White Pass Scenic Railway

melika091900

we booked this in skagway and I just heard from a few people I know that have been to alaska that this is boring ? they say its long,, etc etc..

i realize its 3 hrs,,

any thoughts ?

we are taking our 7 year old ,, is she going to be bored ?

thanks in advance,

melissa

We are doing this excursion with our 3 kids...we elected to go with the shorter Chilkoot Charters options as we thought this would offer a bit more variety than simply taking the train up and back again. The shorter tour will also allow us to fit in a few other activities in Skagway as well. Personally, I have seen many positive reviews of this and even the longer tour options...but we all have different likes and dislikes.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/summitrail.htm

we booked this in skagway and I just heard from a few people I know that have been to alaska that this is boring ? they say its long,, etc etc..

It's one of the Top 10 rail attractions on earth and has been the top-selling cruise excursion in Alaska for most of the last century, so the people you know are in the minority. I've been on it perhaps 15 times, and will go again this year - though not the short 3-hour one.

I've been on it several times as well, it's a wonderful trip, loaded with scenery and history. :) A true delight for any rail fan. It isn't for everyone, certainly, you need to decide what the interests of your group are?? I would also split up if needed. No point in taking someone on this who isn't interested.

If you feel that your daughter may get bored, perhaps you could do some kind of rail/bus tour. We will be doing the White Pass Railway and gold dredging combo. I believe that a bus will take us to pan for gold first and then we will take the train back down.

Sorry, I can't tell you whether your daughter would be bored or not. Actually, I doubt whether anyone who doesn't know your daughter could answer that question. We (DW and I) took the round trip train ride and really enjoyed it, but we're not kids. There were several children on the train. They weren't complaining and didn't appear to be bored.

i realize its 3 hrs,,

any thoughts ?

thanks in advance,

melissa

Melissa,

WE are going with our kids also, ages 6 & 4. We decided to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake and stop at the dogs in Carcross. We figured with a car we can stop when we want. My in-laws are doing the railroad. So renting a car may be somthing to consider too.

Michelle

It is a fabulous trip and something that should not be missed. Perhaps you could bring along something that would amuse DD in the event she does become bored. Then you have rest of the day to devote to Skagway.

It's one of the Top 10 rail attractions on earth and has been the top-selling cruise excursion in Alaska for most of the last century, so the people you know are in the minority. I've been on it perhaps 15 times, and will go again this year - though not the short 3-hour one.

We're doing the 3 hour one. (I guess it's 3 hours?? It is scheduled through Princess and times given were 12:40 to 4:15, so I assume some of that is getting to and from the train??) Anyway, I'm wondering which side of the train we should sit on? Also, can and should we change seats for the trip back down? Thanks!! :)

i realize its 3 hrs,,

any thoughts ?

thanks in advance,

melissa

My advice would be to make it a learning experience. Get some age-appropriate books on Alaska and have her learn about the things she's likely to see on the trip... Eagles, other birds, different types of trees, flowers, etc., etc. Then while on the trip she can see if she can spot those things she has been studying. Or... if you ask someone who has been on the trip numerous times to give you a list of 25 items to look for, you could make her a bingo card. She could take a crayon or maybe some stickers and she could mark off each item as she sees it. Make it fun and get her involved. It could be a great learning experience that she'll want to tell her friends about when she goes back to school!!

left side, going up on the round-trip train. if the train is full, on the way down they have you flip over the seats (to face to the other way) and ask people to switch sides.

the train goes fast enough, that to ID a plant or tree would be hard.

if your daughter is the quiet type, she would enjoy looking out the windows. if she is more active, there isn't any place to go. you can't move from one train car to another. the platforms are (usually) full with picture-takers. on our trip, we saw no birds or wildlife.

they give out water, but you need to take your own snacks. on the way up, (over the loud speakers) they are pointing out the sights and telling your about it. on the way down, it's quiet..except for a few announcement or comments.

if they are, still, handing out the local "newspaper", at the docks. get one, it has a lot of gold rush history...much of it will be along the railroad.

Archived