Car Service in Amsterdam

I am staying at the Amsterdam Marriott (Stadhouderskade 12) the day before our cruise. Any suggestions on a car service to the cruise terminal. Thanks!

It is just a short drive of maybe 10/15 minutes to the cruise-terminal. I am sure cabs will be waiting near or at the hotel.

Ine,

Dank u. Your posts are very informative. One more question. To get from the airport to the Amsterdam Marriott I was looking at a service called Connexxion Schiphol Hotel Shuttle. They are charging 13,50 euros per person. Are they good or should I just get a cab. There are 4 of us.

Ine,

Dank u. Your posts are very informative. One more question. To get from the airport to the Amsterdam Marriott I was looking at a service called Connexxion Schiphol Hotel Shuttle. They are charging 13,50 euros per person. Are they good or should I just get a cab. There are 4 of us.

Connexxion shuttles are very good. They use small buses and go very often. Just report to their desk in the arrival hall, after you have cleared customs, got luggage etc.and are in the "shopping-centre".

Cab for 4 personsn will be in total more or less the same price, but not all cabs can hold 4 personsn plus their luggage.

Take the official cabs waiting outside, sometimes "cowboy-cabs" offer their services inside the terminal. They might be good, but often charge too much or make detours.

We will be arriving in Amsterdam after a long flight from LAX connecting in Frankfurt. We'll probably be dazed and confused and would prefer an immediate ride to our hotel in Delft, where we will stay for one week. Then we would like direct transportation to the Amsterdam Cruise Passenger Terminal to begin our river boat adventure. Anyone have any recommendations--cabs, limos, etc? Thanks for your help.

Bill

You are probably aware that Delft is between de Hague and Rotterdam and quite a distance from Schiphol, the airport near Amsterdam. A taxi will cost you an arm and a leg.

Still the best way to go is to take the train (book first class with your luggage, etc). You don't need to go to Amsterdam; the train leaves right from Schiphol. The train station in Delft is at the edge of town and a cab should be able to take you to your hotel (unless you are staying close near the station, and can take a short walk). Check your locations on Google Earth.

The good news is that Delft is a great little city. It is a miniture Amsterdam with narrow canals, a neat square with the old church where many of the royalty are buried. If you are in decent shape climb to the top of the church for a splendid view. Don't miss the flea market which is held right along the canals and have some neat old stuff for sale.

Yes, we fully expect to use the trains while visiting the Benelux countries for the week--will have a 5 day rail pass. However, one special treat while vacationing for us is to get to the hotel as quickly and painlessly as possible. We recognize that it's not inexpensive but the train option, after that ghastly flight, then another cab in Delft, is pushing our tolerance threshold. We may save one of the days on the rail pass for the return to the terminal but would much prefer a simple delivery to the hotel upon arrival.

I'm glad you think highly of Delft since we've done our homework and thought it might be an ideal base. I've traveled in the Netherlands many years ago but my wife has only been to Amsterdam and I want to show her what a spectacular region surrounds that city. Thanks again.

Bill

Bill, I understand your predicament.

You have done your homework, I am sure, but have you considered staying near Schiphol for one night?

Delft will still be there the following day and you would get some rest before you take the train with your pass to get to Delft. It would be a shame to get the wrong impression of that quaint city when you arrive dead tired.

Here is a website for hotels near the airport: http://www.hotels.nl/schiphol/nhschiphol/

You know, most places in Holland are very considerate and will try to help situations like yours.

Do you mind telling us what hotel you are booked at? They may just take exception in your case and still give you the discount. That way you might still be able to stay near Schiphol and go from there.

My experience in Delft was very positive. I stayed at a small hotel along one of the canals and the people there were more than interested in where I came from, etc.

But then again, if you went to Cal Santa Cruz, you should be able to rough things a bit more than the average 'slug'. (Or are there more 'slugs' than I am aware of?)

We will be arriving in Amsterdam after a long flight from LAX connecting in Frankfurt. We'll probably be dazed and confused and would prefer an immediate ride to our hotel in Delft, where we will stay for one week. Bill

Delft is about 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the airport. Considering a cabbie has to do that twice, he might charge you about 100 euros to get you to Delft.

Ine

I too value your advice so much - and I know you met cruise friends Gary and Chris of ours - we did the Baltics with them 2 years ago - and they do so rate your advice.

In July before we go on our North Cape cruise on Century we will be staying at Banks Mansions. Looking at Google Maps I cannot see where taxis might be located near there. Do we need to book with a company - particularly as we are 2 adults, 4 large suitcases and some carryons

Ann

Ine

I too value your advice so much - and I know you met cruise friends Gary and Chris of ours - we did the Baltics with them 2 years ago - and they do so rate your advice.

In July before we go on our North Cape cruise on Century we will be staying at Banks Mansions. Looking at Google Maps I cannot see where taxis might be located near there. Do we need to book with a company - particularly as we are 2 adults, 4 large suitcases and some carryons

Ann

I am on vacation at the moment in Mexico and donot have some links with me.

Bank Mansion is a very nice hotel, close to Rembrandtsplein. I am there will be cabs available close to your hotel or somebody in your hotel will and can phone one. Some cabs are larger then others, let them know beofre phoning.

It is just a drive of maybe 10 minutes to get tot the terminal.

Appreciate all information received so far. We were hoping the transportation might include a somewhat affordable car service such as they have in Rome. Some of those are actually cheaper than the cabs, at least that's what I've gathered from these boards. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Lair Bear--We are staying at the Bridges House Hotel and the slug name is not connected to the Banana Slugs of UC Santa Cruz, (even though I did live and play in CA most of my life) but more of a reference to inactivity.

Bill

The hotel is along the Oude Delft and is along a nice canal. It is about three blocks from the railroad station. Once you get settled in Delft, you will have an easy walk to the main square, surrounding canals, restaurants and the train station. Be sure to take a long walk along the Oosteinde canal (behind the big church turn right). It will lead you to the main gate of the old town. It is very photogenic and also the scene of one of Jan Vermeer's famous paintings.

113452~View-of-Delft-circa-1660-61-Posters.jpg

I wished I could suggest a better way to go from Schiphol to Delft. Perhaps Ine may have a suggestion when she is back home from Mexico.

The hotel is along the Oude Delft and is along a nice canal. It is about three blocks from the railroad station. Once you get settled in Delft, you will have an easy walk to the main square, surrounding canals, restaurants and the train station. Be sure to take a long walk along the Oosteinde canal (behind the big church turn right). It will lead you to the main gate of the old town. It is very photogenic and also the scene of one of Jan Vermeer's famous paintings.

113452~View-of-Delft-circa-1660-61-Posters.jpg

I wished I could suggest a better way to go from Schiphol to Delft. Perhaps Ine may have a suggestion when she is back home from Mexico.

I donot have the correct links on this PC in Mexico. But you can go to the airport website www.schiphol.nl and on the sections transportation -if I remember well= you will also find the shuttle busservice done by the airportservices. By putting in the zip of your hotel in Delft you will see how mucht it will costs. Probably the cheapest als also easiest way to do it.

More when I am back home, around May 14.

On the way back you can make advancereservations to get back to the airport - this service doesnot go to the cruiseterminal- from the airport to the cruise-terminal you can take a train to Centraal station.

Archived