Hilo activities

ski ninja

Now that VNP has had some shut downs due to the volcano spewing nasty stuff, are there any recommendations of other things to do? We will have a car. We are a very active family and don't mind getting a little dirty if that is what it takes to see a "must see" place. We will be there in a month and are just trying to make plan b for that day. We will also have a 2 1/2 y.o with us.

I would highly recommend getting the book "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed." I bought it at our local Barnes & Noble. In that book there are many activities and tours listed with all kinds of things around Hilo. We went to HVNP, and the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach south of HVNP. We watched the turtles and marveled at the hot black sand. North and east of Hilo there are many natural wonders to see, including botanical gardens, waterfalls, and beaches. The book will give you all kinds of recommendations. After reading the books and following the recommendations, I trust the author like he was my own brother. What they said was a must see was definitely a must see, and a true highlight.

I will also second the Hawai'i Revealed series. You can find it cheaper on the web, or check to see if your local library has the series (there's one for each island). The depth of information is incredible - I found stuff that was new to me and we've been to the island more times than we can count(mostly due to DH growing up there and going home for visits)

I wouldn't worry too much about VNP shutting down again. It's only happened a few times over the years and only when absolutely necessary. Still it never hurts to be prepared.

Have a great trip!

Charlie

Last time on BI our ds7 was 4. He was way too young to walk all the way out on the lava (at the time 2 hours there and 2 hours back) so Mom and I stayed in the car while dh, friend and Dad walked out.

This time Dad wouldn't make it so we're doing the helicopter over VNP.

DS did the helicopter when he was 5 in Kauai and LOVED it.

Archived