Prince Rupert - money back guarantee with whale watch?

ilovetravel123

Hi Everyone,

while looking through the excursions that NCL offers, I noticed that the whale watching trip in Juneau offers a money back guarantee if you don't spot a whale but the one in Prince Rupert doesn't. Are there are vendors that offer this in PR? Should we not worry about this? What was your experience like if you have done whale watching in Prince Rupert?

Since it's more likely to see whales out of Juneau they can offer the guarantee. We went in early May which is early in the season and had whales come up very near the boat in Juneau. We also saw one whale right by the cruise ship and many in the distance.

In Prince Rupert we rented a scooter and spent 1/2 day Butze Rapids park. It was beautiful, although our timing to see the reversing rapids was off.

In Prince Rupert we rented a scooter and spent 1/2 day Butze Rapids park. It was beautiful, although our timing to see the reversing rapids was off.

That sounds pretty fun. I've been wondering what I'm going to do in Prince Rupert. How far of a ride was it to the park?

That sounds pretty fun. I've been wondering what I'm going to do in Prince Rupert. How far of a ride was it to the park?

It's only about 4 miles and directly off of the main highway going out of town. If you check the tide schedules you can see the rapids running one way and then go the opposite way when the then tide goes out. Here's a link http://www.northbceh.com/rupert/parks/butze.htm

Even if you don't see the tides it is an amazing rainforest. The scenery seemed to change every few minutes.

I'm not much on shopping, but there is a Royal Canadian Mounted Police store that was very interesting. It is easy to spot because it has a six foot bobble head RCM policeman out front.

It's only about 4 miles and directly off of the main highway going out of town. If you check the tide schedules you can see the rapids running one way and then go the opposite way when the then tide goes out. Here's a link http://www.northbceh.com/rupert/parks/butze.htm

[snip]

That's a great site with all the links to parks in the area. And I like the little "eh", eh! Thinking about it now though I'm probably a little too inexperienced and fearful to go scootering around. I may end up taking the bus or a taxi (if available?) to a couple parks.

Back to the original topic, I wouldn't go whale watching in PR unless I couldn't do the tour out of Juneau. Is that the case for you?

That's a great site with all the links to parks in the area. And I like the little "eh", eh! Thinking about it now though I'm probably a little too inexperienced and fearful to go scootering around. I may end up taking the bus or a taxi (if available?) to a couple parks.

Back to the original topic, I wouldn't go whale watching in PR unless I couldn't do the tour out of Juneau. Is that the case for you?

Yes, due to time constraint, we wouldn't have time to do the helicopter tour (which we booked) with the whale watch. Hmm may be I'll consider doing something else instead.

Prince Rupert is a great place. Visit the Tree of lost soles, an actual tree strewn with shoes from many people. There were two last time I was there, bring a pair of old shoes and leave them there! There is an interesting old canning town close by with tours that are good. Finally, if time allows you could drive to Hyder Alaska. Along the way there are hanging Glaciers and lots of nice scenery. Hyder is a tiny town that is connected to Canada and isolated from everything. There isn't much in Hyder, but they have world class bear viewing that is incredible. Of course Bear viewing depends on the time of year--I believe Hyder is good in early to mid July.

http://travelnorthwestbc.blogspot.com/2006/05/prince-rupert-shoe-tree.html

http://stewartbchyderak.homestead.com/homepage.html

http://www.stewartguesthouse.com/hyderalaska.html

Hope this helps.

Amelia

Archived