Casablanca excursions

MGS13

We, and another couple, negotiated with a cab driver when we got off the ship to take us to places we had read about and wanted to see. The Hassan II Mosque was fabulous; be sure to take the tour. We also went to the Museum of Moroccan Judaism, and did a self guided historical walking tour of the Medina. The cab driver took us on a driving tour of the city. He insisted that we pay him only when he returned us to the ship, so we knew he'd be waiting for us at each stop. Great day.

HI, my wife is from CASA, we live there most of the summer. Try the Sous(open market) near the rail station, or the one near the HYATT. Have mint tea(nana) at any cafe around the Postoffice. Take a walk alone the beach on konig blvd, lot of shops in old city, always barter the price.

Have fun and look out for pickpockets.

Salam

Marrakech (MARESCH) IS ABOUT A TWO HOUR CAR TRIP FROM CASA . Is's a much better sightseeing town.The route between the two is not much to see. all the sites are in the city center, so walk everywere; The horse drawn buggy are not allow travel out of the center. Leave early, you don't want to be on the road at night. it's safe to take the bus (CTMN only!). Go to j'im f ner to see the snake charmers. Don't drink the fresh pressed OJ.

Salam

(Edited) Don't drink the fresh pressed OJ.

Salam

Good advice! We have been to Morocco twice. It is the only foreign country out of seventy some where I have experienced "traveler's revenge." The old adage "it is safe to eat whatever you can peel" does not apply here. We were told oranges were injected with a syringe full of local water to plumb them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Was the highlight of our cruise a few years ago. I honestly felt that I was on a movie set where all the actors were dressed up in costumes, the ladies all wore colorful gowns, and all the animals were brought in as scenery. Then I realized this was REAL, or rather SURREAL. You will never see anything like it again. The activity in the main square is a sight not to be believed.

The ship's tour took us to a nice place for lunch where we had the sweetest clementines (seedless tangerines) and no one on our cruise got sick.

I would recommend that you go on the ship's tour, not independently, because (a) it is far from the port and (b) the ship's tour brings guards to keep the group together and to prevent anyone from bothering or hassling you.

The cost is worth it, as it is different from anything you have ever experienced!

Archived