Class act without being stuffy?

MV21

I’ve cruised before on Princess and we are thinking of ‘upgrading’ to Seabourn.

However, we like Princess and on their board at the moment there is a thread running about "What do you like about Princess?" A number of the response I could connect with such as: Anytime Dining; Freshwater pools; Pools open 24/7; and a comment that summed it up for me, "They are a class act without being stuffy".

How does Seabourn compare – Thanks

Richard

MV21,

Comparing Princess to Seabourn is like comparing apples to oranges.

Seabourn is truly a class act and definately not stuffy.

All cabins are suites, dining is open seating and gourmet. Seabourn is all-inclusive including liquor and a no tipping policy. Seabourn has an almost 1:1 crew to passenger ratio(208 guest/196 crew) so the service is second to none. So if you want to try a smaller more laid back luxurious ship with spectacular service Seabourn is the way to go.

Hope you join us sometime if you feel it is right for you.

Check out the Seabourn website at www.seabourn.com

mcboo:):):)

It should also be pointed out that Seabourn cruises, at least for the most part, are enjoyed best by well-traveled individuals who find more entertainment in themselves and fellow passengers rather than those who prefer constant, structured entertainment and activities emphasized on the larger, "mass-market" lines. There are shows and performances and such, but you will find these events to be, in my opinion, more creative and sophisticated rather than flashy and glitzy.

Scamper,

Well said. Don't know what I will do if Seabourn starts a bingo game every 1/2 hour and waiters walk around trying to sell me $12.00 cocktails with umbrellas and I get to keep the souvenir glass.Yuck

mcboo

Comparing Seabourn and Princess is so ludicrous that one cannot even contemplate a response! McBoo, you have given me nightmares even suggesting such atrocities! Erase those thoughts from your subconscious! Every true cruiser must consider cruising with all of us on the

finest of cruiselines--the Seabourn Way--the ONLY WAY! There is, truly,

nothing else like it in the cruise world--sorry to share the secret, Seabournites! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams to all!

Every cruise line can and has to be compared to all the others! We are not all the same and do not all like the same things! The only real way to compare is to sail the cruise line yourselves and then you will be able to make the comparison. Everyone else will have their own views which will be biased in different ways. We have now done more than 20 cruises with Seabourn which in itself says something, but amongst those 20 we have had a couple of bad ones when everything went wrong, if these had been someones first Seabourn cruise they would now be saying Seabourn are pretty average. If they had done one of the others they would now be saying Seabourn are FANTASTIC. We have also done back to back cruises where the 2 cruises were like chalk and cheese, same ship same crew different passengers.

The only thing to say about anything in this world is "you get what you pay for".

Daneite

Daniete, I agree with you. In so many ways, the PASSENGER mix can make or break a cruise, no matter what line you are on. In regard to the first post "stuffy" or not, I have sailed Princess a couple times, and can honestly say that I have encountered more stuffy people on that line than on Seabourn.

CruiserDan

On the "Yacht's", we Seabournites have LOTS of FUN! There are indeed fabulous shows as Eric, Jan Stearman, David E. Greene,and Mark are just the BEST on the high seas.......but we also hosts many great, wonderful parties! The "stuffed animal" party is a real hoot! I always host a Gala on the Pride Crossings........either "Texas Fling Ding's", "All Stars Hall of Famers" gala........this March I'm hosting, "A Royal Affair" (we're all going as a ROYAL.......very black tie!!) It is going to be a scream! We are wearing formal dress sashes, crowns, tiara's, etc., etc.! I know of 23 in "our gang!" Plus, "King of Norway Captain, Prince Staff Captain, etc., etc......." we are all excited and I just keep planning the details! I just ordered the party favors.......hope the gift will "knock their socks off!" hahaha Then many host fun birthday parties and I usually have a "Caviar/Champagne Pajama Social" in my suite.......the photographer always comes! We have a grrrrreat time!

We wouldn't know "stuffy" from the "bar ditch!"........when our crazy gang is on board, the Officer's, staff and crew never know just what's gonna happen next! They have a swell time, as well, and are always invited!

'lest we forget, "La dolce vita!"

Martita B.

• 4 weeks later...

we have done norwegian, back in 1992 and have since done silverseas, sea dream and seabourn, several times..

I agree with comparisons to carnival.I might add that we know several well heeled, sophisticated, and fun people who have gone on carnival when they were looking for a quick family cruise where the kids would have something to so it is fine for that, although going up a notch on the radisson and crystal for families is a big notch.

sea dream was great for a more intimate(only 100 passengers) for small,lovely Caribbean jaunts, again without kids.

they "say" seabourn is kid friendly but we take seabourn to get away from that.

i am a convert to seabourn and with the exception of sea dream when i have a quick week to stay within a 4 hr plane ride from phoenix, it's only seabourn for me.

I think one of the reasons Seabourn is not STUFFY is because there are so few people so you are more inclined to meet more people over a shorter period of time than on a "traditional" cruise where the only people you meet are your tablemates. And of course on Seabourn your only table mates are the ones that you choose and after a few days even those of us that really like to dine solo with our sweeties readily encourage and accept dining companions. It is not snobby -- no one ever puts on airs except those few really insecure few.

Hobar - re kid-friendly Seabourn. I would say Seabourn is not 'kid-hostile' but I would not describe it as 'kid-friendly'. There are no children's programs, for example, and the menu is definitely adult-oriented ! On my Panama Canal cruise, there were two children and, while they were beautifully behaved and got a lot of petting from other passengers and staff, it was was clear that this was not the kind of holiday they had in mind. Nor had their parents expected to be 'on duty' the whole cruise. Bottom line, I think there are probably other more appropriate choices for family travel.

We just returned from a 13 day Seaborn Pride trip down the eastcoast. We will be putting together a longer reiview soon, but meanwhile. We did eat with and meet MANY people. Lots of great folks which is somewhat a result of how the ship is run. I would STRONGLY suggest against taking kids on anything other than MAYBE a short trip, but the more I think about it, I would not suggest anyone under 20, maybe even 30. The crowd is older. Just the way it is. Stuffy - for the most part, no. There were a few that thought that had all the answers, but the group as a whole were wonderful. Because of the setup, people get to know each other and blend together.

Gary

Gary,

Looking forward to your longer review of the Pride. We are "virgin" Seabourners who will be sailing on November 14th. This board has been very helpful in what to expect but would love to read your review...

The makeup of a shipful on Seabourn has a lot to do with when/where you sail, too. The 13-day US coastal cruise in late October, for instance, will self-select to a different makeup than whom you'd likely find on 7-days on the Riviera in July, or 14 days in Vietnam in February. By that I mean the average, or tendency of the folks on board--it goes without saying that everybody on Seabourn is exceptional, don't you find?

bgood

Archived