balcony/ oceanview or inside on a Alaska cruise

I'm glad this question was asked. We are thinking about taking a cruise to Alaska next year, probably the first part of Sept. We have had a balcony in Hawaii, and also in the Caribbean where it was warm. But for me, I kind of think it would be a waste of money for Alaska. I freeze when the temperature is below 60 so I doubt if we would spend much time out there anyway. One of my sons and his wife have been there twice, and they said they don't spend much time in the room anyway, so they just get an inside, and spend the money they save on tours. We will probably get an OV.

Book what you can afford. My general rule is that if you have to ask the question, you should book the inside cabin.

Everyone said we should book the balcony for our Panama canal cruise. We did this and did not spend 5 minutes on the balcony during the Panama canal passage. Then everyone said you have to go on an excursion. I said to myself "why? You told me I should book a balcony for the canal and now you are telling me not even to stay on the ship."

I've done the Alaska cruise 3 times. Twice in an outside once in an inside. I will stick to my inside cabin because we love to be out on deck with the other passengers.

Everyone has their own preference and you should book what makes you happy and comfortable. I spend a lot of time in my cabin and on the balcony. We did the transit through the Panama Canal locks with a bottle of wine on our balcony. It was great. We spent a lot of time in our cabin/on the balcony while sailing in Alaska. If you don't do this, then by all means book an inside or an oceanview. I always book a balcony. It's what makes me happy. :D

well it will cost us approx 500 dollars more now, its seems the cruise company thought our paid for train excursion was part of our deposit, even though it said somewhere we had reserved the train excursion, lol

none the less we are pleased we are in a Balcony, while we are gettign dressed, waiting for each other at times we agree to meet up, or watching the glacier with no one in front of us we will enjoy the Balcony,

we ve had a balcony twice before, otherwise 2 OV and rest were insides

we are both short, I m 5 1 seems that shrinking bones has already started on me, I m sure I was 5 2 at one time,

when I heard I was in a Balcony I was soo excited thnking its a E1 as that was all that was showing, ooops same price but we are on the 8 th floor in a E2 same price confusing but its all ok

I will enjoy my cruise

I was hoping for 1524 but we are in 8632 and I love a balcony

now the idea of breakfast in our room sounds more romantic

There is something absolutely magical about waking up and being able to see the mountains and other scenery as you cruise by. We leave our balcony door ajar, so the room is cold and snuggling is excellent. And cruising Hubbard Glacier is very crowded up top. I wouldn't take a FREE cruise to Alaska if there wasn't a balcony!

We always have a balcony when we cruise, but I could care less about a balcony in the Caribbean because it is just endless ocean and HOT - maybe being from a hot humid place has affected my judgment!

We had a balcony and I was soooo glad we did. The scenery was beautiful to sit and watch go by cuddled up in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate. I'd much rather have a balcony on an Alaskan cruise than on a Carribbean cruise. You get tired of having to stay up on the deck to see the scenery and its nice to go back to your cabin and not feel like you're missing something. There's so much to see!

U did good...u will LOVE having the balcony for this cruise...follow up on here in Sept. and tell what u thought! :)

will do thanks

wish you all were joining us on the crusie it would be soo much fun

DH loves to relax and read and take it easy I want to see all do all and i m on the go as much as I can

As the kids would say, "OMG!! Must do a balcony for Alaska!" If you get cold, just wrap up in a blanket on your balcony. I would love to do another alaska cruise and would definitely go for a balcony again.

We went to Icy Strait. Everyone else in the group went fishing, but my 18 year old son and I just walked into Hoonah (about a mile?) and checked out the town. While there, two deer sauntered through the town...reminded me of the TV show Northern Exposure. We had breakfast at a little restaurant and chatted with locals, then at lunch at another little place, we ran into the same locals again. Kids in the town stopped us to point out things, and it was just so much fun. Hoonah remains the high point of our wonderful cruise tour.

We're cruising in June to the Mexican Riviera, but I'm a bit envious of your Alaskan trip...Have a great time!

We've gone to Alaska twice ... first cruise (years ago) had ocean view cabins (with the small portholes --- original Pacific Princess). We cruised Misty Fjords and spent a great deal of time out on deck. In 2006 was on the Dawn Princess and had a balcony cabin. We LOVED it. It was great being able to put on a sweater and go out ... the balcony walls acted like a wind break for us. We still spent a great deal of time out on deck. The day we cruised Tracy Arm we spent 4 or 5 hours out at the very front of the ship watching. YES, there were lots of people there. YES, it was cold. YES, I am short so viewing was hard at times because we were in a small area. Our friends went to the AFT of the ship and had a great view there. Also mentioned it wasn't as breezing at the part they were at. We definitely spent more time out on deck, but we truly used our balcony ... no regrets.

We are booked on the Radiance of the Seas for the Sep 12th cruise also. We have a balcony cabin for that cruise. Can't wait!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise. I know you won't regret the balcony cabin.

We had a room on the port side deck 9 midship. we had the best view of Juneu and ketchikan from our balcony. plus inthe center ship there were less motion from the ship. we had slight storms and we sleep like babies. It was incredible. the slight effect. we were 2 doors away from the centrum and elevators on Serenade. Our room was on the aft part of the hump so we had a little extra room on our balcony. And room service was great with the hot chocolate at hubbard glacier.

Archived