If you had to choose... Belize? or Roatan?

BeagleMommy

The hubby and I are heading on the NCL Sea 11/27 cruise, and we may only be able to dive one stop. We've already decided to definitely dive either Belize or Roatan (we've done Cozumel, and loved it, but want to do something new), but may not be able to do both. So, I'm looking for opinions from people who have dived both places - if you HAD to choose, which would you pick? We'll probably snorkel the other stop, so it we won't totally miss the other...

AND then I'm looking for the definitive answer on operators. Looks like people are pretty pleased with Hugh's in Belize, and BIBR in Roatan?

Thanks!!!! :D

We did not dive, so this may be of no help to you. We snorkeled in both locations. I was not impressed with Roatan (could have been the tour we were on). We loved Belize, we are planning on snorkeling there again in Jan.

Hi Pleasan7... I'll definitely post all KINDS of info once we get back, including what I find out between Belize & Roatan. We've pretty much decided to dive in Belize, just because we've always heard such great things about diving there, and the fact that the Sea stops there was one of the deciding factors for us booking this particular cruise. But we'll definitely be checking Roatan out, so we'll report back!

:D

My husband is a divemaster (almost 400 open water dives). He was stationed in Okinowa (sp?) years ago and said until Roatan, he had never had such excellent diving. We are going to be in Roatan again in April 05 on the Valor and will head to Salt & Peppers to take us diving. He said it is truly magnificent and shouldn't be missed!

Donna

You can check the weather via the ships internet

as you near the date? Or beforehand.

I may be wrong but believe that Roatan has better weather

but 11/27 is not that late so Belize will likely be fine.

I'll post soon the URL's for most of the West Caribbean places

weather and sea conditions on the NCL section and copy to here.

Colorado

I prefer Roatan but had bad luck with rain and low clouds in Belieze.

Bring one of the $5 "space blankets" if on an open craft! The Mrs

about froze in Belize after diving in a squall.

When we were in Roatan this past February, we did a discover scuba course with Luna Beach Resort. They were fabulous! All their equipment was brand new, their boat was in good condition, and the dive master, Mark, was great. The resort definately looked like one of the best on the best...great for non-divers wanting to relax.

http://www.lunabeachresort.com

• 2 weeks later...
The hubby and I are heading on the NCL Sea 11/27 cruise, and we may only be able to dive one stop. We've already decided to definitely dive either Belize or Roatan (we've done Cozumel, and loved it, but want to do something new), but may not be able to do both. So, I'm looking for opinions from people who have dived both places - if you HAD to choose, which would you pick? We'll probably snorkel the other stop, so it we won't totally miss the other...

AND then I'm looking for the definitive answer on operators. Looks like people are pretty pleased with Hugh's in Belize, and BIBR in Roatan?

Thanks!!!! :D

Hello BeagleMommy - here is a little (dog)food for thought about choosing your dive location.

After more than 25 years of diving, my 2 favorite locations are still Roatan and Cozumel. I spent 10 consecutive days once on Roatan and never once experienced a less-than awsome dive! Cozumel just simply has increadible visibility and so much of Palancar reef is so packed with life it is almost unreal.

I have not specifically dove Belize, I hear from freinds that it is good diving WHEN the weather cooperates so that may be a determining factor. That is one of the great things about Roatan, if the weather is less than desirable on one side of the island, you can probably find good diving on the other side. This is not an option in Belize.

It's funny that you depart on an NCL cruise on November 27th because that is the same exact day that we depart on the NCL Sun to - but of course - Roatan, Belize, Cozumel (and depepnding on port conditions in Grand Caymen, either there, Guatemala, or Costa Maya, MX).

Regardless of your choice, enjoy your dives!!!

ScubaDude

Thanks for the info DiverDude... very helpful! I'm a fairly new diver, and the only 2 places I've been (for ocean dives) are Cozumel and Grand Cayman (a previous cruise of course). Had a lousy dive master in Cayman, for my first ocean dive, and had a less-than-awesome experience there as a result. Got back in the water in Cozumel though and it was AWESOME. Loved it. Got me hooked for sure.

But anyway we're definitely reconsidering our previous almost-definitely-going-Belize thinking. Not sure we're going to be able to dive anyway this trip as it turns out... but if we do we're definitely looking harder at Roatan now.

Out of curiosity, where on Roatan did you spend the 10 consecutive days?

We'll have to *trade notes* on the 2 ships/itineraries when we get back - I'd love to hear about your experience on the Sun!

Thanks again! :)

On Roatan we stayed at the Coco View resort, before many of the newer resorts were built. The food was included in the stay and every meal was terrific, especially the all you could eat lobster night which included a ceremonial dance event by some locals on the island. There is a wreck - the Prince Albert - barely 100 feet off shore in front of the resturaunt which sits upright about 50~80 feet below the surface. So, for divers that prefer shore diving vs. boat diving, even they can experience wreck diving and wall diving (also right near the restuaraunt).

DiverDude

NCL Sun - 11/27/04

On Roatan we stayed at the Coco View resort, before many of the newer resorts were built. The food was included in the stay and every meal was terrific, especially the all you could eat lobster night which included a ceremonial dance event by some locals on the island. There is a wreck - the Prince Albert - barely 100 feet off shore in front of the resturaunt which sits upright about 50~80 feet below the surface. So, for divers that prefer shore diving vs. boat diving, even they can experience wreck diving and wall diving (also right near the restuaraunt).

DiverDude

countdown.php?month=11&year=2004&day=27&hour=16:00

NCL Sun - 11/27/04

Carnival Jubilee - 2003

NCL Majesty - 2000

The hubby and I are heading on the NCL Sea 11/27 cruise, and we may only be able to dive one stop. We've already decided to definitely dive either Belize or Roatan :D

Hi BeagleMommy:

We just returned from the Sea and dove both Roatan and Belize. We booked the ship's excursions (because this was our first cruise and we were unsure of the logistics of booking independently). Of the two, Belize was the clear winner with Hugh Parkey's. There were at least 16 divers, but it didn't feel like a cattle boat because we were split into smaller groups each diving a different section of the reef. Our divemaster, Alex, gave the best predive briefing I've ever had. Since he was a native, he interspersed the briefing with a lot of interesting local history. They set up your gear and help you into it and then you just backroll off the side. There was a rescue diver who helped you out of your gear upon ascent and handed it up. Not having to climb the ladder with 24 pounds of lead was a real plus. They also served a substantial lunch between dives. The dive profiles were supposed to be 65 feet max, but we dived 85 on a wall because we had computers. The wall was spectacular with sponges and soft corals.

We were very pleased with this dive even though it was pricey at $195.

We cruise a lot with my cousin, who is a dive master. We snorkel and they dive. Their favorite places on this itinerary are Cozumel and Roatan. Too much time spent on a boat getting to the dive sites in Belize. They just returned again last week from this itinerary and, again, they did not dive in Belize. They LOVED Roatan and Cozumel, as always. I think part of the problem in Belize is the ship anchors off shore in Belize City, not a place like Ambergris. Based on what they have told me, dive in Roatan and Cozumel and do something else in Belize like a jungle and Mayan ruin trip. Would recommend Lamanai for jungle and Mayan ruins or Xuantunich for less jungle and easier access to the Mayan ruins. Lamanai is my first recommendation on the jungle/ruins trip. Enjoy your cruise.

We leave on Friday, the 19th, on a 10-day Celebrity and can't wait for some good snorkeling!!!

I have never dove in Belize but I can say that diving in Roatan is fantastic. I used subway water sports and had a great time. If this is your first time to eithor port, I would suggest diving Roatan mainly because I think that in Roatan, there really isn't much to do other than diving and I think everyone who goes to Belize should take a trip inland and see some of the Mayan ruins.

On a cruise from Nordic Empress (Nov 2002), we dove the Belize Cays on the RCCL shorex. Pricey, but worth every penny because the trip picked us up from the side of the ship. Great dives, and a lunch at the Belize University marine station in-between.

X-mas 2003, we went to both Belize and Roatan, but were unable to dive at that time because DH had injured an ankle, and I was still recovering from a fierce bout of bronchitis. On Roatan, we went to the Salt and Pepper club and hung out, drank local beer, and ate lobsters. Very hard to watch the dive gear going down the street...

Skip something else and do both dives. IMHO a day of diving is still better than a good day doing almost anything else!

Wendy

5 days to X Zenith

• 5 months later...

Hello, I will be going to Roatan on the NCL Sun this coming November and noticed this thread. There seems to be alot of options dive-wize at this port. I did however notice the mention of Salt and Pepper!! What are their boats like, visited their site and the only pix of a boat was a small skiff for snorklers. If you dove with this outfit please write and let me know what you thought of them.. pricing, boats, equipment, staff and of course, meals!

If you choose a different operation, could you please write to me about that one as well and tell me why you choose that dive operation!

I didn't realize that there would be so many questions to find out answers to regarding this port and diving!! I truly appreciate all the comments made on this thread so far! Thank you everyone for your imput!:)

Diverdude: I was reading a review of the CocoView on the scubadiving.com forum and saw some serious concerns re: bugs. Horrible flying insect, mosquito, scratchy yucky stuff. I am not sure whether I am cruising this January 06 or taking a dive shop charter to Roatan. What was your experience with CocoView? Would you recommend it overall? Did the bugs try to carry you away? Thanks for your input.

Hiya ZydeDiver! :)

Hello KathaLinaMarie!! and all else.. i did some research on the diving from other divers who dive at these sites yearly and all 40 rec'd the diving in Belize to be fantastic!! even over Roatan.. which was hard to do they said. It all depends on the expectations and experience levels one has. I was told to check out AquaDives.com for great diving. Not sure I was that impressed from the website so far. Still looking. From Belize to Roatan is the second largest Great Barrier Reefs!! What could be better!

I called CoCoView and their booking agent as well and they said that there wasn't anything new.. the ususal sand pests and mosquitos and they recommended using a product BEFORE going on land .. so preventive is always better! She said once you start iching you exasberate problem. ick. WE use Cactus Juice. see www.cactusjuicetm.com

I also included a few tid bits of info... to consider.

Time Zone

Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone, and does not utilize daylight saving time

Car Hire:
Although the roads have been significantly improved during the last few years, some are still pot-holed and can make driving for any distance very uncomfortable (especially the Southern Highway from Placencia down to Punta Gorda (take a tip - fly!). Car hire is quite expensive and it is very important to check the small print in the insurance as most companies do not offer fully comprehensive cover. A four wheel drive vehicle booked through a reputable company is essential. No rental companies will not allow you to cross the border into Guatemala or Mexico.

Ambergris Caye has a wealth of gift buying opportunities. Strolling down the main street with sand between your toes you will be surprised at the range of small shops and boutiques.

Archived