Maybe it's the title "Senior"

Richard in Panama

We try to do a tea time once a cruise. The problem is not that the tea time is not great-- just too close to early dinner, too near late lunch after shore excursion and in the middle of my "pool time". I am really failing at keeping the constant eating contract -- BUT I do try so hard:p

Definitely Queen Mary 2 and Princess are my favorite teas. British influence maybe.

Bravo, richard. I've been on many cruises and i couldn't do that when i had children at home. Called seniors or not,i couldn't care less what they call it, i'm just glad i'm able to travel and do the things i want to. Rossia

Being a "senior" (62) has gotten me some neat discounts, including the rate on our upcoming cruise. :D

We try to do a tea time once a cruise. The problem is not that the tea time is not great-- just too close to early dinner, too near late lunch after shore excursion and in the middle of my "pool time". I am really failing at keeping the constant eating contract -- BUT I do try so hard:p

Definitely Queen Mary 2 and Princess are my favorite teas. British influence maybe.

Unfortunately I managed to hold up the eating contract on this last B2B cruise of 24 days. I have seven pounds to lose somewhere before the next one. Of course if I could lose 14 that would give me some expansion room. :D

I listen to "some" talk radio while going to/from work.

Someone had mentioned on this website of what "age" (number):rolleyes:is the senior called? That's a good question. Last night someone had called in, talking about the "discounts" for "seniors." Back in the 40's, they called people seniors at the age of 80 or 90. In the 60's they call seniors at the age of 70, now that I'm over 60 (actually 66) I be CALLED a senior at 50, 52, 55, 62, 65 or whatever, depending upon what company it is. Isn't it amazing that they are making the "senior" age YOUNGER.:) That's OK with me. Moooooooooore discounts.:)

brneyes

I do have a question, and I don't know if any of you who have cruised have attended this, but I thought I would ask. I understand some of the cruise ships have "tea time." What is this? Is it worth attending, and what ships do this?

brneyes

Carnival also has a "tea time" on sea days, usually around 3 or 3:30 and lasts around 1 hour. Servers offer a choice of 7-8 teas, small sandwiches, sweets, etc. Usually have a string group and/or piano. Completely casual dress, drop in type affair. DW and I have been on each ship. Nice break in routine, not crowded, and very relaxing.

P&O ships have a special tea time. We were on Aurora when a large-ish dining companion said she was cutting down the food on this cruise. All eyes looked at her piled-up plate. "Yes", she said, "I've cut out tea time and midnight buffets." :D-jocap.

P&O ships have a special tea time. We were on Aurora when a large-ish dining companion said she was cutting down the food on this cruise. All eyes looked at her piled-up plate. "Yes", she said, "I've cut out tea time and midnight buffets." :D-jocap.

LOL:rolleyes:, the more things change, the more they stay the same for some.

To be honest I rarely access the 55+ forum as I don't know how much I have in common with other cruisers 55 and up. I am 55, but I have a 13-year-old son (I started really, really late). He's my cruising buddy. As for retirement, I won't retire until I'm 62 at the absolute earliest. And probably not then because my son will be entering college! O.K., I'll be working until I'm 80. ;)

I DO like the discounts though! I don't mind that part at all.

Hi, I too had over-looked this posting, as sometimes I don't feel Senior {60}and I am reluctant to always ask about a discount. Can be 55, 60 or 65, but most kids have no problem believing me for food purchases..As to retirement, I will feel the need to work, until I completely break down physically.I love to Cruise, and enjoy the food and the scenery so there's a reason to keep a job, besides the insurance..jy.

I guess it is all to do with how you feel about being called a Senior.

In Australia, many older people, who travel north in the winter or around Australia in their caravans/motorhomes, are referred to as grey nomads. People are pleased to be known as grey nomads, as it means they are living the dream, after a lifetime of work.

Most don't work, but some do volunteer work or seasonal work, like fruit picking, to stretch their savings/pensions.

Baby Boomers is another common title for those born after WWII.

Like Grey Nomads and Baby Boomers, we should be proud at being Seniors, who are a growing segment in the cruise industry.

Jocap, that was funny :) when you mentioned about the "large" lady saying she was cutting out the buffet/tea time, but "piling" the food on where she was. I see that quite often when I'm out eating.

Chrislynnet, you said you were 55 with a child 13, I understand where your coming from. I am (I have stated this before) 66, but most people think I am around 60. Anyway I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I had my twins very early in life, and then 11 years later, I had another son. "My three sons." It was like having two families, but actually I think that is what keeps me staying young. :) As I've said before, we are ONLY as old or young as we feel. Sometimes I feel 80, other times I feel 16.:rolleyes:

Happy Monday to everyone!

brneyes

Just turned 60 and you can call me anything you like - senior, pops, old guy, etc. But I can still play with the best of them. Just like many of you if the title 'senior' results in a discount then I am Mr. Senior!!!

Took a 13-day cruise in April and we spent the day at Crane Beach in Barbados. My 65 year old friend and I out body-surfed many of the youngsters there and we didn't use a boogey board. Even a 51 year old master diver who was with us commented on how many waves we rode in. In St Kitts the three of us snorkled a good 1/2 mile up the coast to where the Atlantic & Caribbean waters met. I must say it was a little scarey trying to get back but our master diver friend helped up navigate the currents that were trying to drag us further out.

Yeah, I'm a senior by age but my heart says I'm much younger. As long as my body holds out I'll continue to run with the best of them.

Enjoy,

headusher

Hey everyone! I know we've talked about tea times on ships how about telling what favorite food you had on a ship and where. I am sitting here dreaming of the tasty french fried onion rings we enjoyed at the grill onboard the Century a few weeks ago. But my all time favorite was at the Todd English restaurant onboard the QM2--dessert. The Fallen Chocolate Cake--a round little chocolate cake with molten chocolate inside. But then there's also the chocolate fondue at the Tuscan Grill on the Solstice. I mmmm-ed with every bite. Guess I need to get a chocolate fix now.

Smiles,

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
Hello from Arizona, Richard,

What would you prefer they call those of us who are over 55? :)

Jackie (retired teacher)

I don't care what they call us, as long as we keep getting those discounts!

Among other things, I'm a Baby Boomer.

They can call me anything they want if the discount is good enough;-) I enjoy River Cruises which can be pricey when you're on your own. I have stayed with Viking because they have a number of ships with single cabins that help keep the cost down (I think!). I also go for the early booking discounts as much as I can. Booking early is essential as these cabins seem to sell quickly. I'm booked on the European Odessey for next year and will be doing it solo.

Had a strange thing happen the other day. Was handed my summary of my doctor's office visit and I glanced at the corner box that had my age. 62! I almost handed it back. I thought I had someone else's paper. For a moment I forgot I was that old. A "senior" moment?

No, that's called selective memory !:D

My Dad that will turn 98 in two weeks occasionally forgets where he's put something. He was concerned a few weeks ago that he was loosing his memory. I assured him that he was just fine. I told him that after all, with all the information that he has stored in his memory over the years his mind capacity has to be pretty well filled at this point so its not a matter of "loosing his mind" just having a "full mind" without a lot of empty space to place a lot of new information.:D:)

No, that's called selective memory !:D

My Dad that will turn 98 in two weeks occasionally forgets where he's put something. He was concerned a few weeks ago that he was loosing his memory. I assured him that he was just fine. I told him that after all, with all the information that he has stored in his memory over the years his mind capacity has to be pretty well filled at this point so its not a matter of "loosing his mind" just having a "full mind" without a lot of empty space to place a lot of new information.:D:)

Love your philosophy, grandmato4. I've had that same thought too. After all when a computer's memory banks are full it slows down. Just wish I could find a few more memory cards for the brain.

I agree with both of you. I used to have so called "senior moments". No more of those, now I just call it "data overload.":D

I say no matter what you call us "Seniors", just "call us," and "don't" forget we are just as "important" as the younger generation. The younger generation could LEARN a lot from us, if they just "ask."

Everyone have a GREAT Friday and weekend.:)

brneyes

Archived