Suggestions for 55++++ single cruiser

pattigay

Has anyone out there in their "golden years" had experience cruising solo? I am going to need some "me" time after seeing DH through terminal illness and would really like to cruise single this one time. Any suggestions on particular ships/lines? Thanks for any input!!!

Thanks jpg - I've cruised on RCL (years ago!), Celebrity and HAL but thought that someone might have some experience in knowing what line feels more "comfortable" for a solo. Some of my decision will also be based on single supplement rates. Guess I will probably do what you suggested and pick my destination first and then just wing it.

I've almost always cruised solo and I've loved the experience on all of the ships I've been on. I don't think it will matter. I've never had a problem on any ship. Don't discount Carnival. Their 1A's are a terrific bargain for a solo and there's a full range of ages on their longer cruises. I've found when pricing cruises that the single supplement can vary greatly within a cruiseline by date and cabin type so shop around.

Since you've cruised with HAL before you know what to expect. I have found them to have the best single supplement as I too am a solo cruiser. I would also recommend booking from an on-line discount site over directly with HAL. This will save a good hunk of change. Good- luck.

Most times I'm a 55+ solo cruisier. I've had good luck with traditional dining. I enjoyed the 'meetup' at late night dining with the same cruisers and waiters each night.

After 4 cruises solo I find I really enjoy a good mix of sea days and ports. When I look at a possible cruise, I'm attracted to an itinerary that has port days and sea days intermingled. I do not know if I'd like 5-7 sea days all at once.

Pricewise Carnival and HAL seem to have the best pricing for us solos. I really enjoyed my Carnival cruise out of NY. The spirit class is my favorite of larger cruise ships.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Faith

I am a solo cruiser of 55+. I would suggest one of HAL's "DAM" ships.

When planning a sailing of 6 months out, I use the company for booking. I do use an online company for booking of less than 60 days. The price is less.

Your enjoy your Trip,

first time single cruiser going to scotland and ireland. does anyone know of any companies that offer a sightseeing van. i would like to try and join a group. not sure how.

also, is anyone else a single cruiser? how was dining experience? little nervous about it. would appreciate any tips you can offer.

You should check out *****.com. They have 'hosted singles cruises'. And some are even for the 40+ cruisers. I've been receiving their email newsletters for about 6 months, and they give a small post cruise report, including activities and pictures. :)

• 4 weeks later...

55+ and recently widowed.....I'm just starting to look for a cruise to be my first solo.....I want to be sure I am on a ship with assigned seating for dinner.....saw a 40+ singles cruise on Solstice in January 2009, does anyone know if that ship has assigned dinner seating?

Also, would appreciate any tips or info to help give me the courage to take my first solo cruise.......

I'm a 58 yr. widow and I took my first solo cruise last March and had a blast. I was on RCI and had late traditional seating. I was seated with 3 other singles and we hit it off and had a lot of fun together. Funny thing is we were seated at a table for 8 and only we 4 showed up after the first night so we had excellent service.

I'm taking adult kids to Alaska this summer but I'm planning a solo in October and again in March.

One thing I believe all cruise lines do is have a get together for singles the first or second night.

Enjoy cruising solo.

I only wish there were a site to find others to cruise with to help with the dreaded single supplement! If anyone knows of a site, please let me know.

Thanks Winnie.....still looking for just the right itinerary to book. Did RCI charge you 200% for solo?

Yes....but the fare was very cheap to begin with and I booked an inside room so it was about $100.00 per day total. I don't remember the exact amount I paid... memory fart! :D I have a lot of those. lol

Yes....but the fare was very cheap to begin with and I booked an inside room so it was about $100.00 per day total. I don't remember the exact amount I paid... memory fart! :D I have a lot of those. lol

I have the memory farts too. In fact, I have every stinking kind there is. Do you really want someone to help cut that supplement fee??? hehehe!:D

I have the memory farts too. In fact, I have every stinking kind there is. Do you really want someone to help cut that supplement fee??? hehehe!:D

I'm always open for anything. e-mail me at mjluckycowboyatgmail.com

My ideal life would be to take 4 cruises a year. At present I think I can manage 3 solos per year inside but with a partner that could go to 4 or 5 per year.

Oh... my 2 cats would be very upset!!!!!!!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone , I have done solo crusing and I find that I can go at my own speed and do what I want , My 1st solo was a trans atlantic on the Brilliance , I also was part of the M/M so they all knew I was solo and would have me seat with them when ever I was in the buffet looking for a table . I had the best time and met and made many new friends. I do shop around for the best prices when they drop and gives a senior discount. Since I have to pay double occupancy rate. I find I am happier on the Trans Atlantic Cruises more people my age and lots of relaxing sea days. So far I have only cruised with RCI , I am widowed for 3 yrs now and crusing keeps me focus on new horizons. Stay well:)

Thanks for everyone's input.....I booked my first solo......12/7/08 on Solstice. Celebrity added an additional cruise when they moved the innaugural sailing from Dec to Nov and the prices were good. Got a balcony!

Pattigay---I took my first solo cruise in May aboard the Crystal Serenity and throughly enjoyed it. I have cruised on Crystal several times. The single supplement for the most inexpensive cabin is 135% and they have assigned seating. I never felt lonely. Jinn

Pattigay---I took my first solo cruise in May aboard the Crystal Serenity and throughly enjoyed it. I have cruised on Crystal several times. The single supplement for the most inexpensive cabin is 135% and they have assigned seating. I never felt lonely. Jinn

I've done one solo cruise with Crystal and have another one booked and I found Crystal to be very solo friendly. I believe the supplement is just 125% for the C cabins on the Serenity and and C,D and E on the Symphony.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cruised with Carnival several times. Found this info on a site.

CRUISE GUIDE Single Suppliment Singles Cabin

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES 150 - 200% x

CELEBRITY CRUISES 200% x

COSTA CRUISE LINE 150 - 200% LIM

CRYSTAL CRUISES 120% x

CUNARD LINE 110 - 200% a

DISNEY CRUISE LINE 175 - 200% x

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE 125 - 200% x

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINES 150 - 200% LIM

ORIENT LINES 125 - 175% LIM

PRINCESS CRUISES 150 - 200% LIM

RADISSON SEVEN SEAS Varies x

REGAL CRUISES Varies a

ROYAL CARIBBEAN 200% x

SEABOURN CRUISE LINE 110 - 200%

WINDSTAR CRUISES 175% x

I became a widow in '06 and since then I have sailed solo on 3 RCL cruises -- loved them all. I am now booked on RCL Serenade in Jan 09. Never felt like a 5th wheel. Just be aware of your surroundings when in the ports. Also, I hate to say it but, even on board -- I wouldn't advertise the fact that you are sailing solo. Best advice? ENJOY! Life is too damn short (as I know).

I became a widow in '06 and since then I have sailed solo on 3 RCL cruises -- loved them all. I am now booked on RCL Serenade in Jan 09. Never felt like a 5th wheel. Just be aware of your surroundings when in the ports. Also' date=' I hate to say it but, even on board -- I wouldn't advertise the fact that you are sailing solo. Best advice? ENJOY! Life is too damn short (as I know).[/quote']

I became a widow in 2007 and couldn't agree more.....

Amen to that....Life is TOO damn short!

With the downturn in the economy, I wonder if the cruise industry will return to booking strangers of the same sex in the one cabin, which certainly would keep costs down.

On my first trip overseas to and fro the UK, I travelled in a four berth cabin, with three strangers. On the way over, my fellow cabinmates were all elderly, except me, whilst on the way back, my fellow cabinmates were young, with one elderly. It worked well and only a quarter of the cabin cost.

The company my daughter is booking through for her Antarctica cruise has arranged for her to share a cabin.

Archived