First time cruise questions

I am planning a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas for the Thanksgiving holiday this year and had a few questions that I hope a few of you experienced cruisers can answer. We are an active family and enjoy participating in sports. I heard that there are basketball and vollyball games that go on...is there alot of people that play and sometimes others don't get to play? Is there a huge wait for the rock climing wall and the flo-rider? How long is the wait? I had also heard that you have to get up really early in the morning to grab a lounge chair in the sun and that some people get up early and place their towel on the chair to "reserve" it. Is there any truth to that. I would really appreciate any tips, advice, or infomation. I am going to be traveling with my 15 year old son and 10 year old son. Are they going to be bored on the ship or are the kids programs really great. Thanks for any comments.

I am planning a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas for the Thanksgiving holiday this year and had a few questions that I hope a few of you experienced cruisers can answer. We are an active family and enjoy participating in sports. I heard that there are basketball and vollyball games that go on...is there alot of people that play and sometimes others don't get to play? Is there a huge wait for the rock climing wall and the flo-rider? How long is the wait? I had also heard that you have to get up really early in the morning to grab a lounge chair in the sun and that some people get up early and place their towel on the chair to "reserve" it. Is there any truth to that. I would really appreciate any tips, advice, or infomation. I am going to be traveling with my 15 year old son and 10 year old son. Are they going to be bored on the ship or are the kids programs really great. Thanks for any comments.

I do not remember long waits to play basketball on board. The flow rider can get busy at times. What I would recomend is to take a port day and find out when the flo rider is running and do it then. My DW and myself did this and there was only about 6 of us out there lots of times to use it.

People do get up early and try to reserve chairs by throwing towels on them. But on our cruise the towel police were right on it for the most part. I got up one morning and was out by the pool on a sea day at 8:15 and saved chairs, but did not leave the chairs while I saved them.

We had two teenage girls (16 and 15) at our table on our cruise that had a blast while on board. My DD (10) would normally go to the kids club but this cruise did not because she made a friend that did not go. The kids programs are great and I would think that your 10 year old would have fun.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further info.:)

Since you are traveling the week of Thanksgiving, the ship will have more families on board than usual for that time of year. I don't think your kids will have an issue with playing basketball. I have never seen the court overly crowded.

Flow Rider and the rock climbing walls can be busy at certain times of the day but they limit the time of the riders on FR so your kids will get their time on the machine. Wait time depends on the number of users. I doubt that your kids will be bored as the ship will have plenty of other kids their age on board for them to meet and RCI has great programs for kids.

There will be chair hogs out in force early in the morning to get the prime spots by the pools. If being by one of the pools is not important to you then I would not worry about getting out early as there should be chairs available when you are ready to hit the deck.

Yes, they have open play basketball, and occasionally volleyball (Same court). A few times each weeks they do have a tourney. - Watch the Cruise Compass (Daily Event Planner). I have seen more than able to play show up, and I have seen not enough to play show up. It just is a toss up with the people on board.

Usually the Rock wall doesn't have a line after the first day, but depening on how many younger people are on board, the Flow Rider can have up to 30min or so wait.

RCCL has a great youth program, most kids like it, some kids don't.

Have a fun trip!

Oh yea, some people do have no respect for others and get up at 0dark30 and go outside and put towels on their chairs that they will get up and use at about 230pm. Oh well. There are plenty of other Chairs on the ship! Have yet to be on a cruise where I haven't found chairs.

Archived