Suggestions for 55++++ single cruiser

pattigay

I am now at the 60+ age range where I need to cruise with other singles in my age range.

Does anybody know or heard of an older age organized singles group?

I have cruised several times with a singles 40+ group with *****.com and with Singlescruise.com but most of the men are in their 50's and I prefer to be with men who are in their 60's on up.

I have done two solo cruises with Royal Caribbean and enjoyed myself. I did what I wanted when I wanted. The one thing I did not like the last time was that I was at a table with just two other people, so it limited the number of people I got to know at mealtimes. But I went to the craft classes and scrapbooking and met people with similar interests. I am single, never married, and if you wait until you have someone permanent to do things with all the time, you miss a lot!

Just have a great time!

Betty Jean

Betty Jean,

That happened to me on my first Solo!! It was on a Solstice sailing in December. I asked for a large table and got a table with just one couple. So I went to the dining room after the first night and changed to a table for 10 and had the best time ever! Now I am looking for something for my second solo......thinking about the new Oasis of the Seas later this year.

Grand Circle is a great travel company. It would be a great group for a single. We've done two cruises with them, and land vacations, but have never done river cruises. Our friends (who we met on a Grand Circle vacation) have, however, and loved them. Every trip we've done has had its share of singles.

• 3 weeks later...

The sites are out there on the web but we can't mention thier names here. I'm in the same boat, I love to cruise but like to avoid the single supplement. I have cruised with groups and found people within the group that want to cruise together and we had a great time on cruises without the group which saves money! Carol

I'm a 58 yr. widow and I took my first solo cruise last March and had a blast. I was on RCI and had late traditional seating. I was seated with 3 other singles and we hit it off and had a lot of fun together. Funny thing is we were seated at a table for 8 and only we 4 showed up after the first night so we had excellent service.

I'm taking adult kids to Alaska this summer but I'm planning a solo in October and again in March.

One thing I believe all cruise lines do is have a get together for singles the first or second night.

Enjoy cruising solo.

I only wish there were a site to find others to cruise with to help with the dreaded single supplement! If anyone knows of a site, please let me know.

I just did a solo cruise after loosing my husband. I loved the cruise, it was the best time I've had since I've been on my own. The only issue I had was the single supplement !!! I really felt ripped off at the price I had to pay to sail solo.

I had no problem at meals, or taking trips or even at the evening entertainment. I thought I'd be much more shy, or uncomfortable , but I was fine.

Let me know how you like your cruise.

Wer2nxt.....

I'm in my mid-50's and just booked my first solo cruise for Thanksgiving week. I am a widow and just lost my mother in January. I decided it was time to start some new traditions for holidays that didn't rely on the little family I have left. I won't have to choose which friend/relative hosts me for dinner on the holiday. I will be in Nassau!

I booked Mecury out of Baltimore because I live less than an hour away so I can drive--no airfare, no checked luggage fees, no hotel the night before, no airport security. It was between a 9-night cruise on Mercury and 7-nights on HAL's Eurodam out of FLL. I got a lot of good advice and guidance on Solo Cruiser board. I have already posted on the Celebrity Connections board for that cruise which, as we all know, is a great way to meet fellow passengers before you set foot on the ship.

The more I think about cruising by myself with no one else's wants/desires/likes/dislikes to factor into the daily plan, the more I think I will like solo cruising. I take other vacations by myself. Why not cruise as a solo?

• 3 weeks later...
first time single cruiser going to scotland and ireland. does anyone know of any companies that offer a sightseeing van. i would like to try and join a group. not sure how.

also, is anyone else a single cruiser? how was dining experience? little nervous about it. would appreciate any tips you can offer.

Go to the roll call boards....find any ship with your itenirary that has already sailed....everyone will talk about the tours they have used and how to find them...

there's also a forum that lists individual cities, country's etc...lots of info. there.....I'm working on Rome...found lots of private tours and great directions all over the city...

I'm in my mid-50's and just booked my first solo cruise for Thanksgiving week. I am a widow and just lost my mother in January. I decided it was time to start some new traditions for holidays that didn't rely on the little family I have left. I won't have to choose which friend/relative hosts me for dinner on the holiday. I will be in Nassau!

I booked Mecury out of Baltimore because I live less than an hour away so I can drive--no airfare, no checked luggage fees, no hotel the night before, no airport security. It was between a 9-night cruise on Mercury and 7-nights on HAL's Eurodam out of FLL. I got a lot of good advice and guidance on Solo Cruiser board. I have already posted on the Celebrity Connections board for that cruise which, as we all know, is a great way to meet fellow passengers before you set foot on the ship.

The more I think about cruising by myself with no one else's wants/desires/likes/dislikes to factor into the daily plan, the more I think I will like solo cruising. I take other vacations by myself. Why not cruise as a solo?

I, too, am a widow & enjoyed reading about your cruise. :) I have not ventured out on my own yet, but am interested in finding out how you liked "cruising solo". It makes me nervous not knowing anyone so any advice you can give, I would appreciate. It's also hard to find something where it's not costing you an arm & a leg just because you're traveling "solo". Last year I went on Royal Carib with my SIS & we are going again to Mexico the end of April.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I went on my first solo last December and was quite nervous about it also! (I too was recently widowed and am in my late 50's) I joined in the roll call for the sailing and we were all meeting at sail away.....during that time I was able to find some people that had similar interest and I did fine. The bigest anxiety for me was my dinner seating. I had asked for a large table and got a table for 3 with an older couple. I thought I would cry! They were nice, but the thoughts of being a third wheel with strangers for 7 nights was not what I had in mind. I spoke to some people at the Cruise Critic get together and changed to sit with a few of them from our roll call.....from then on the cruise was fantastic! I went to the trivia events and always found a group that needed one more and I mingled fine on several excursions, etc......I am booked again for a solo in November and am really looking forward to it.....

Don't be afraid to take that first step.....you won't regret it!!

Hi Lynne,

I went on my first solo last December and was quite nervous about it also! (I too was recently widowed and am in my late 50's) I joined in the roll call for the sailing and we were all meeting at sail away.....during that time I was able to find some people that had similar interest and I did fine. The bigest anxiety for me was my dinner seating. I had asked for a large table and got a table for 3 with an older couple. I thought I would cry! They were nice, but the thoughts of being a third wheel with strangers for 7 nights was not what I had in mind. I spoke to some people at the Cruise Critic get together and changed to sit with a few of them from our roll call.....from then on the cruise was fantastic! I went to the trivia events and always found a group that needed one more and I mingled fine on several excursions, etc......I am booked again for a solo in November and am really looking forward to it.....

Hi Kathy,

Thank you so, so, much for your words of encouragement. I haven't booked a solo cruise yet, it's the price that always gets to me.......the fact that you have to pay alot more just because you're traveling alone.

I am going on the RC Mariner of the Seas cruise with my SIL the end of April to Mexico. I have started following the roll call blog for that one & just thought I would try the 55+ blog. When I read your note, you made me realize that "yes, I can do this"! I know exactly how you feel when you were talking about being a "3rd wheel"......everything seems to be geared towards "couples". Anyway, it's good to know that we "solos" can still have some fun too. :)

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Hi Kathy,

Thank you so, so, much for your words of encouragement. I haven't booked a solo cruise yet, it's the price that always gets to me.......the fact that you have to pay alot more just because you're traveling alone.

I am going on the RC Mariner of the Seas cruise with my SIL the end of April to Mexico. I have started following the roll call blog for that one & just thought I would try the 55+ blog. When I read your note, you made me realize that "yes, I can do this"! I know exactly how you feel when you were talking about being a "3rd wheel"......everything seems to be geared towards "couples". Anyway, it's good to know that we "solos" can still have some fun too. :)

Lynne

You can probably tell, I'm still trying to get the hang of this blogging stuff!

Lynne,

I realized that when my late husband & I cruised we spent several hours apart every day doing things that we each were interested in.....so cruising solo seemed familiar in that respect.....but I would not cruise on a free style dining ship, as I enjoy having the same tablemates, wait staff etc.....I have never cruised on Carnival, but have read posts on Cruise Critic that they seat solos together at dinner and have more solo friendly cruise fares.......I love Celebrity Cruise line, but they always seem to charge 200% for solos.....RCCL has some 125%, 150% & 175% solo rates.......

Lynne,

I realized that when my late husband & I cruised we spent several hours apart every day doing things that we each were interested in.....so cruising solo seemed familiar in that respect.....but I would not cruise on a free style dining ship, as I enjoy having the same tablemates, wait staff etc.....I have never cruised on Carnival, but have read posts on Cruise Critic that they seat solos together at dinner and have more solo friendly cruise fares.......I love Celebrity Cruise line, but they always seem to charge 200% for solos.....RCCL has some 125%, 150% & 175% solo rates.......

Your statement about you and your husband doing your own thing during the day is exactly the way DH and I were when we cruised. He wanted to play basketball, jog around the deck, and go listen to the ship's engineer talk about the ship's operation. I wanted the spa and the pool. Even in port, he would go on a scuba diving tour and I would shop. It really made cocktails and dinner a lot of fun because we caught up with each other's adventures during the day.

I have managed to justify the single suppliment by reminding myself that I am paying about the same for a concierge class cabin on Mercury as I did per person when DH and I cruised in a suite. Unfortunately, I just cannot fathom cruising without a balcony. The regular cabins on Mercury are smaller than on some of the newer ships, but I will have all the closet and drawer space for myself. At least as an Elite cruiser, I will get all those perks which include, I hope, invitations to some private events and a chance to meet some new people.

After reading this thread, I am beginning to think we ought to arrange a "widows" cruise. There seems to be a lot of widowed ladies who cruise solo.

Lynne,

Hi Kathy............thanks for the info. I am going on my "2nd" cruise on RC with my SIL the end of April to Mexico. I've really gotten into this "cruising" thing.............I absolutely love it. I appreciate your words of

encouragement. Sounds like you have a "great" time on your trips!

Lynne

Your statement about you and your husband doing your own thing during the day is exactly the way DH and I were when we cruised. He wanted to play basketball, jog around the deck, and go listen to the ship's engineer talk about the ship's operation. I wanted the spa and the pool. Even in port, he would go on a scuba diving tour and I would shop. It really made cocktails and dinner a lot of fun because we caught up with each other's adventures during the day.

I have managed to justify the single suppliment by reminding myself that I am paying about the same for a concierge class cabin on Mercury as I did per person when DH and I cruised in a suite. Unfortunately, I just cannot fathom cruising without a balcony. The regular cabins on Mercury are smaller than on some of the newer ships, but I will have all the closet and drawer space for myself. At least as an Elite cruiser, I will get all those perks which include, I hope, invitations to some private events and a chance to meet some new people.

After reading this thread, I am beginning to think we ought to arrange a "widows" cruise. There seems to be a lot of widowed ladies who cruise solo.

You're absolutely right..........we should arrange a "widows" cruise!!!!:)

Lynne

I agree......"Widow's Cruise" sounds good....sign me up! :)

Straughn....you mentioned you had taken other vacations solo why not a cruise.....I have cruised solo, but had never taken any other type of vacation solo......what types of solo travel have you enjoyed?

Kathy-

The only vacations I have taken since DH passed away have been to Walt Disney World and to the beach. These are both places that I know well and am extremely comfortable visiting by myself. I haven't ventured out to places I have not been before, but am contemplating a trip to Europe alone to visit some cities I have not seen.

At a previous job, I traveled internationally as a meeting planner, often going on site visits alone. I am comfortable going to new places by myself. I am just very careful about where I go in cities with which I am unfamilar. I have developed a 6th sense about when I am wandering into unsafe territory.

I have to agree with your statement about not wanting open seating/free style dining. I look forward to having the same dinner companions each night. Dining alone is probably the one thing that can sometimes be a minor downer.

Hi. Want to meet up with other 55+ singles on the April 25 Oosterdam cruise. I'm coming from Vancouver. Anyone else doing the same?

Have no tour arranged to see Florence and would like your suggestions. Really don't want an 11 hour tour.

Quiddler

Quiddler, have you signed up for the roll call for your cruise?

If not, go to Roll Calls, Holland America and then find your ship name and then the date of your cruise and you will meet people on your cruise before you leave.

• 3 weeks later...

I was widowed a year ago (I'm 67) and have done one solo cruise on RCL. It went fine and will do more. Although since I end up paying double, I have taken both of my adult daughters on separate cruises. I would avoid Norwegian because I would end up eating alone all the time and that is the one thing I really hate. I've done 36 cruises and five since I lost my husband. I would be interested in getting a widows' cruise also.

Rosemary

I was widowed a year ago (I'm 67) and have done one solo cruise on RCL. It went fine and will do more. Although since I end up paying double, I have taken both of my adult daughters on separate cruises. I would avoid Norwegian because I would end up eating alone all the time and that is the one thing I really hate. I've done 36 cruises and five since I lost my husband. I would be interested in getting a widows' cruise also.

Rosemary

Hello Rosemary,

I have cruised with RCL several times as a single and have not had any problems with Traditional Dinner, tours, lunch, etc.

I am cruising with Princess for the first time this May 24th, and really looking forward to it as always!!!! Even semi-packed!!!

When you go again, enjoy, and remember for those of us who are "hooked" on cruising: it is what you make it. I have not had a bad cruise yet (10 cruises). And you have cruised so many times, I am sure you most likely have not had a bad cruise yet.

I do not know if there is such a thing as a widows' cruise per se.

Happy Cruising,

NewJersey222;):o

Marie

Marie,

I think you will like Princess. I've gone on Crown Princess twice out of Brooklyn. I agree with you -I've never been on a cruise that I didn't enjoy. Some I liked better than others of course, but life is what you make it.

I was kidding about the Widow Cruise. Just wish it was cheaper to go single. I usually end up with someone going along for the ride, but that sure doen't make it cheaper for me. My kids and grands aren't complaining though!

Rosemary

Archived