Bus system question & opinion requested

gram4haley

I will be in Bermuda in September we dock at St. George.

(1) I plan to use the ferry and bus system. When the bus system says it goes to St. George, is it one stop in St. George or multiple? (2) We want to go to Alexander Battery Park to look for sea glass. If walking, how much time will it take? Is it an easy walk? (3) I have been in several aquariums-Boston and Baltimore- and enjoyed both. Should the Bermuda aquarium be on my "must see" list or my "if you have seen one, you have seem them all" list.

(4) Are there any attractions/activities/landscapes that are not in the tour books, but really should not be missed in Bermuda? If so, details please.

Thank you.

I will be in Bermuda in September we dock at St. George.

(1) I plan to use the ferry and bus system. When the bus system says it goes to St. George, is it one stop in St. George or multiple? (2) We want to go to Alexander Battery Park to look for sea glass. If walking, how much time will it take? Is it an easy walk? (3) I have been in several aquariums-Boston and Baltimore- and enjoyed both. Should the Bermuda aquarium be on my "must see" list or my "if you have seen one, you have seem them all" list.

(4) Are there any attractions/activities/landscapes that are not in the tour books, but really should not be missed in Bermuda? If so, details please.

Thank you.

St. George is small. Pretty much everyone goes to the same stop near the town square. The Bermuda Aquarium is nothing like the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It is tiny, a few tanks, and it is not a must see in my opinion. There is also the zoo there which is also not a must see in my opinion. Bermudians think both are great, possibly because they have never been to a major zoo or aquarium in the USA. In hindsight I would have skipped those.

I'm only aware of the one bus stop in St. George. It's next to the liquor store on the main road.

Alexander Battery Park is probably a 25 minute or so walk from the pier...just past Gates Fort.

I don't know of any secrets, but do pop into Somers Garden on your way to (or from) glass hunting. The garden is lovely with a Moongate (great photo op) and beautiful flowers.

A month or so ago I read that someone said you can probably buy them on the ship. I'm hoping that is so because I don't want to stand in a line with 1400 other friendly passengers!

We've always bought ours on land but I do know that on the ships we were on, they sometimes ran out so maybe you might want to buy it right away.

We just returned from Bermuda this week, definately go to Palm Grove Gardens. It is a really neat place. This is privately owned property, but M-Thurs until 5:00 it is open to the public. In the front, they have a lovely moongate covered with ivy, in the back of the property, they have a really cool pond, that in the middle of it has the ''outline'' of Bermuda in it. Really neat!

We also did the aquarium and zoo, it was ok, but not like some of the zoos I have been to. Knowing now, we probably would have skipped it, but hey, it was on our ''list''..

Have fun.

It is on South Road near Brighton Hill Road--from the bus schedule I am looking at it is in Zone 5 on Bus Route 1. It is located right beside Arial Sands Resort. It was really nice.

We have not downloaded our pictures yet--when I do I will post some.

Theres more than one bus stop in St. George's. Theres one across from Sommers Garden. Then up the road there are others. But all the cruisers go to the one by the liquior store. REMEMBER THIS PINK POLES INBOUND TO HAMILTON. BLUE POLES OUTBOUND AWAY FROM HAMILTON. And yes the poles are bus stops.

The information on the bus routes is great...another question though....we are docking at Kings Wharf...can we purchase a 3 day bus/ferry pass off the ship and what is the approx. cost? Is that the best mode of transportation on the island? Thanks for the help!

The information on the bus routes is great...another question though....we are docking at Kings Wharf...can we purchase a 3 day bus/ferry pass off the ship and what is the approx. cost? Is that the best mode of transportation on the island? Thanks for the help!

There is a hut near where the ship docks that sells the passes. The cost for the 3 day pass is $28, children under 5 free. You get unlimited use of the buses and ferries. It is the most cost effective way to get to multiple destinations.

From the dockyard there is also a special bus that runs directly to Horseshoe Bay.

At the bus stops, there is a pole that is either pink or blue. If pink, the bus is going to Hamilton. If blue, the bus is going away from Hamilton.

Archived