Misty Fjord with Sea Wind Aviation ???

ilovetravel123

You know your comments could almost be taken as slanderous. I've flown with Steve numerous times and wouldn't haveany problem climbing in with him again. I've already survived one plane crash on the tundra and when the maker calls you home it's gonna happen.

Accidents happen. Steve's an excellent pilot and unfortunately he nor any other pilot can control mother nature.

Nothing slanderous about it. Facts are just that. Steve was faulted by the NTSB for that crash. He was blamed for inadequate planning and poor decision making. Sure, I believe he's a good pilot, and yes, accidents happen, but to state that the pilot didn't have any input into that crash is wrong. Also, if the same thing had happened with an airline pilot, that would be the end of his flying career.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=ANC07MA083&rpt=fa

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/aviation/story/618585.html

http://juneauempire.com/stories/121208/sta_366703926.shtml

I'm surprised to see the company is still in business, after last summer's fatal crash.

I had read no updates here as to Steve's health after the accident last summer. I would not have expected a small family business to survive that kind of devastating accident - but I'm glad that they are able to continue. My "so negative" comments have to do with MY experience doing a Misty Fjords flight last June - which was weather-related and not operator related. I will try flying again this summer - but not in Ketchikan.

Your negative comment was aimed at SeaWind, in a thread directly asking about SeaWind. If you were meaning for it to be YOUR experience, you should have said YOUR experience was with ISLAND WINGS, and you were just unhappy because it was misty/foggy, not questioning a pilots experience with whom you have never flown.

Steve Kamm is an excellent pilot. I would never hesitate to fly with him if given the opportunity.

Is Princess still using Taquan? Last I heard they had canceled that contract after the Taquan crash in 2007. Just wondering who they are using now.

If Taquan wasn't a ship contractor, there wouldn't be any ship tours. None of the other companies are large enough, with most having a single plane. Taquan has been a continued ship contractor.

They are still in business. Steve's wife called me about flying with them after I had sent them an e-mail....I am going with Island Wings and not Sea Wind as earlier stated. I got them mixed up because they were the 2 that I chose between.

I to ended up going with Michelle of Island Wings, with all of the praise that she is receiving on this sight and trip advisor, it was an easy choice. Especially since the 2 for 1 with Taquan Air wasn't available on August 5th.

If Taquan wasn't a ship contractor, there wouldn't be any ship tours. None of the other companies are large enough, with most having a single plane. Taquan has been a continued ship contractor.

Thanks for the update Budget Queen. I think I originally read the article wrong. It sounds like Princess only temporarily stopped the flights with them pending the investigation a few years ago. They didn't actually cancel the contract.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

6 of us just returned from a 7 day cruise on Princess....We all flew with Steve and Lesley. My son in law is a commercial pilot, my daughter is a flight nurse,and my husband and I are retired airline employees. We all were very very impressed with the safety equipment on Steve and Lesleys plane. The flight with them was the highlight of my trip. I felt totally safe and relaxed and was mesmerized by the sights Steve showed us. Misty Fiord is just breathtaking and Im so glad we went with Sea Wind Avaition. Steve is full of knowledge and information and so easy to talk to. He even located a pod of whales for us to watch!!! We will fly with them anytime!!!! They are very customer service oriented!

Has anyone done this tour? I have it booked with SE Aviation in August; not much available on the internet. Would love to hear from someone who has gone on this tour!

Where is your bear tour to?? I would think Traitor's Cove?? I again just flew with Southeast Aviation, always excellent tours.

I have written to Princess to suggest that they use Seawind Aviation as a contract carrier. I cant tell you how impressed we all were with this company.

With only one plane, and one pilot, they aren't going to cut it as a ship contractor, add to the mix, the deep discounts they have to contract for. The cruiseline cut is at least 40%.

Why would you want them to be ship contractor? It would be a "different" tour.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

We flew with Steve in July 2009 in Misty Fjords area.

The scenery was absolutely amazing and Steve is very good pilot.

The landing on the lake was so gentle we barely could feel it.

I am not big fun of flying especially on the small planes,

but it was so beautiful around that after a few minutes of flight

I forgot about all my worries. After flight Lesley was so nice and offered us ride to the Saxman village.

I would recommend Sea Wind Aviation.

They are nice people and very customer oriented.

We just came back from a 10-day Alaskan cruise on Oceania, and our flightplane experience with Seawind was probably THE highlight of the entire trip. Steve and Leslie Kamm are a wonderful team and their focus on safety was at the forefront of our excursion. The takeoffs and landings were amazingly smooth and the views so breath-taking. I had my doubts about whether I could possibly capture decent photos with my point & shoot camera through the plane window, but the best photos of our 10 days were taken from Steve's plane! Memories for a lifetime, and our thanks to Steve and Leslie for making it happen. For an amazing flightplane experience of the Misty Fjords National Monument, go with Seawind Aviation. You'll love every minute of it.

Archived