How does HAL compare to RCCI or Disney?

sandaneli

We have only cruised Disney but have 2 future cruises booked with Royal Caribbean. With airfare and air travel being so expensive and unpredictable we want to cruise from ports we can drive to. HAL goes out of Boston and NY but we do not know anything about them.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sandra

HAL ships will be comparable in amenities to a Disney ship. (We cruised Disney last January.) The HAL ships will be MUCH quieter all around. You'll notice this especially at dinner time. Holland America offers us a cruise experience that is classy and refined while not being stuffy. We love the elegant ships, fresh flowers, fine artwork, and especially the top-notch stewards.

I am partial to HAL but I have cruised on Disney. Disney was nice (took my daughter & grandsons) but I saw a live roach in our room (that kinda turned me off).

HAL is much cleaner that Disney and I agree quieter (of course). Food is better on HAL.

I think you will LOVE HAL!!

I have sailed on both Disney ships, as well as several of the HAL ships.

I am very loyal to HAL, but would not turn down another Disney cruise.

Some comparisons:

I thought that both Disney ships were immaculately clean. The same

with HAL.

If you ate at in the Palo specialty restaurant, you will find it comparable to the Pinaccle Grill in terms of food quality and service.

Castaway Cay has the advantage of being able to dock at the pier rather than tendering, but both it and Half Moon Cay are beautiful islands.

The Disney ships are not much different in size from a Vista class ship.

Try HAL. You won't be disappointed.

....having just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Maasdam, I would put that average just a weeeee tad older......more like 65. A very quiet and sedate cruise with no belly flop contests...that's for sure! RCI and Disney are far removed from that.

The only cruise lines I've traveled on are Disney and HAL. We use Disney when we travel with my nephews, sister, and parents. We use HAL when it is just the two of us.

I prefer Palo to the Pinnacle. Frankly, I was very disappointed with the Pinnacle Grill. It cost twice as much as going to Palo (now three times as much) and I found the food to be only marginally better than in the main dining room. For thirty dollars, the meal would be justified (quite nice actually) but as an upgrade over what you get in the dining room? Not worth it. I found the service in the dining room to be better as well.

But others seem to love the Pinnacle Grill, so it might have been bad luck for us.

I cruised from Montreal to Boston and loved it. We booked based on the itinerary. The Monteal-Boston route visits several places that we wanted to see, but were probably "just too far" for us to actually plan a trip there. On the cruise, we were able to see many different places (only one sea day!). I will note, however, that we often overheard teens and pre-teens complaining about how bored they were.

We keep meaning to try a different cruise line, but we keep finding ourselves back on HAL and Disney.

I said average age is 50 years OLDER, not 50 years old. For example, average age on Disney is 20, on HAL it's 70. :D

Oh, it all depends.....on when and where and for how long......

When in my 40's I have been amongst the oldest passengers on some sailings, when school is closed for vacation. I have also been amongst the oldest on a Carnival sailing during the school year.

Not that they are experts, but here is what Expedia.com prints under

Cruise Line FAQs:

• What's the general age range for cruisers?

Different cruise lines appeal to different age groups. Average passenger age ranges are as follows:

• Carnival: 30 percent under age 35; 40 percent ages 35–55; and 30 percent over age 55

• Celebrity: Ages 30–55

• Crystal: Age 60+

• Disney Cruise Line: 20s and up

• Holland America: 40s to 60s

• Norwegian: 50s

• Princess: Age 50+

• Windstar: Ages 35–55

• Royal Caribbean: 30s to 50s

The Cruise Lines Intl. Association offered this industry-wide passenger overview (from 2006 stats):

Median age: 49

Median household income: 84,000

57% college graduates

83% married

16% retired

Archived