No shorts in dining room/at dinner? HELP!

monkeyrouge

My husband is a bit of a nut case. He wears shorts 365 days a year even though we live up in New England. He owns one pair of pants which goes to his one and only suit which is quite formal. My husband really hates pants and he only wears them when he has to go to a funeral or formal wedding (and to church on occasion). I see that some lines do not allow shorts at dinner, is this just as dinner or is it in the dining rooms in general?

Also what about capris for women? I normally wear dresses and skirts for modesty reasons but I have recently added capris to my wardrobe. I am assuming these are counted as pants and are ok?

I feel silly asking these things but as my ticker says we are planning way in advance :)

For Princess (according to your sig file) right now the rule is no shorts in the dining room for dinner. Which means you could eat in the buffet in shorts if you wish. This only applies to the evenings. Shorts are ok at breakfast and lunch.

I'm not getting into the debate, I'm just posting what Princess states is their dress code:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/bring.jsp

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

Thanks...no debate needed I just wanted to be clear on the rules. At dinner he will just throw on a pair of pants. I just was wondering if he would have to do the same for breakfast and lunch too. It will take us a year and a half just to find him pants he will find acceptable ;) Thank you for your help.

Oh--and capris will be ok for you as well, as long as they are not jeans that are "fraying or with holes" per the dress code. We definitely saw women wearing capris in the dining room when we were on Princess in Alaska last year:D

As for pants he'll find acceptable--what is his main beef with pants? That he's too hot? Or that they're constricting? If you let us know, we could probably come up with some suggestions for him to try out!

Thanks...no debate needed I just wanted to be clear on the rules. At dinner he will just throw on a pair of pants. I just was wondering if he would have to do the same for breakfast and lunch too. It will take us a year and a half just to find him pants he will find acceptable ;) Thank you for your help.

Can't help you find pants your hubby will like, but I do like to say "Hi!" to the greyhound people I find on here!

Cute pup! How many do you have?

My husband is a bit of a nut case. He wears shorts 365 days a year even though we live up in New England. He owns one pair of pants which goes to his one and only suit which is quite formal. My husband really hates pants and he only wears them when he has to go to a funeral or formal wedding (and to church on occasion). I see that some lines do not allow shorts at dinner, is this just as dinner or is it in the dining rooms in general?

Also what about capris for women? I normally wear dresses and skirts for modesty reasons but I have recently added capris to my wardrobe. I am assuming these are counted as pants and are ok?

I feel silly asking these things but as my ticker says we are planning way in advance :)

If this helps, my husband would rather not wear dress pants in a warm climate but we've covered that problem by buying him drawstring linen pants. They are much more comfortable than pants or shorts and look really good on him.

He has two black pair, a navy pair, and one white pair.

If this helps, my husband would rather not wear dress pants in a warm climate but we've covered that problem by buying him drawstring linen pants. They are much more comfortable than pants or shorts and look really good on him.

He has two black pair, a navy pair, and one white pair.

What kind of shirt and shoes would he wear with those pants?

I'd vote a nice polo shirt or "tropical" shirt (silk) & nice fisherman's sandals.

My husband has some like this that he wears with many outfits during warm warm weather....These are Tommy Bahama from Nordstrom:

_5472619.jpg

He wears black silk tees and either his Rainbow flip flops or he has a pair of Prada sandals.

It just depends.

For example, in South Beach, men can't get in anywhere after 5PM with shorts on and if we are coming off the beach and want to head straight to the Delano for a mojito, he'll throw a pair on with his tee shirt and his flip flops.

If we are going somewhere for dinner, say somewhere like Nobu, he'll wear a silk tee and his Pradas.

Mostly though he wears premium denim at night.

My husband doesn't like baggy pants, so he wouldn't wear the linen lounge pants that BlueHerons linked to--but there are lots of other styles available in linen, the most wonderfully breathable of fabrics for hot & humid weather:D I'm esp. fond of seersucker, but I am very preppy (as I believe BlueHerons has mentioned in the past she is NOT) Madras--also a big fan! Just start looking around and you'll discover what's out there....

My husband has several pair of khaki's, they have some great one's that don't wrinkle, stain, etc. and its his 'cruise wardrobe' with some collared shirts. He has a few pair of the dressier Reeboks (can't remember the exact name) but they go with everything and the most comfortable pair of shoes he owns. He wears them with jeans, khaki's, etc.

The khaki's, to me, are the in between shorts/jeans and dress pants. And hubby doesn't mind wearing them because they're comfortable and cool.

Your hubby will probably wear pants to dinner then go change, so a few pairs in different colors should be sufficient for a few hours.

And yes, capri's are fine, that's about all I wear with nice tops. Sometimes a skirt or two but I'm most comfortable in nice capri's. Have fun!:)

Can't help you find pants your hubby will like, but I do like to say "Hi!" to the greyhound people I find on here!

Cute pup! How many do you have?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

Hi, other greyhound people! :D

Yay more greyhound people! We have two greys, the fawn female in my avatar and a giant hulking 90 pound male. He is all white except for a patch of "red" around his eye and his ear. Let me tell you he is hard to keep clean. Nice to "meet" you two :)

:D I'm esp. fond of seersucker, but I am very preppy (as I believe BlueHerons has mentioned in the past she is NOT) Madras--also a big fan! Just start looking around and you'll discover what's out there....

Sistah, as a southerner, I LOVE to see a man in seersucker and Madras plaid! Reminds me of my college days!

As a matter of fact, one of the few non athletic pairs of shorts my husband owns one is Madras plaid and the other is seersucker.

I dig all the plaid shorts that are the fad this year for men and women. My DH *HATES* them for some reason. Maybe it is because he saw my celebrity crush (Steve Gonsalves from Ghost Hunters) wearing them ;)

I am going to check out the drawstring linen pants. I am going to have to find out if I can find them in my DH's size (he is a big guy). For casual dining I think those would be great. I have made him some loose linen and flannel drawstring pants in the past to wear to ren faire type events so I can probably talk him into a nice pair of store bought ones for the cruise.

Ok..you mean to tell me in brutal New England winter weather he wears shorts, and he wears shorts to work every day? Unless he has a severe weight problem and can't find pants that fit him, then I'm not sure why he can't suck it up and wear them as needed for his cruise.

If it were my husband I'd tell him it wasn't going to kill him to wear pants, and he has to suck it up and do it or take a vacation somewhere else. I am not trying to be disrespectful here but it isn't going to kill him to wear pants. Everyone here has given him some good suggestions on how to cope.

Sistah, as a southerner, I LOVE to see a man in seersucker and Madras plaid! Reminds me of my college days!

As a matter of fact, one of the few non athletic pairs of shorts my husband owns one is Madras plaid and the other is seersucker.

Sorry--must have been someone else who didn't like preppy:o (though, you say you like seersucker and madras on a man--didn't say if you'd wear it:p )

My husband also has some great Gramicci pants and similar styles by other mfgr like Columbia (I buy mostly from www.sierratradingpost.com or reioutlet.com) Can get in multiple weights or fabrics--quick dry lightweight nylon up to microfiber corduroy, regular cotton, etc. Gusseted crotch (originally designed for rock climbing) and elastic waist with integral belt make these great for travel days, esp.!!

This one comes up to 2XL, but this is just the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/154,19296_Gramicci-Original-G-Pants-For-Men.html

Monkey--you didn't say what size your husband wears, but lucky for you--it's (sadly) much easier to find all sorts of clothing for big and/or tall men than it is for larger size women to find attractive clothing (that's changing thank goodness!!) Anyway, just saw these cute Tommy Bahama linen cargo pants--come in sizes up to 5x:

http://www.rochesterclothing.com/store/en_US/catalog/browse_sku.jsp?clear=true&catID=cat30281&prodId=63307&id=cat30316

I just googled "men's big and tall + linen pants" and a ton of stores came up. Good luck!!!

:eek: The linen drawstring pants look too much like P.J.'s for my husband's taste.

DH has some nice linen pants that have a relaxed fit ...still very comfortable yet casual and work for the dining room at night.

Archived