I need an opinion

mafiadon

I am entering a local photo contest about nature and the enviorment. I am not a professional or even that good but I just thought I would like to enter, as I am only allowed to submit one photo I have picked four that I like and was wondering if you could tell me which one is the best. Thanks.

PICT0661.jpg

PICT0213.jpg

PICT0457-3.jpg

PICT0503-2.jpg

Straighten the winter scene a bit and go with it.

The kind of folks that put on Nature/Environment themes love pictures that show mankind's (negative) impact on nature.:D

Besides, I just like it!

ave

I love #3 and I have seen many like this, but I like the jarring contrast of the sign in bright yellow, I think that the sign takes an otherwise surreal looking shot and makes it real, if that makes any sense at all.:D

MAC

I don't know how to straighten out the picture, I don't have any photo programs how would I do this.

Thanks everyone for all the nice things you have said about my pictures.Linda

Go to http://picasa.google.com/index-new2.html

Download Picasa and let it index all of your photos (awsome tool!)

It includes excellent non-destructive re-touching tools including a very easy-to-use straightening tool.

Lots of benefits to using Picasa.

Dave

I like #3 (winter scene as well) but of course I love snow. Your snow is nice and white so that is nice. Did you and some exposure to the picture to make the snow look really white as it is?

No I didn't do anything to the picture, it was so cold that day that everything was covered in a thick frost. The river is behind the barn and there was so much steam coming from the water that you couldn't even see the river. The whole world looked like it was in black & white except for the street sign.

I like picture #3 the best also. Good luck in the photo contest!

One thing I like about it is that it is "clean and simple". In contrast, picture #2 is "too busy" and doesn't seem to have a catching main point to see. Picture #4 is great (if only it didn't have those power lines), but it might not be saying enough about nature. For some reason picture #1 seemed nice, but it just didn't hook me.

These are all just my opinions and I'm not a pro or even great photographer. There are boards that are all about improving your photos and giving critiques. It is interesting to look at them - you'll probably find out that some are more in line with what you think about photos and others are ones you disagree with - it just shows how much diversity there is in the world.

I think that as long as you enjoy your photos, that is what counts!

Let us know how the contest goes...love to hear a "running commentary"!!!

ETA: oh, and afterwards you can photoshop a cruise ship into the white area at the peak of the barn just for fun! :D :D :D

I think that as long as you enjoy your photos, that is what counts!

Sommeliers are asked all the time what the "best" wine is. Honest ones will tell you that it's the one you like!

Same with photos. My idea of a good photo is one that I can look at and get that "I like it" feeling. The photo below is one that breaks several "rules" but the mood is how Alaska felt to me...vast and cold (in a good way!)

large.jpg

The #3 picture does the same thing. It captures a mood and conveys more to me than just seeing the image accounts for.

It's a good photo in my opinion, because I like it! :D

Best of luck in your contest!

Dave

I am entering a local photo contest about nature and the enviorment. I am not a professional or even that good but I just thought I would like to enter, as I am only allowed to submit one photo I have picked four that I like and was wondering if you could tell me which one is the best. Thanks.

PICT0457-3.jpg

All of them are good, but the winter scene is the best! You might consider playing with the sky a bit in photoshop.

All of them are good, but the winter scene is the best! You might consider playing with the sky a bit in photoshop.

That is not the sky, it is steam coming off the river behind the barn. If you will look at the picture of the rainbow that is the same as behind the barn but just down a couple of hundred feet. It was so cold that the air was much colder then the river.

PICT0661.jpg

PICT0213.jpg

PICT0457-3.jpg

PICT0503-2.jpg

Love the winter scene. Wish the <-> sign was not there.

Archived