Tipping for shore excursion in Europe

staufj22

Hi,

Can anyone give me an idea on how tipping for shore excursions work? I mean, are there envelopes we put into, or do we find the guide after the excursion, and hand them cash?

I'll be on a Med cruise, and have booked a few excursions. Are the guides from HAL? so tipping would be in US Dollars? or do I need to find some local currency?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jimmy

When we were in the Med a couple of years ago, I used US $2.00 bills for tipping (I get them in uncirculated condition from the local Savings & Loan).

The locals seemed to like them - but did not like the "new" golden Sakajawea (sp) dollar coins. I think they readily convert the bills, but not the coin.

Have no fear---the guides will make themselves available to receive your thanks and your tips.

If you are on a bus they will be at the bottom of the step to make sure you get off safely. At that point a hand-shake is appropriate; folded money is passed unobtrusively.

American money is readily accepted when you tip.

In restaurants tipping is not expected in most of Europe.

As for shorex, we always tip the guides and the bus drivers. We try to use local currency but no one will refuse US $. Just don't forget, the exchange rate is HEAVILY weighted toward the Euro and the pound sterling. The exchange rates this summer were awful.

We usually gave $5 US or several euro dollars to the guide and $2 to the driver.

None of the HAL shuttles into town for "on your own" trips were free. They either charged them to your room card or arranged for cash payment when boarding the shuttle (4-8 dollars).

I bet it will be the same in the med.

GN

Archived