Waterlemon Can we make it?

Aaron792000

We've snorkeled Waterlemon, and the snorkeling was really good, but it's the one time I was actually afraid we'd miss the ship. It's best if you rent a car on St. John if you want to snorkel there - we didn't. We would have had plenty of time, but...

We took the ferry to Cruz Bay, a cab took us over to Waterlemon. They drop you by the Annandale Sugar Plantation. We asked him to come back for us at 2:00, and he said he wouldn't need to, that taxis came by there all the time, and if we didn't see them right there, we should walk about a quarter mile down to the main road and we'd for sure find one there. From where the taxi drops you off it's a long hike to the beach. The beach isn't a sand beach - it's stony, not for lounging around, but that isn't what we were there to do anyway. Very few other people there, and no one from any of the cruise ships. Everyone else who was there had a car, we were the only ones who came by taxi. When we got done snorkeling we hiked back to Annandale, and waited ... and waited ... and waited. We walked over to the road, and waited ... and waited ... and waited. We contemplated asking others leaving the area to give us a lift (there were 3 of us), but no one had room in there car for all of us. We ended up hitchhiking, and got a ride from a young couple in a pick up truck (we sat in the bed). They gave us a lift to Maho Bay, where we caught one of the taxis that wait there back to Cruz Bay, caught the ferry and made it back to Havensight in time to board before they pulled the gang plank.

Also - no facilities, you have to have your own gear (we do, so that wasn't an issue).

It's a great place to snorkel, but I'd recommend either renting a car on St. John or seeing if a day sail operator will make that one of their snorkeling stops for you. If you don't want to do either of those things, we really like Cinammon, as well, and that's easily accessible by taxi, has a sand beach, facilities, and gear rental.

We've snorkeled Waterlemon, and the snorkeling was really good, but it's the one time I was actually afraid we'd miss the ship. It's best if you rent a car on St. John if you want to snorkel there - we didn't. We would have had plenty of time, but...

We took the ferry to Cruz Bay, a cab took us over to Waterlemon. They drop you by the Annandale Sugar Plantation. We asked him to come back for us at 2:00, and he said he wouldn't need to, that taxis came by there all the time, and if we didn't see them right there, we should walk about a quarter mile down to the main road and we'd for sure find one there. From where the taxi drops you off it's a long hike to the beach. The beach isn't a sand beach - it's stony, not for lounging around, but that isn't what we were there to do anyway. Very few other people there, and no one from any of the cruise ships. Everyone else who was there had a car, we were the only ones who came by taxi. When we got done snorkeling we hiked back to Annandale, and waited ... and waited ... and waited. We walked over to the road, and waited ... and waited ... and waited. We contemplated asking others leaving the area to give us a lift (there were 3 of us), but no one had room in there car for all of us. We ended up hitchhiking, and got a ride from a young couple in a pick up truck (we sat in the bed). They gave us a lift to Maho Bay, where we caught one of the taxis that wait there back to Cruz Bay, caught the ferry and made it back to Havensight in time to board before they pulled the gang plank.

Also - no facilities, you have to have your own gear (we do, so that wasn't an issue).

It's a great place to snorkel, but I'd recommend either renting a car on St. John or seeing if a day sail operator will make that one of their snorkeling stops for you. If you don't want to do either of those things, we really like Cinammon, as well, and that's easily accessible by taxi, has a sand beach, facilities, and gear rental.

Thanks for the info. I figured about two hours travel time from ship to beach and that would leave us only 3 hours in the water. I just don't know if its worth it. I'm thinking about about just settling for something closer to cruz bay and doing a land trip to st johns in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea (man, I need to get some work done, but I just got back so really procrastinating! Also, want to help others as many helped me in planning...while everything is still fresh in my mind) is to rent a dinghy through Noah's Ark. You can do half-day and I think they are flexible such that instead of from 9am-1pm can push to 10am-2pm.

To give you an idea of timetable, we docked at 7am, took the 8am ferry to St. John, got the dinghy and we made it out to Waterlemon Cay by 9:30am or so. We stayed there most of the time but later went to Trunk Bay. Left Trunk Bay at 2:30pm, caught the 3pm ferry back to Red Hook, taxi back to Crown Bay by 4:20pm. All aboard was at 5:30pm. I think it is doable to enjoy Waterlemon Cay in a short few hours and the snorkeling is really great (saw stingray's, some folks there saw a turtle but didn't catch that, plenty of fish). Best of luck in planning and have a great time!

If your ship is docked in St. Thomas from 9:00 - 6:00 your actual island time will probably be from approximately 10:00 (may be even later if your ship is coming from a foreign port) until 5:30 (at the latest). To really enjoy Waterlemon, a land-based vacation is best.

If you have your heart set on it, you may want to research dinghy rental or day sails.

Going by ferry and by rental car or cab will be too time-consuming in that you'll spend more time traveling to and from Waterlemon than actually spending time there. :(

I have been to Waterlemon while staying at Maho Bay Camps. Its one of the best snorkeling spots Ive been too. Im an avid snorkeler & diver.

When Ive cruised Im always trying to get back there but find it difficult. It can be done, but its risky and for me, I would be nervous about missing the ship.

I have tried to get a daysail that would commit to sailing to Waterlemon from St Thomas. None will commit. Ive contacted at least 8 to 10 operators. Ive been on daysails from St Thomas to St John before and they all seem to do the same thing day after day, with no deviations, except for when the weather calls for changes. Im not impressed with places they have taken me. Dont get me wrong. Its a nice daysail, but its primarily for beginner snorkelers and not someone like myself.

If anyone knows of a daysail that will go to waterlemon cay, please let me know. I would book it for my next cruise. I havent found one that sails from St Thomas. There are day sails that start in St John and go to waterlemon. The timing on those are not good for cruisers.

As for the dingy, if you have alot of wind & chop on that particular day, going to waterlemon could be one heck of a trip and you may not even make it.

I have been to Waterlemon while staying at Maho Bay Camps. Its one of the best snorkeling spots Ive been too. Im an avid snorkeler & diver.

When Ive cruised Im always trying to get back there but find it difficult. It can be done, but its risky and for me, I would be nervous about missing the ship.

I have tried to get a daysail that would commit to sailing to Waterlemon from St Thomas. None will commit. Ive contacted at least 8 to 10 operators. Ive been on daysails from St Thomas to St John before and they all seem to do the same thing day after day, with no deviations, except for when the weather calls for changes. Im not impressed with places they have taken me. Dont get me wrong. Its a nice daysail, but its primarily for beginner snorkelers and not someone like myself.

If anyone knows of a daysail that will go to waterlemon cay, please let me know. I would book it for my next cruise. I havent found one that sails from St Thomas. There are day sails that start in St John and go to waterlemon. The timing on those are not good for cruisers.

As for the dingy, if you have alot of wind & chop on that particular day, going to waterlemon could be one heck of a trip and you may not even make it.

Pam, from Fantasy Daysail, was the person who originally told me about Waterlemon. We were glad we went, but wouldn't do it again without a car. Too iffy in terms of making it back on time.

I have spent some time trying to make destinations from cruise ships as well. Cruising is nice to show us the places that we would like to spend more time at. We did Trunk Bay and decided that we needed more time on the many beaches in the area. I mention this since you mentioned a land tour instead of cruise possibility. My wife and I kayaked through the BVI for a week. We hit beaches that very few will ever see. Camped on the beach only accessable by boat, snorkled from four to six hours a day in places you will never forget that very few will go to. Check Arawak Adventures. The best trip ever.

Archived