prinsedam for a world cruise, that's a different story.:D

Everything's settled now. Our TA and HAL have done their cha cha cha.

The five of us will sail a 10-day Sea of Cortez/Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Ryndam departing San Diego March 16 (in place of the cancelled 7-day Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Oosterdam departing March 19). HAL is discounting it deeply enough that it costs us very little more than our original 7-day Oosterdam cruise; they are also extending a $200 shipboard credit to us. It is a generous, customer-focused offer.

It is the kind of offer one would expect a first-rate operation to offer its customers in the first place.

So now we turn to making lemonade: the three extra days cause all sorts of complications, but we're committed to making it work so we can have one last family vacation before the kids start heading off to college.

Archived