Maybe it's the title "Senior"

Richard in Panama

Well I'm "back again":(, adding my two cents worth to this board.:)

I don't know about where you are, (I'm In Kansas City, MO) but it has rained, rained, rained, rained, and still RAINED! Even the whole holiday at the lake i(Branson, MO area) it rained.:mad: They are saying, I'm NOT holding my breath, that we are to have "sunshine" and warm weather starting tomorrow (Thursday thorugh the weekend) - Praise GOD, I can't hardly wait.:)

Someone mentioned about some of the things they notice/enjoy about cruising. One thing I enjoy is meeting other people from different countries. It is amazing the wealth of knowledge I have occured during my cruising years of learning their ways/habits, etc.

I may be 66 (people say I look 60), but I do like to have FUN;)at times. I know everyone has different tastes, which is good. It would be a DULL:rolleyes:world if we were all alike. Someone mentioned they didn't care for the hairy chest, or newlywed games, etc. Some of them I enjoy, others I don't. That is the nice thing about being on the ship where there are a lot of things going on, you can pick and choose what you want to see or do.

brneyes

Sorry to hear about all of your rain in Kansas City. I heard it was raining at our home too in Ohio and our son in Miami has been getting his share of storms as well. Thankfully here in Grand Cayman it's been nice weather for the most part. There have been a few rainy days but the rain doesn't last long and we are wet anyway since we are diving. Thankfully when we get home we don't have to wait long to get our cruising in. We have a cruise scheduled for July 8 on the Century.

We have had our share of rain here in Atlanta...but boy, do we need it!

Near our home in FL (Daytona Beach area), it has RAINED AND RAINED AND RAINED!! People were finding crayfish, snakes, eels(:eek:) in their front yards!! The pictures of the Daytona 500 track were crazy!!

We had over 26" of rain there...it's just nuts!!!

Hello everyone, well it "finally" stopped raining here in Kansas City.:) Today (Friday) the sun is shining beautiful here, and they say the whole weekend is to be this way, HOT, which "thrills" me.:)

Yes, I have friends in Fl and they told me they needed rain bad, and it looks like if finally came through for some.

It looks like someone is still in Cayman, and we enjoyed it so much also. The weather was beautiful there, and in fact, I was sharing my pictures with a friend last night, bringing "memories" of our past cruising together.

It looks like you are getting ready to go on another cruise, not too long after you arrive home, how wonderful.:)

Back to the "senior" area, I pretty much know where discounts are in my area, but does anyone know if there are discounts to be found in the Caribbean, in some of the stores? Since I love warm/HOT weather, I thought I would ask.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.:cool:

brneyes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to add, DH & I are now past the 55 mark...mentally we're in our 20s...physically, well that's a whole other story. Still moving and healthy just a little more laid back. We're planning (well I am doing all the work) for our cruise next year to celebrate our 40th. Thinking about a 14 day Caribbean cruise. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Neverthought

For our 40th last year we did the Mediterranean on the Noordam with four days in Rome before embarkation. Our anniversary dinner was on a piazza in the middle of Rome. It was very nice and we thought the Mediterranean was much prettier than the Caribbean. Unfortunately it's more expensive too unless you find a great deal.

:)Hello everyone, well I'm back, no not from a cruise, but from Florida, after visiting a wonderful friend.:)

As some of you may remember, I was looking;) forward to the HEAT, which I got, but coming back Sunday afternoon here to Kansas City, I walked out of the airport, and the heat almost knocked me over. What a difference in heat.

While in Florida, even though my friend is quite a bit younger (they can get their senior discounts next year), they are looking forward to getting senior discouts like us, and can hardly wait. I thought I would be embarrassed :rolleyes: to ask for the discounts in front of them, but I wasn't. When they said they were looking fowward to getting theirs, that even made me feel better.:)

Hopefully everyone is having a great summer, and if anyone knows of any type of "senior discounts" you can get on some of these islands, would you please let me know?

brneyes

:)Hello everyone, well I'm back, no not from a cruise, but from Florida, after visiting a wonderful friend.:)

As some of you may remember, I was looking;) forward to the HEAT, which I got, but coming back Sunday afternoon here to Kansas City, I walked out of the airport, and the heat almost knocked me over. What a difference in heat.

While in Florida, even though my friend is quite a bit younger (they can get their senior discounts next year), they are looking forward to getting senior discouts like us, and can hardly wait. I thought I would be embarrassed :rolleyes: to ask for the discounts in front of them, but I wasn't. When they said they were looking fowward to getting theirs, that even made me feel better.:)

Hopefully everyone is having a great summer, and if anyone knows of any type of "senior discounts" you can get on some of these islands, would you please let me know?

brneyes

Welcome home! I'm afraid all of us are getting the heat wave (not just the females over 55). We are escaping soon for a cruise to the Arctic Circle. Getting really excited planning for each port and thinking about packing sweaters. Temps look to be around 60-70 degrees but of course I thought it would be cold when we went to the Arctic Circle from Fairbanks and it turned out to be 89 as we stepped across that marker. Will be planning to layer clothing.

Smiles!

Will be 55 in August (youch) and husband is 55 now. I would like to see different activities besides the Honeymoon game, the hairy man contest (CANT STAND THAT NOW) and most of the repeating games. Would like to see some education information on some of the ports (besides shopping-which we know they promote certain shops). Maybe some other different things to do or see.

I just had a thought--just in case anyone is listening from the cruise companies, what about supplying some ipod walking tours? We did one through an excursion company in Barcelona and it was very nice. It would be great to be able to pick one up on the ship and have directions from either the pier or the shuttle drop off point. They could be returned onboard or at the terminal and if they weren't, then the charge could be made to the passenger's account. For those ports where you can see a lot by walking we'd choose that over a bus any day.

First to those of you who are on/or getting ready to cruise, have a wonderful time, and hopefully you will have a good report.

I'm starting another week, STILL trying to "catch up" with all my emails that I had left over from my vacation in Florida. Actually it hasn't rained as yet here in Kansas City, but they said it is to rain on the 4th of July:mad:, which will be bad for us, as we have a big picnic with all the family/friends, and do fireworks display (all out in the country), while everyone sits around in the evening watching.

If I'm not back anymore before the 4th, everyone have a great/safe 4th of July.

brneyes

First to those of you who are on/or getting ready to cruise, have a wonderful time, and hopefully you will have a good report.

I'm starting another week, STILL trying to "catch up" with all my emails that I had left over from my vacation in Florida. Actually it hasn't rained as yet here in Kansas City, but they said it is to rain on the 4th of July:mad:, which will be bad for us, as we have a big picnic with all the family/friends, and do fireworks display (all out in the country), while everyone sits around in the evening watching.

If I'm not back anymore before the 4th, everyone have a great/safe 4th of July.

brneyes

The vision in my head of [your 4th of July outing] is a movie or a musical.....maybe something by Rogers & Hammerstein (talk about dated!) Don't stop me, I'm daydreaming!

Yes, "Classics" and "day dreaming" will never go out of style. Also "memories.":) I'm banking on my "good" :) memories and "pictures" which I have hundreds, and hundreds of to last me a "lifetime", hopefully.

In fact when I came home from work the other day, my children and grandchildren were looking at "slides" of me in my "go-go boots." :o Oh my, does that "date" me, but it was fun at the time, and I'm STILL having fun at my age.

Remember, we may be seniors, or called that, but we only live life once, so let's make the best of it while we can. As a younger friend told me, "Life is too short", "Make the best of it while you can."

brneyes

I turned 60 about a month ago, which means I turned 55, five years ago, and I joined AARP ten years ago, and I dropped them three years ago.

The point of all that is to say that we really don't know when the heck we are really a "senior" citizen. Some restaurants say 55, and others say 62. Some airlines say this and other say that and I didn't find anything special on the cruises for being over 55.

I'm not complaining. Not at all. I don't expect anything just for making it to 55 or for any other milestone of age....well, except one. I've always said anyone who gets to 100 shouldn't have to pay any State or Federal income tax. But getting back to it, I would just want some consistancy. We "older" folks like that don't we. :D

Well now that I've found this forum, I'll have to stop by to keep up.

Bravo, richard. I've been on many cruises and i couldn't do that when i had children at home. Called seniors or not,i couldn't care less what they call it, i'm just glad i'm able to travel and do the things i want to. Rossia

i find it interesting . . . When i'm on celebrity or holland america 70% of the ship is 55+ . . . Yet this board has no action. Does that mean 70% of cruisecritic members are under 55? I doubt it!

I readily admit that whether we are "55" or "95" none of us are "seniors" . . . Maybe if they dropped that. What's wrong with being 55+ . . . Especially when you consider the alternative!

Let me make a point that i make in one of my on board lectures . . . As i see it life divides into three parts:

under 30 - i know these guys think they know it all, but really they are just figuring out which end is up

next 30 years - responsibility . . . And being more candid, "indentured servitude" to the mortgage, the family, the career, the company, the kids

last 30 - your time - to enjoy, to travel, to explore, to do what you've always wanted to do but never had the time to do - if you've always wanted to try skydiving and don't do it now, when are you going to do it? If you wanted to see new zealand or take the world cruise . . . Now is the time!

The last holland america ship i was on i met two guys in their 90's - alert, in love, and having fun. The one guy was 95, and i swear (well, not much), if i am like that at 85, i'll be very happy.

So, jump in . . . Let's get some action on the 55+ board . . . And maybe the moderator will drop the semi-offensive "senior" tag.

Regards, richard

• 4 weeks later...

I just "discovered" that I had put this email aside and completely forgot to read it. I MUST stay on top of things.:)

I do have a question, and I don't know if any of you who have cruised have attended this, but I thought I would ask. I understand some of the cruise ships have "tea time." What is this? Is it worth attending, and what ships do this?

brneyes

I just "discovered" that I had put this email aside and completely forgot to read it. I MUST stay on top of things.:)

I do have a question, and I don't know if any of you who have cruised have attended this, but I thought I would ask. I understand some of the cruise ships have "tea time." What is this? Is it worth attending, and what ships do this?

brneyes

All Princess and Hal ships have a regular time for: tea/coffee/little sandwiches/cookies/cakes/scones/cream/jelly. There is either a harpist/pianist or piped in lovely music.

It's usually around 3:00 or 3:30, everyday-there is no dress code and, we wouldn't miss it! It's a great way to break-up the day and have an afternoon snack.

I do believe the other major cruiselines have it, as well, I'm not sure.

brneyes

Tea time wasn't worth attending on MSC Lirica for anyone who enjoys the high tea experience.

We love tea time on Princess. I often tell the story of the first time I wanted to go and DH said the correct thing that he would join me but gave me that look that said, "but don't expect me to go a second time as I'm only doing this to be nice". He absolutely loved it. DH rarely ever drinks a cup of tea at home but I always laugh when he always drinks tea, and often two cups when at tea time on the ship. There is nothing special about the tea itself, but I guess it just works for him there. He really enjoys the scones and pastries. On our last cruise he even went alone one day when I really wasn't hungry and decided it was a good time to do laundry. I don't think he's had another cup of tea since our cruise last February but I have no doubt he'll be drinking it again on our next cruise. :)

Archived