Swollen ankles and feet, please help...

momarb

When I fly for more than a few hours to get to a cruise my feet and ankles swell up. On my last cruise I ended up wearing slippers most of the time since I couldn't wear other shoes because of the swelling. I have ordered some compression stockings to wear to see if they will help cut down the swelling. Does anyone know what else would help me if I do swell on the next flight? Is there something available in pill form over the counter that I could take to make this go away? I appreciate any help that you can send my way.

When I fly for more than a few hours to get to a cruise my feet and ankles swell up. On my last cruise I ended up wearing slippers most of the time since I couldn't wear other shoes because of the swelling. I have ordered some compression stockings to wear to see if they will help cut down the swelling. Does anyone know what else would help me if I do swell on the next flight? Is there something available in pill form over the counter that I could take to make this go away? I appreciate any help that you can send my way.

Same thing happens to me! :eek: I think it's related to the pressurized cabin when you fly. I'll be anxious to see what kind of responses you get. My only tip is to make sure you drink a lot of water.

I have this problem whenever and however I travel. I do have compression hose that I wear during the flight (or long drive) and with eveningwear on the ship, but I've found that drinking lots and lots of water really is the best answer. I don't like to drink a lot when we're on shore, for obvious reasons, but on the ship I drink water link a fiend.

I don't know of anything you can take but the compression stockings should help. I have problems with one leg swelling up all the time because my lymph nods were removed. But when I wear the compression stocking it takes the swelling down. I have them in 20 to 30 compression, needed a doctor's script to get them in that compression though. I don't know how good something less would work. Maybe someone else can tell you of something you can take but I just wanted to let you know the stockings work for me.

it also may be from the food on the plane(they over salt the food since the higher you gom the less you can taste it so they over do it)...try bringing your own food and also stay away from the ship's water which has some residual salt....

Definitely wear the stockings--that's the best thing for swelling--it keeps the blood from pooling in your lower legs. You probably have a circulation problem--you should check that out!

And keep your legs moving on the plane! Contract the muscles! Never cross your legs or let them get compressed against the seat. Stand whenever possible!! (Aisle seat!)

As far as the food on the plane--WHAT FOOD??????

I have the same problem with my left ankle which I broke about 15 years ago. Ever since that time I swell when traveling. When we fly to Europe I always wear the compression stockings. For some reason I never remember to wear them on shorter flights. I think I'll take them on my next cruise and wear them at night; maybe that will keep the swelling down. Luckily the flight to FLL for our TA will only be a couple of hours.

I have the same problem and spoke to my orthopod and he said it was from flying and from eating foods you're not used to eating at home with the increased sodium. I know I don't use much salt at home, but I do tend to eat food on the ship that contains more sodium. Alcohol is also a contributing factor, especially wine. So my doc told me to wear compression stockings, which I do, and to drink less soda, wine and stick to things that are decaffenated. I also use a soothing gel from Elemis that contains eucalyptis. It does reduce the swelling.

If you take any medications, check if they should be discontinued for 3 days or more before traveling long distances. Before our looong flight to Sydney last Jan. I happened to look at the circular that came with my osteoporosis preventation med, Evista. It said to discontinue taking it 3 days before a long flight. I don't know what made me check it again, as I've been taking it for years with no problems. I should have had my DH check his meds, too. He takes Actos, which lists swelling as one of the common side effects. (I found out later).

Just before the flight, while looking for regular socks, I saw over-the-knee compression socks (the package had an airplane on the label) and bought some for both of us. They worked well and we wore them on both long flights. We still had some swelling, but not as bad as it might have been with no compression.

I have a similar problem. I am fine the first couple days of the cruise and by the 3rd day my ankles & feet start to swell and stay that way for the rest of the cruise. I am miserable and it limits which shoes I can wear. I don't know if it is from eating food I am not used to, walking alot, or whatever. I thought I was the only one.

This issue has come up before on these boards.

Go see you doctor before you fly again.

This is not something to be taken lighlty.

I will second that...it could just be a little swelling or it could be the sign of a potentially life threatening condition called deep vein thrombosis

If you take any medications, check if they should be discontinued for 3 days or more before traveling long distances. Before our looong flight to Sydney last Jan. I happened to look at the circular that came with my osteoporosis preventation med, Evista. It said to discontinue taking it 3 days before a long flight. I don't know what made me check it again, as I've been taking it for years with no problems. I should have had my DH check his meds, too. He takes Actos, which lists swelling as one of the common side effects. (I found out later).

Just before the flight, while looking for regular socks, I saw over-the-knee compression socks (the package had an airplane on the label) and bought some for both of us. They worked well and we wore them on both long flights. We still had some swelling, but not as bad as it might have been with no compression.

it is a bad idea to stop ANY medication without first checking with your health care provider. Some of the posted/listed side effect information just isn't accurate, and some medications can have serious withdrawal/rebound side effects if you stop them for even a few days. JMHO

I will second that...it could just be a little swelling or it could be the sign of a potentially life threatening condition called deep vein thrombosis

it is a bad idea to stop ANY medication without first checking with your health care provider. Some of the posted/listed side effect information just isn't accurate, and some medications can have serious withdrawal/rebound side effects if you stop them for even a few days. JMHO

Actually, this is some sound advice. Not a JMHO statement :D

My feet swell up almost every time I cruise. I put my feet up and wrap them in a towel filled with ice and the swelling goes down some.

Or you can get a prescription for diuretics from your Doctor and they work great.

I had to get some from the ships doctor the first time I ever went on a cruise, I couldn't get my shoes on.

The medication I stopped, Evista, wasn't for a serious medical condition. I would have checked with the dr. for any of those. It was for osteoporosis PREVENTION. The dr said it was OK when I told her later.

Every time we travel anywhere my feet and ankles swell! Since I don't use salt at home it really hits me when we travel.

I'd suggest that you check with your doctor. As was said before, there are some diuretics that will really help! Personally, I take Furosemide, a generic Lasix. I take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon and haven't had trouble with swelling since :) . It's a good idea to eat a banana every day if you're taking a diuretic since you can lose potassium.

You should try this before you travel as some of us need to be close to a ladies room after taking a diuretic:eek: !

Definitely wear the stockings--that's the best thing for swelling--it keeps the blood from pooling in your lower legs. You probably have a circulation problem--you should check that out!

And keep your legs moving on the plane! Contract the muscles! Never cross your legs or let them get compressed against the seat.

I agree with the above. I get my stockings from a medical supply store. Even that didn't help all that much, and then I read the following tip: Lie on your back with your leg in the air for a few seconds before bringing it down to put the stocking on. It really helped me and I hope it helps you too!

Vada

Compression hosiery is available for both men and women at FootSmart for a lot less than that at the medical supply stores. They hve light, medium and heavy compression. The knee-high socks for men come in several colors and the stockings come in knee-high or thigh-high. The thigh-highs really do stay up. You really do have to put those down while lying on your back with your leg up in the air. :eek: I also have a couple of pairs of the TEDS that I was wearing when I woke up from a couple of surgeries. If I find I'm having a lot of swelling I'll wear those to bed. I also wear them on flights of longer than a couple of hours. A couple of deaths from DVT of tourists arriving from Europe make the news here every year. Plus, swollen ankles aren't very attractive . . .;)

I had the same problem on cruises, and so does my mom. We find that taking a diuretic works great and pretty well eliminates the problem. My mom's feet were so bad she could not wear any shoes but with the diuretic the swelling left. You can get a prescription for a diuretic from your doctor and also for a potassium pill to take with it or you can also buy over the counter diuretics and potassium pills. Look for the diuretic in the aisle where there are diet pills, etc. Diurex Water Pills work well and you can find potassium pills in the vitamin aisle. Hope this helps! Happy cruising! :)

Pam

I had the same problem on cruises, and so does my mom. We find that taking a diuretic works great and pretty well eliminates the problem. My mom's feet were so bad she could not wear any shoes but with the diuretic the swelling left. You can get a prescription for a diuretic from your doctor and also for a potassium pill to take with it or you can also buy over the counter diuretics and potassium pills. Look for the diuretic in the aisle where there are diet pills, etc. Diurex Water Pills work well and you can find potassium pills in the vitamin aisle. Hope this helps! Happy cruising! :)

Pam

I think a diiuretic is great, but not all of us can take them. They all contain a small quantity of Sulfa, and I'm allergic to that drug. I don't know why doctors don't mention that, because there are many folks allergic to Sulfa drugs. :confused:

Vada

I think a diiuretic is great, but not all of us can take them. They all contain a small quantity of Sulfa, and I'm allergic to that drug. I don't know why doctors don't mention that, because there are many folks allergic to Sulfa drugs. :confused:

Vada

I did not know that. The things you can learn while 'cruising' these boards are amazing! My BIL almost died from an allergic reaction to a sulfa he took for an infection. He literally turned purple. Very scary.

I take a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide) and a potassim supplement (which are both about $4 at WalMart/CostCo etc. and are prescribed by my doctor). I also wear heavy duty compession stockings when I fly. I have fat, ugly ankles to begin with so I definitely want to keep them from getting swollen when I cruise! Those things work for me.

We're going the long way around to start in Auckland for our next cruise. About 30 hours of flying. (We have to go through Seoul.) I'm going to be very interested to see if the HCTZ and stockings keep the swelling down for that long.

Robin

Try taking potassium. Also, get plenty of exercise...walking and biking are good to keep the circulation going. Try to keep your legs moving as much as possible, and get up and walk a bit during flight.

Once you get on the ship...use the pool to get some low-impact exercise, and the hot tub to improve circulation.

Years ago, my feet swelled on a flight from San Francisco to Telviv mostly because I did not get up and walk around during the flight. I learned my lesson. I always walk during long flights now.

I also travel with shoes a 1/2 size large which helps a lot too (at least for walking shoes).

I watch salt intake.

I drink a lot of fluids - more fluids in more fluids out.

Archived