Accra Beach Question

kt0331

My family and I will be there in a few week and we are interested in spending a quiet day at the beach.

From reading through the information provided getting there and back will cost US$26 and each pass US$25 US$126 for the four of us.

We are not really looking for a pool or towels as we have them on the ship but the beach, sea and chairs would be nice.

We are trying to choose between Hilton and Accra. Which is a better option?

I would still like to hear some feedback as to which is better Accra or Hilton.

It's a toss-up.

Perhaps less people on the beach at Hilton,

where you'll have the option of using their two or three freshwater pools as well.

Accra has a more local flavor

especially as regards the food and drink available at the snack shacks nearby.

Accra's probably a bit more swim-able if you need to get out in chest-high water

but both have surfy conditions that vary, per day.

Hilton is closer to the ship -not that Accra is that much further away

..it's just another 2 miles East.

I'd like to make another suggestion to you if you want to see Accra beach and a little of the island, as APLMAC usually suggests. Check out scenicbarbados.net. He has a tour for cruise ship visitors that is $30.

You tour the island a little, stop at Bathsheba, which is supposed to be beautiful, see some beaches on the east coast and then return for two to three hours at Accra Beach. Pick up time is 9:30 a.m. and I also heard that he provides beverages. Not too sure about that. here's his website.

http://scenicbarbadostours.net/cruise_tours1.html

We decided to do this since it was going to cost us $26 for taxi. Why not chip in a couple more dollars and see the beautiful island? This will not include your chairs for the beach but I think those are pretty reasonable.

You can also check out this thread regarding his tours. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=933247

Thanks aplmac and kitkat

I think we will go with accra so that we can be closer to the Boardwalk

Thanks for the info on Scenic Barbados kitkat I will give it some thought but I think we might just want to stick with the beach.

Glory Tours Has a similar package for a tour and beach for US$25

Just a word of caution about Glory Tours. I have never used them, but have read some negative reviews on this board. They make you pay a deposit up front (what if the ship misses this port, then you have to mess with getting your money back) and some were overcharged. Also heard of the tour operator being late. Check out this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=866252&highlight=glory+tours

I love doing my research and I would hesitate to use them. Most tour operators have you pay when you go on the excursion, not up front. They may be great, but I have read of problems.

The price is right if you are just going to the beach though.

Enjoy your trip.

Just a word of caution about Glory Tours. I have never used them, but have read some negative reviews on this board. They make you pay a deposit up front (what if the ship misses this port, then you have to mess with getting your money back) and some were overcharged. Also heard of the tour operator being late. Check out this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=866252&highlight=glory+tours

I love doing my research and I would hesitate to use them. Most tour operators have you pay when you go on the excursion, not up front. They may be great, but I have read of problems.

The price is right if you are just going to the beach though.

Enjoy your trip.

I did read some of the stuff yes and to be honest I was a bit concerned I emailed Glory Tours to express my concerns. I very quickly received an email from Sarah who addressed the concerns about the overcharging I also asked her about time because we would not want to be late for our ship. She told me she has never come close to missing the ship, she also said that if they make you late for the ship they will pay for you to get back on. That took care of that concern for me.

She addressed the overcharge concern by explaining that in most cases the overcharge was actually the foreign transaction fee most people mistake for and overcharge and that in one case it was because of a error made by a customer on the booking form. She also said they used to take payment in full but that they just do a US$25 deposit on tours now. I have no problem with paying a deposit because I realize it is a business and they want some sort of security that we will turn up. I noticed Scenic Barbados also takes credit card information online.

I am sure that there are, and always will be people that enjoy one thing while others do not.

As it is just a beach day I am not too worried about it I will book with Glory Tours

Hi Matthew. That's good that Sarah addressed your concerns. Since you are not talking about a lot of money, you really don't have much to loose except time if someone doesn't show up to pick you up.

Regarding scenic barbabos tours, yes they take your credit card info online or you can just email them like we did and reserve your spot with no credit card information at all.

I just love cruisecritic for all the advice, good and bad that helps make your choice when you are looking for excursions. I'm sure you will have a great time.

We've been to Barbados before but went on the Silvermoon catamaran excursion and swam with the turtles which was totally awesome. We didn't however get to see any of the beautiful island. I've read so much on these boards about Bathesheba and photo ops. A lot of people don't like doing the touristy thing and just prefer going to the beach. We just wanted a combination of both for the same price we would be paying for a taxi.

Archived