balcony/ oceanview or inside on a Alaska cruise

we are cruising to Alaska in September and DH has booked an inside

How much better is it to be in a balcony then an inside, we know with the inside we have to go out on deck to see the wonderful view

why is it best to get a balcony especially on a Alaska cruise

I did a balcony, but if I had to do it over again would probably have gone with the inside (balcony was twice as much money). Although it is nice having a private viewing area, you do generally get better views from the top deck of the ship where you have more expansive, panoramic views than from your balcony. Also the weather is much cooler than on Caribbean cruises which limits the balcony use somewhat. If the balcony was only 50% more of so than an inside, I'd go for it, but I wouldn't pay double again.

I had a balcony on our Alaska cruise in July. We really didn't use it very much. The reason, it was too cold for me. That's ME I get cold when it dips under 80. When I go next year I will have an oceanview. I want to see out, but I don't want to go out. Plus, they're only a few hundred dollars more that inside.

thanks for your response the difference with our Dianmond discount would be about 700 I m considering surprising DH but he s ok with the inside its me who thinks the balcony for personal viewing would be nicest.

I hope I can convince you to go ahead and get the balcony!! The scenery is so beautiful especially the inside passage!! You will most likely want to be on the deck or a large enclosed window area with a panormamic view for the glacier bay day. Alaska is one of the cruises I would absolutely recommend a balcony if you can afford it...just being in port and looking out, having a drink while putting on my makeup, having morning coffee/breakfast are just some other reasons I like the balcony besides the view!! We've been to Alaska three times, September once and July twice....never had weather that was too cold to enjoy being outside and have gotten sunburned more than once!! The air is so fresh and crisp!!!!! Wish I were going......

well my DH isnt thrilled aobut an Alaska cruise anyways I am tho and am thinking on that Balcony

we ve had a balcony once or twice before in the carribbean

this may be my only chance for an alaska crusie as DH wants to only go where its warm/ hot

hey if he cant get relief at work as hes always short staffed would you like to join me hmmmmm just a thought

I have to agree with Alwayshappy on having a balcony. We are doing the Alaska cruise again this year and I definitely wanted a balcony this time.

The first time we had an outside and it was fine with the exception of the views. When we went to the Hubbard Glacier, it was so cold and so crowded up on deck or anywhere for that matter. I am very short and I could hardly see where ever I went. No one would let me get closer to the rail as everyone wanted to see. Can't blame them. And to stand out there for all that time I was freezing.

This time we could use our balcony if necessary. Order some drinks and snakes from roomservice and just enjoy.

I can't wait. Enjoy your cruise. Whatever you choose you will enjoy

My DH wanted no part of Alaska (since he likes warm weather too) and now talks about the cruise as the best ever!!!

We had an inside cabin--enabled us to be upstairs, outside to see and feel the real Alaska. We used the $$ we saved to pay for our excursions!

How much better is it to be in a balcony then an inside, we know with the inside we have to go out on deck to see the wonderful view

I would feel cheated on an Alaskan Cruise with an inside cabin..IMO (as I do get insides for caribbean, so no flamin').

It is a must to get balcony or atleast OV. You can have breakfast out on balcony...Alaska is a different kind of cold. DH and I ate several mornings out there. When u r cruising you can catch so many different wildlife at sea, that you'd miss if u just didn't happen to be up on deck to see. When at Glacier you can enjoy the gorgeous scenery from ur cabin, without fighting the crowd. It was superb having a balcony this cruise. If u can afford it, then it's a no brainer...but if cannot stick w/ur inside and u will still have a great cruise.

well my DH isnt thrilled aobut an Alaska cruise anyways I am tho and am thinking on that Balcony

we ve had a balcony once or twice before in the carribbean

this may be my only chance for an alaska crusie as DH wants to only go where its warm/ hot

hey if he cant get relief at work as hes always short staffed would you like to join me hmmmmm just a thought

Initially I was going to say that DH may not be excited about Alaska before the cruise, but he will be after. However, I noticed you live in BC, so the cruise scenery may be similar to where you live??

We had a balcony on our Alaska cruise and in looking back, never once regretted it. Yes, it was more expensive, but just having the luxury of enjoying morning coffee or an afternoon cocktail on the balcony made it all the worthwhile. The evenings and the cool air made it that much more enjoyable.

Give me a shout if DH can't make it;)

I loved having a balcony for Alaska! Just sitting out and watching the scenery was awe inspiring and being able to see it while I was getting dressed was great. We went at the end of July and it was pretty warm in port but chilly when we were sailing. It didn't matter to me. The scenery was worth the balcony. I would never book an inside for Alaska. I would miss too much.

We did Alaska last September, and we had an O/V. I'm also a BC resident, but still found the scenery awesome, and watching for wildlife, including whales, would have been so much easier from a balcony. I loved Alaska, and will be going back again and for sure will get a balcony next time, if finances permit.

I loved my balcony last year. It was great to get away from the crowds, but I still spent most of my time up on deck where I could walk around for the best vantage points for pictures. Most of the time we were out to sea it was too cold to sit out too long. This year I am going again and taking my DH along for the ride. (Just the girls went last year.) We had a balcony but decided to get an OV instead. My husband is the photographer and said he would perfer to be out on deck. I think you will enjoy yourself no matter what cabin you choose.

ok I did it with the Diamond discount for a Balcony and the Canadian residency rate it will be somewhere around 400 more for the cabin more or less

we got a good deal

cept now I can not see my reservation yet as they are changing it as we speak, heh heh am I nuts

I was at the gym in the parking lot when I finally called the TA she called me back twice while I was working out and I said good deal great book it Im convince and DH is almost hooked on the idea and hey if I m happy he will be too

My DW and I went on our first cruise to Alaska aboard Serenade for our Tenth and we had a balcony. it was so nice at sail away we sat on our balcony sipping Champagne watching the world go by. and than cruising through the inside passage with the privacy of our room. The highlight was on our balcony in the Gulf of Alaska in the soft light of midnite and seeing the horizon. We have been hooked on balcony rooms ever since. We are booked on Independance next march with a balcony room. it is worth the cost for us.

thank you every one

you have convinced DH and I (well I was easy to convince) to book a Balcony

not sure what room we have yet ,

yes we will now have a balcony

and during the icy strait part we will order from room service and view from our balcony

we may run up top and back to our balcony as I hate to think I d miss any thing

but breaky in our room that day

SilverVal, glad to see you booked and yes, you and DH will enjoy the balcony.

You mentioned Icy Strait. Which ship and what is your itinerary? I ask, because we were on Vision OTS a couple of years ago out of Seattle and it included Juneau, Skagway and Icy Strait. Icy Strait Point is a port owned by the cruise companies located near an old fishing village called Hoonah. On our cruise, Captain Stein did not take the ship into Hubbard Bay, and therefore, only tendered at Icy Strait. There are excursions offered by the ship that will take you over to Glacier Bay which I believe is about 45 minutes away. Just keep in mind there are no glacier viewings near the Icy Strait/Hoonah port. But, the scenery was just as spectacular!

Someone posted:

"When we went to the Hubbard Glacier, it was so cold and so crowded up on deck or anywhere for that matter. I am very short and I could hardly see where ever I went. No one would let me get closer to the rail as everyone wanted to see. Can't blame them. And to stand out there for all that time I was freezing."

THANK YOU for that reminder! "Frugal Me" was starting to waver on booking a balcony vs. an oceanview. We will be traveling with our 4 kids across the hall in an inside and plan on using their room for sleeping and our room for the "living room". I hadn't thought about their ability to see over other people on a crowded deck (the youngest will be 5 and the 8-year-old is barely taller than he is). This convinces me to spring for the balcony so we will have a guaranteed spot to see the shoreline when they want.

And we'll order room service too!:D Thanks for the great advice from all!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

SilverVal, glad to see you booked and yes, you and DH will enjoy the balcony.

You mentioned Icy Strait. Which ship and what is your itinerary? I ask, because we were on Vision OTS a couple of years ago out of Seattle and it included Juneau, Skagway and Icy Strait. Icy Strait Point is a port owned by the cruise companies located near an old fishing village called Hoonah. On our cruise, Captain Stein did not take the ship into Hubbard Bay, and therefore, only tendered at Icy Strait. There are excursions offered by the ship that will take you over to Glacier Bay which I believe is about 45 minutes away. Just keep in mind there are no glacier viewings near the Icy Strait/Hoonah port. But, the scenery was just as spectacular!

but there is a glacier that we cruise by from 9 til 1 that we will enjoy breaky and the veiw from our room, guess I got the ports mixed up,

I didnt know Icy strait was a cruise owned port, is that similiar to coco cay

we will be on the Serenade on Sept 13 guess it will be cooler then ?

Archived