Jogging on the lower promenade deck et al

blossiem

We are sailing on the Amsterdam, Rio to Santiago in 2005 and are total newcomers to HAL having mainly been Cunard and PandO. We have lots of questions!

1. Are occupants of cabins on Main deck disturbed by early morning joggers on the lower promenade deck?

2. Does the lido overhang adversely affect the amount of light into suites directly below it?

3. Do they do trivia quizes (group or individual) on HAL ships?

4. If you dock at 8am, what sort of time can you expect to start disembarking?

Many thanks for all your help.

1. No, because jogging is not permitted on the lower promenade deck.

2. Did not seem to.

3. Yes, as I recall.

4. Depends on the port. Have been off the ship by 8:05 in one and as late as 9:45 in another, and in both cases we were in the first or second departure group.

Gary

What a great cruise, I'd love to do that one. As to your questions:

1 - generally jogging is on the sports deck upstairs. The lower prom deck is reserved for walkers (some are fast, but still walking).

2 - I doubt it, but I don't have any direct knowledge.

3 - Trivia is usually in groups once or twice a day. This can be a lot of fun.

4 - If you get in @8, then probably around 8:30 - 9:00 depending on the local authorities. If you are tendering, then there can be lines to get tender tickets (numbered passes to the tenders) unless you are a suite pax, then you get priority tender passes.

Enjoy your trip, keep looking on this board, there is lots of good info to help you have a wonderful and memorable trip.

The Rio to Valparaiso (via Antarctica) cruise was the absolute best cruise I have ever taken! I hope your's is the same. :) :) :)

As far as having a suite under the Lido overhang goes, that might be a very good thing on this particular cruise. There will be parts that are very hot and humid, and you might find the overhang to be a bit of a shelter.

The same is true in the colder parts of this itinerary. It can get pretty stormy way down south. Potentially, there will be a portion of this cruise in rainy, drizzly, cooler weather. The Lido overhang might allow more use of your balcony than you would otherwise have.

When the sun starts to set in the afternoon, and if you happen to be on the sunny side, then you will get sun in the suite.

They have all types of trivia games including musical ones.

When you say - disembarking - do you mean the morning that the ship arrives back in port? If so, usually the disambarking process doesn't bein until 8:30 - 9 AM. We have been on ships when the same passenger names have been called numerous times to report to immigration, front office, customs, etc. And the ship didn't clear for quite a while.

2. We have been in a suite under the Lido overhang. The only problem I had personally with it, is that you have to adjust your picture taking to keep the overhang out of the picture. I can't really complain about these cabins as we are in 045 on the Veendam next year, which is directly below an overhang, but it was the only cabin available at the time of booking.We took the 17 day South America cruise on the Amsterdam and absolutely loved it!! Have a fabulous trip!

Archived