Buying Euros Ahead

can you write american express travelers checks in europe and get change in euros or cash the checks for euros or do you have to use an atm card?:cool:

Really tough to cash traveller cheques in Europe, no vendor really wants to take them so it's finding a bank and then the charge on top of that. ATMs really are your best bet unless you have a great exchange place at home.

I did some checking today, and there is a travel agency in Reno that sells them, but they are definitely a "for profit" setup. They were doing it at $1.75 per. When I looked online, I checked out Hartfield Int'l airport in Atlanta (we're flying Delta), and they have a currency exchange in the terminal. Check out www.travelex.com

I figure to do that while we have about a 5 hr layover in Atlanta before going across "da pond". Since the direction of exchange has been in our favor as of late, I will likely do it then. (But I WILL be watching things closely from here on in). One option that they have is to purchase them and have the money delivered overnight. So we'll see...

I did some checking today, and there is a travel agency in Reno that sells them, but they are definitely a "for profit" setup. They were doing it at $1.75 per. When I looked online, I checked out Hartfield Int'l airport in Atlanta (we're flying Delta), and they have a currency exchange in the terminal. Check out www.travelex.com

I figure to do that while we have about a 5 hr layover in Atlanta before going across "da pond". Since the direction of exchange has been in our favor as of late, I will likely do it then. (But I WILL be watching things closely from here on in). One option that they have is to purchase them and have the money delivered overnight. So we'll see...

Arby:

I haven't gone back to check through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been covered, but what about just getting the Euros from your bank? I know we're an open, free economy, but $1.75/Euro is a colossal ripoff, while the rates offered by Travelex are only marginally less of a ripoff. Perhaps in large banking centres we're spoiled, but here in Toronto, it's no big deal to walk into a main branch of a major bank and get all the Euros you want....currently at a 4.1% markup to the spot rate , which at the moment is $1.5436 (of course, I'm converting $Canadian to Euros, but I've done the math to illustrate against the $USD. So, from $USD, shouldn't the rate be no worse than, say $1.61 to a Euro?

Kevin

Arby:

I haven't gone back to check through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been covered, but what about just getting the Euros from your bank? I know we're an open, free economy, but $1.75/Euro is a colossal ripoff, while the rates offered by Travelex are only marginally less of a ripoff. Perhaps in large banking centres we're spoiled, but here in Toronto, it's no big deal to walk into a main branch of a major bank and get all the Euros you want....currently at a 4.1% markup to the spot rate , which at the moment is $1.5436 (of course, I'm converting $Canadian to Euros, but I've done the math to illustrate against the $USD. So, from $USD, shouldn't the rate be no worse than, say $1.61 to a Euro?

Kevin

You are right Kevin, that is what it should be, but in my checking, with the extra fees added in, it still ends up being closer to that $1.75 mark. As I stated earlier I even called the Exchange at LAX and was quoted $1.71. Maybe in New York City or downtown Los Angeles, you might get a better rate, but out in the suburbs, even trying to find a bank that will get you the EUROs is a problem. I bank at Banco Popular and my work credit union, and neither of them deal in foreign currency at all. They will sell me travelers checks with no cost, but that's no help.

Perhaps in large banking centres we're spoiled, but here in Toronto, it's no big deal to walk into a main branch of a major bank and get all the Euros you want....currently at a 4.1% markup to the spot rate...

Hi Kevin,

From reading previous posts on this thread, it seems that we have it a little easier in Canada when it comes to buying Euros at a more reasonable rate from major banks. It's still more economical for me to get cash from ATM's in Europe, but I like to pick up some currency before we leave (I get it from the Royal Bank.)

I bank at Banco Popular and my work credit union, and neither of them deal in foreign currency at all. They will sell me travelers checks with no cost, but that's no help.

Will they sell you euro t.c.'s and if so, at what exchange rate? We were able to exchange euro t.c.'s for euro cash on board Celebrity Millennium in the Med.

However, on our upcoming trip I'm not going to bother with t.c.'s as the exchange rate that we bought them for wasn't as good as ATM rates.

Will they sell you euro t.c.'s and if so, at what exchange rate? We were able to exchange euro t.c.'s for euro cash on board Celebrity Millennium in the Med.

However, on our upcoming trip I'm not going to bother with t.c.'s as the exchange rate that we bought them for wasn't as good as ATM rates.

Nope, only AMEX traveler's checks in U.S. dollars. I thought of opening an account at BofA, but it's just not worth the hassle, so will just continue buying EURO at AAA or AMEX even though they do cost more.

We bank with B of A & we are not charged anything for euros if we buy at least $1000.00 worth. They will exchange any we bring back also. You have to b in the Advantage plan. We feel this is a good deal! We buy just before leaving on our trip. Up or down - you need them when you get to Europe!

We buy on line or order over the phone. Check with your bank & see if this available. :D

Faith

I asked today if there was any advantage to being an Advantage customer and they said no. But I was at a branch that did not handle euros. I also told them I thought there was a break if we bought at least 1,000 (which we did last year). Please fill me in with what you know. BofA jusat said todays rate was 1.61 to buy.

I asked today if there was any advantage to being an Advantage customer and they said no. But I was at a branch that did not handle euros. I also told them I thought there was a break if we bought at least 1,000 (which we did last year). Please fill me in with what you know. BofA jusat said todays rate was 1.61 to buy.

I know you didn't address this question to me, but I thought I would share my experience with BoA. I bank in NJ and was told that it's easiest to order foreign currency on the BoA website and the funds will be sent to the local branch. (I'm not sure that any of the branches carry foreign currency.) I was also told there used to be a fee for sending the currency to the bank, but it was dropped (don't know if this is only for Advantage customers). I didn't order them because I thought the euro would drop below $1.48 (silly me). Since we have some left from our last trip, we're going to wait and take euros out through an ATM after we arrive.

Hope this helps a bit.

Karen

http://www.bankofamerica.com/foreigncurrency/index.cfm?state=IT#skipnav

Calculate conversions. Find out how much foreign currency you'll need to bring with you on your next trip, or see how the US dollar matches up to other currencies around the world.

dot_clear.gifdot_clear.gifExchange rates for ordering.

First, select the foreign currency you are interested in ordering: (Select Currency) Argentinean Peso Australian Dollar Bahamas Dollar Bahrain Dinar Barbados Dollar Belize Dollar Bermuda Dollar Bolivian Boliviano Brazilian Real Brunei Dollar Canadian Dollar Cayman Islands Dollar Chilean Peso China Renminbi Yuan Colombian Peso Costa Rica Colones Croatia Kuna Czech Republic Koruna Danish Kroner Denmark Kroner Dominican Republic Peso E.Carib.Dollars Eastern Caribbean Dollar Egyptian Pound Estonian Kroon Euro Fiji Dollar French Polynesian Franc Gibraltar Pound Great Britain Pound Sterling Guatemalan Quetzal Honduras Lempira Hong Kong Dlrs. Hungarian Forint Iceland Krona Indonesian Rupiah Israel New Sheqel Jamaican Dollar Japanese Yen Jordan Dinar Kenyan Shilling Korean Won Kuwait Dinar Latvian Lats Lithuanian Litas Malaysian Ringgit Mauritius Rupee Mexican Nuevo Peso Netherlands Antilles Guilder New Taiwan Dollar New Zealand Dollar Nicaragua Cordoba Northern Ireland Pound Norwegian Kroner Oman Rial Pakistan Rupee Papua New Guinea Kina Paraguay Guarani Peru Nuevo Sol Phil. Pesos Polish Zloty Pounds Sterling Quatar Riyal Russian Ruble Samoa Tala Saudi Arabian Riyal Scotland Pound Singapore Dollar Slovak Republic Koruna South African Rand Sri Lanka Rupee Swedish Krona Swiss Franc Thailand Baht Tonga Paanga Trinidad & Tobago Dollar Turkish Lira United Arab Emirates Dirham Uruguay Peso Uruguayo Vanuatu Vatu

.error {color:red;font-weight:bold;} .errormessage {color:red;} Calculate Conversions.

Using the Foreign Currency you've selected from above.

Enter the U.S. Dollar Amount: Note: The U.S. Dollar Amount and Foreign Currency Equivalent may change for rounding purposes. or Enter the Foreign Currency Amount in whole numbers: Order Now

So, from $USD, shouldn't the rate be no worse than, say $1.61 to a Euro?

Kevin

That's pretty much what travelex was quoting when I looked. What I'm looking to do is get maybe 200 Euros, and then use ATM's as needed once I'm in BCN or Italy.

Just a thought, does Malta take Euros? That is our first port. If I remember correctly, isn't there a Maltese lira?

For what it's worth...Chase branches will order Euros for you if you have an account with them. They took about 2 business days to come in at my branch. The markup over the wholesale rate was about .08 ($1.62 vs the $1.54) and there were no additional fees. You're not getting the rate in the papers unless you're trading over a million dollars in currency. So if Chase needs to charge me $.08/Euro to make a profit on the transaction- so be it. I don't work for free, so why should they? But their rate beat out any of the online sources I found such as Wells Fargo and AMEX.

Of more interest is the fact that Capital One Credit cards do NOT charge an extra fee when using them overseas. In addition, they eat the 1% that Visa/Mastercard tack on. The same is true with Discover, but it's not as widely accepted as Visa/MC.

For subjects like this, http://www.Bankrate.com is an treasure trove of information.

My DH and I went to our local bank (American Savings) here in Honolulu a few weeks ago. We have a number of personal and business accounts at this bank and are on very friendly terms with the branch manager. (I'm mentioning this only because it may have some bearing on the story) We wanted info on buying euros. Lara told us we would buy the euros at that day's official exchange rate, and would be charged only $1.00 per $100.00s ordered. We didn't buy them at that time, because we weren't sure how many we wanted. Shortly there after, the dollar got a little stronger, so we've decided to wait, see, and hope (like everyone else) that we don't get burned.

After reading all these posts, I'm wondering if Lara gave us wrong info? It sounds like getting an exact daily exchange rate is unheard of. I guess on Monday I should go and talk to Lara to make sure she was passing on correct info and that I understood her exactly.

Thanks for the help

OK so i am thinking of ordering euros through aaa, which means i have to join.Will the basic alloow me to purchase the euros. I am between this and getting the travelex card. If anyone could give me pros and cons on these 2 methods that would be great. We live in a small town so our bank does not deal with foreign currency. I really dont want to open another account. Thank you.

sam73,

I wouldn't join AAA just to buy Euros. You can buy them in the airport, sure you have to pay a fee, but many banks charge fees for using their ATMs.

OK so i am thinking of ordering euros through aaa, which means i have to join.Will the basic alloow me to purchase the euros. I am between this and getting the travelex card. If anyone could give me pros and cons on these 2 methods that would be great. We live in a small town so our bank does not deal with foreign currency. I really dont want to open another account. Thank you.

You can purchase online from Bank of America and they will mail them to you. You do not have to be a customer of theirs. I also purchased Euro Travelers checks from them in case I ran out of Euros and applied them to my sign and sail card at the end of the cruise.

OK so i am thinking of ordering euros through aaa, which means i have to join.

You don't have to join. AAA is selling me euros (I'm not a member) for a 1% non-member fee. That's nothing compared to the 15% cut they take on the exchange rate.

I was just happy to find a place that would sell euros without hitting my credit card for a cash advance fee. I will use an ATM for most of my euro needs, but wanted to have some upon arrival.

My DH and I went to our local bank (American Savings) here in Honolulu a few weeks ago. We have a number of personal and business accounts at this bank and are on very friendly terms with the branch manager. (I'm mentioning this only because it may have some bearing on the story) We wanted info on buying euros. Lara told us we would buy the euros at that day's official exchange rate, and would be charged only $1.00 per $100.00s ordered. We didn't buy them at that time, because we weren't sure how many we wanted. Shortly there after, the dollar got a little stronger, so we've decided to wait, see, and hope (like everyone else) that we don't get burned.

After reading all these posts, I'm wondering if Lara gave us wrong info? It sounds like getting an exact daily exchange rate is unheard of. I guess on Monday I should go and talk to Lara to make sure she was passing on correct info and that I understood her exactly.

Thanks for the help

I think your bank manager meant that the bank will charge you ITS official exchange rate, which is a commercial/retail rate the bank charges to its customers, not the true international exchange rate. There is always a spread between the two rates.

......Stan

Leaving in a couple of weeks for Italy with my family.

My Dad called and said he was able to work out a deal with his investment bank, because he is a past, long standing board member. He is going to get everyone in our family their euro, without any service charge or bump-up on exchange rate. :)

So, my 250 euro will cost me only $385, instead of $425 (exchange rate, plus a convenience fee). That's about a $40 savings. Not a huge amount, but it pays for a shore excursion. ;) Of course the more euro purchased, the more savings.

Returned from cruise in Italy on May 10. My experience was this...

I purchased Euros at my Tampa at ~1.68

I purchased more onboard(Azamara Quest) at ~1.65

I used a Citi debit card in ATMs at~1.56 inclusive of small fee.

I have yet to get my massive credit card bill,but I am certain it will be similar to the ATMs.

Based on my experiences on this trip as well as one previously,........

Use ATMs for Euros and use credit cards as often as possible.

Happy Trails

Archived