Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

What annoys me more is when what is being written is all one big paragraph with little or no punctuation. I don't read those posts as they are too difficult to follow.

Pet peeve though is enough already, wth does that mean?

Text talk wow that bothers me too

Another is weather instead of whether and to/two/too, oh I could go on and on............

No, you don't understand! To survive nursing school is such an amazing thing. The entire experience is different than most other educational undertakings. CFRITZ I am soooooo happy for you! Congratulations and welcome to the ranks!:D

It is different FROM most educational undertakings.

I have a handicapped sister in law, who often mixes up her words.

The cutest one, is when she meant to say "time flys".

It came out "flies go."

We all use this phrase in our family now!

My hubby and I have a favorite new phrase (after hearing someone mix up two descriptions): It doesn't take a rocket surgeon... (combining rocket scientist and brain surgeon).

I read most, but not all, of this thread so, if I missed this one, I apologize. It is CABIN not room! :)

You can often tell someone who just booked their first cruise when they use room instead of cabin and boat instead of ship.

I read most, but not all, of this thread so, if I missed this one, I apologize. It is CABIN not room!

Well now, that's interesting. Because I thought it was a "stateroom" and therefore "room" might be an abbreviated form (perhaps for those of us staying in abbreviated cabins.)

To the person who corrected my spelling of Vichyssoise (quite correctly) Bravo!

I have been wanting to post similar corrections but since we are not supposed to correct spellings or grammar I will not comment on any specifics.:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

The worst part? I want to correct people too and English isn't even my first language :eek::eek:

I just learned a few years ago that you should answer "how are you?" with "I'm well" verses "I'm good". I'm not sure if that is correct but it drives me insane now when I hear "I'm good". So I'm OCD about a rule I'm not even sure exists. This seemed like a good place to ask...

I just learned a few years ago that you should answer "how are you?" with "I'm well" verses "I'm good". I'm not sure if that is correct but it drives me insane now when I hear "I'm good". So I'm OCD about a rule I'm not even sure exists. This seemed like a good place to ask...

It is correct to say well/very well instead of good, it isn't proper English to say I am good, I always want to say good at what?

Another thing that riles me is when someone says I want it really bad, the word is badly!

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite threads.

I remember a tagline someone used a few years back that I adore!

"An apostrophe does not mean 'look out, here comes an S.'"

It seems as though every word ending with an S contains an apostrophe lately. When I was in school I had trouble with its and it's. Finally I was taught that an it can't own anything so the only time to use the apostrophe was when you were saying it is. That helped me so many times over the years.

It is correct to say well/very well instead of good, it isn't proper English to say I am good, I always want to say good at what?

Another thing that riles me is when someone says I want it really bad, the word is badly!

Reminds me of the Mae West line: "When I'm good, I'm very good, and when I'm bad, I'm better!"

Love this thread!

I don't recall seeing two of my pet peeves:

Various forms of "accommodation" (one c, one m, etc).

Advise and advice: the former is a verb, the laltter is a noun. It is unsettling when attorneys (lawyers for those north of the border) I work can't get those straight!

Word nerds unite!

Archived