Maybe it's the title "Senior"

Richard in Panama

I find it interesting . . . when I'm on Celebrity or Holland America 70% of the ship is 55+ . . . yet this Board has no action. Does that mean 70% of CruiseCritic members are under 55? I doubt it!

I readily admit that whether we are "55" or "95" none of us are "seniors" . . . maybe if they dropped that. What's wrong with being 55+ . . . especially when you consider the alternative!

Let me make a point that I make in one of my on board lectures . . . as I see it life divides into three parts:

Under 30 - I know these guys think they know it all, but really they are just Figuring Out Which End Is Up

Next 30 years - Responsibility . . . and being more candid, "Indentured Servitude" to the mortgage, the family, the career, the company, the kids

Last 30 - Your time - to enjoy, to travel, to explore, to do what you've always wanted to do but never had the time to do - if you've always wanted to try skydiving and don't do it now, when are you going to do it? If you wanted to see New Zealand or take the World Cruise . . . now is the time!

The last Holland America ship I was on I met two guys in their 90's - alert, in love, and having fun. The one guy was 95, and I swear (well, not much), if I am like that at 85, I'll be very happy.

So, jump in . . . let's get some action on the 55+ board . . . and maybe the moderator will drop the semi-offensive "senior" tag.

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the 55+ board, and thanks for your thoughts.

I think, and it is just my opinion, that one reason the 55+ board is less active is that most people find the information they are seeking on other boards within Cruise Critic. Ex. If I am sailing on Holland America, then I would be more active on the Holland America board than on the 55+ board.

We will look forward to your in put on being 55+ as it relates to cruising.

Happy to be 55+,

Ann

Aka Host Mama

I find it interesting . . . when I'm on Celebrity or Holland America 70% of the ship is 55+ . . . yet this Board has no action. Does that mean 70% of CruiseCritic members are under 55? I doubt it!

I readily admit that whether we are "55" or "95" none of us are "seniors" . . . maybe if they dropped that. What's wrong with being 55+ . . . especially when you consider the alternative!

Let me make a point that I make in one of my on board lectures . . . as I see it life divides into three parts:

Under 30 - I know these guys think they know it all, but really they are just Figuring Out Which End Is Up

Next 30 years - Responsibility . . . and being more candid, "Indentured Servitude" to the mortgage, the family, the career, the company, the kids

Last 30 - Your time - to enjoy, to travel, to explore, to do what you've always wanted to do but never had the time to do - if you've always wanted to try skydiving and don't do it now, when are you going to do it? If you wanted to see New Zealand or take the World Cruise . . . now is the time!

The last Holland America ship I was on I met two guys in their 90's - alert, in love, and having fun. The one guy was 95, and I swear (well, not much), if I am like that at 85, I'll be very happy.

So, jump in . . . let's get some action on the 55+ board . . . and maybe the moderator will drop the semi-offensive "senior" tag.

Regards, Richard

I have no idea why there isn't much action here, I suspect people get on the other boards and forget this one is here. I do know, where ever you are posting is where I want to be. I have read the most interesting, valuable information on your posts. Thank you for all the thought and research you put into your postings.

There are few issues that are unique to the 55+ group. I am 58, DW is 48 and we have a 12YO DD -- Most of my questions are either generic or "family". Apart from a few discounts, being over 55 does not impact my travel.

• 2 weeks later...

This separate thread for Seniors is an opportunity for seniors to express what they would like the cruise industry, as a whole, to offer them.

As Richard in Panama said, seniors are often in the majority on cruise ships, so should have a louder voice.

As a senior, what I would like is -

• longer in ports (5 hours in Barcelona is almost a deal breaker for me)
  • feature port stops in unique places, such as the Panama Canal (in lieu of just sailing through, which is a deal breaker for me)
  • guest speakers/educational focus (one can only take so much bingo, art auctions, horse racing, etc.)
  • language lessions (basic conversational level suitable for tourists)
  • basic written information provided on ports of call, including mud maps
  • quiet corner to just sit, relax and read a book, whilst enjoying the sea breeze
  • a more efficient system for getting people, who aren't going on ship excursions, off the ships at ports of call, when using tenders.

What would you like?

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

I am 55+ but I don't think about that when I am surfing these boards. I am mainly looking into info about the line I am traveling, where I am traveling and who might be traveling on the same cruise.

I am doing my dream cruise next year and have been getting as much info as i can about it.(the PC) This is my dream cruise as I flew over the Canal on my first plane trip and also my first trip out of the US in 1967 to Venezuela.

I also had to smile when you mentioned New Zealand as that will be my cruise in 2010. My Grandparents were fron Auckland.

I think what I would like to see on the cruises for those of us who (in my dear Fathers words) "has creeped up and crapped on us", is the feeling many people still get when they walk through the gates of Disneyland. Something that makes you feel young at heart.

I get that just watching the ocean from a balcony, and thinking how fortunate I am to be able to do something that I enjoy so much.

I am over 55 and here is another thought why not so many people post on the 55+ site. I have many friends that have not learned how to use a computer. I tell them all the time how much they are missing out on not learning how to use it, that it's a world of knowledge at your finger tips. So many seem to have a fear of it.

I have at least 5 friends that come to my house, just to get me to look something up for them, but have no desire to learn how to turn it on and run it. Oh, they are missing out on so much. They need to be on CC.

I even tell them how many arguements have been settled in our house just by going to the computer for the answer.

I think you are spot on with your insight.

I think it is such a shame because seniors have the time and the thirst for knowledge.

Using the Internet is like having access to a "live" encyclopaedia, in addition to world wide network opportunities. Of course, one must be able to separate the chaff from the wheat. :)

I find it invaluable for researching and booking travel around the world.

I too think you have a really valid point. There are so many beginning classes out there at libraries, senior centers and other places within almost any community that it is a shame that more "seniors" don't take advantage of this valuable tool. So much to be learned from sites like this one, health issues, etc. Don't know how I would get along w/o the internet. Do someone a favor and teach them the basics - it's so easy to bring yourself up to speed once that first step is taken.

This separate thread for Seniors is an opportunity for seniors to express what they would like the cruise industry, as a whole, to offer them.

As Richard in Panama said, seniors are often in the majority on cruise ships, so should have a louder voice.

As a senior, what I would like is -

• longer in ports (5 hours in Barcelona is almost a deal breaker for me)
  • feature port stops in unique places, such as the Panama Canal (in lieu of just sailing through, which is a deal breaker for me)
  • guest speakers/educational focus (one can only take so much bingo, art auctions, horse racing, etc.)
  • language lessions (basic conversational level suitable for tourists)
  • basic written information provided on ports of call, including mud maps
  • quiet corner to just sit, relax and read a book, whilst enjoying the sea breeze
  • a more efficient system for getting people, who aren't going on ship excursions, off the ships at ports of call, when using tenders.

What would you like?

I definitely like the idea of more education/guest speakers. I took my first Elderhostel trip recently and I loved it.

I never have a problem with "chair hogs" because I don't want to be near the pool. Give me a quiet place to sit and read on sea days and I'm a happy camper.

One question - what are mud maps?

We have taken two Elderhostel trips and absolutely loved them - one to Alaska and one "The Rivers of Holland".

Sorry, "mud map" slipped in - it is a rough map (not an official map), enough to help you find your way around independently.

I think, and it is just my opinion, that one reason the 55+ board is less active is that most people find the information they are seeking on other boards within Cruise Critic. Ex. If I am sailing on Holland America, then I would be more active on the Holland America board than on the 55+ board.

Happy to be 55+,

Ann

Aka Host Mama

I think everyone has some good insight, but think Host Mama is correct. I too am 60+, but I have been able to get info I desired from all of the other threads. Maybe we just need to be more vocal, then the lines will listen. Afterall, we supposedly are the age group with the most available disposable income. LOL:cool:

I think everyone has some good insight, but think Host Mama is correct. I too am 60+, but I have been able to get info I desired from all of the other threads. Maybe we just need to be more vocal, then the lines will listen. Afterall, we supposedly are the age group with the most available disposable income. LOL:cool:

I will be 60 this year and have do not consider myself a senior by any stretch of the imagination. I still am very active, will work until I drop and will ride roller coasters until they throw me off. So for me I use the rest of the board for what I need, and just popped in here to see what was happening.

im only 52 but DH is 62 so we do get the 55 + discounts

so I thought I d check things over here

Yes, you would get the discount if there is one available. So far, we have never got a discount on any cruise because of being 55 or older. I don't think they have that special to often or maybe just not on the cruise we have chose.

Yes, you would get the discount if there is one available. So far, we have never got a discount on any cruise because of being 55 or older. I don't think they have that special to often or maybe just not on the cruise we have chose.

We have gotten a Sr. discount on our last 4 cruises.:D We look for spring and fall sailings/ships with this discount.

I will be 58 next month and my lady and I are looking into taking our first cruise. This my first post as you can see and we are both 55+ and was looking at Alaska as our first cruise.

Now the main question is, who do we use to get the best deal or best experience?

Shipper

I will be 58 next month and my lady and I are looking into taking our first cruise. This my first post as you can see and we are both 55+ and was looking at Alaska as our first cruise.

Now the main question is, who do we use to get the best deal or best experience?

Shipper

Having never cruised before I would recommend finding a travel agent where you live that specializes in cruises and going into their office and talking to them. They should ask lots of questions about what you're looking for and give you recommendations as to the best cruise for you. Picking up brochures on all the lines that do Alaska and read through them. Ask the travel agent questions such as if they discount the cruiselines prices, charge a fee if you decide to cancel before final payment is due, charge a fee for making any changes once you've booked. Don't book with someone that you don't feel comfortable with. Come back here to cc and ask questions- lots of questions if you want. Read the Alaska port of calls board. The choices can seem overwelming but the fact is that you will likely love any cruise that you choose so don't get too worried about picking the "perfect" one.

If you are flying to your port of call fly in the day before your cruise NOT the day of your cruise. I don't recommend using cruiseair through the cruiselines but if you do, pay the diviation fee to be able to have control over your own flight times. Purchase insurance to cover the cruise in case of delays and/or any medical problems. You may never use it but not having it and needing it is not a position you want to find yourselves in.

You will have to decide if you want to do just a cruise or a cruise/land combination tour.

We did Alaska last summer on the Golden Princess and loved it. Alaska is absolutely beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. We only had the time to do a 7 night cruise but would love to go back sometime and do a cruise/land tour combination. Good Luck ! :)

MMDown Under

Thanks for the explanation of 'mud maps' Good idea. I liked all your recommendations, but would add: 55+ is ridiculous unless you're only 55! You are barely able to separate "the wheat for the chaff" at that age!

65 would be a better age to designate; more poeple are retired and have time, kids are established (hopefully), many folks are tired of 'the same old same old', and disposable income should be at a peak.

I thought 2 years ago was our last cruise. I wanted to drive cross country for a long time and had planned a trip 3 years ago. Each year, I found a cruise that really fit what we wanted. Last year, we finally made the car trip, but still did a 14 day cruise. Just getting more picky!

I am making my first over 55 reply...Yes I am over 55 but, someone forgot to tell me....I still feel 30+ but, no discounts for that age....what is a guy to do. You only feel the age you are...I am older than 55 but don't feel it. I have too much fun according to my wife of may tears...she also is over 55 and drives a Harley every day...wow what did I marry? We just enjoy life!

HI, Everyone!

We just booked our first cruise a couple of weeks ago and are looking forward to sailing with our daughter, 22, to Alaska on the Tahitian Princess in August.

I'm still learning my way around the Cruise Critic Boards, and I had not realized there was one for the "Wise Folks." Wouldn't "Wise Folks" or maybe "Mature Cruisers" be a better title than "Seniors?"

I found it interesting that Princess Cruises don't offer the Senior discount until you're 60, but some of the others have discounts starting at 55. Ah well....

Nice to meet ya'll. :rolleyes:

I have wondered what questions I might ask on this board but did not come up with anything. I, too, feel that I have gotten answers on other parts of the boards. I do check on the board occasionally. Maybe others can find some discussion points.

My DH and I love Elderhostel. We have only been with them four times (not cruises) but hope for more. I must admit I have been a little disappointed with some of the "lectures" or "talks" on board ship. Perhaps I have been comparing them to the educational parts of our Elderhostel experiences and they come up second best. But, of course, your setting and audience is different. We hope to be able to do both cruising and some Elderhostel experiences in our future.

Archived