Dining room seating

Perhaps you could clarify your question. First of all, we have always requested "large table" and always been seated at one - that request was made when we originally booked. Do you mean a specific table, e.g. one by a window, one upstairs, and so on.... not sure of your question.

If this helps, when you board try to board early and go directly to the dining room and check out your table. We did this on our last cruise. We did have a large table, as requested, but it was way in a back corner, kind of crowded in. We really didn't like the location. Went to the meeting where you can arrange to switch (usually held around 2:00 p.m. in either one of the lounges or library - purser's desk could tell you) - the dining room manager was there with huge scrolls trying to accommodate everyone's request. Incidentally, previous poster suggested tipping him, I didn't - I was just very polite and patient and explained that we just didn't care to sit in a "dark corner" - he was wonderful - we were changed to the staff captain's table for the entire cruise. Our tablemates, other than the staff captain, were two couples who also had requested a last minute change.

Hope this helps.

We were to be seated with two couples we went with and it got screwed up. So the second night we went to the mait'de and he was very acomendating. Got it changed and everyone was happy.

On our last crusie (The Radiance) we requested when we booked, a "largest" table in the middle of room / bottom floor. We were told by T.A. that RCI doesn't decide on seating until the day before embarkation, but we could make a note of our desires in the booking.

When we got on board, we immediately checked the dining room to see where our table was. They had put us on the top floor, in a back corner, at a table for 4.

I went to see the Matre D and stood in line behind 3 other people to ask them about changing. When it was my turn, I told the lady at the computer (they have a complete picture and lay-out with all the names) where we would like to sit. She showed me on the computer the table for 10, dead-center of the lower floor right behind the Captains table. "Will this be alright?", she asked. It was very pleasantly simple, and I didn't even get tip money out.

Hope this helps.

You can request a table area. A picture of Andrew Jackson with the Mait'de as soon as you get on board may help.:)

You are absolutely right. I think my DH uses a Ben Franklin and it works like a charm.

We enjoy a small table just for our family - the four of us, two kids, mom and dad. While we understand the appeal of meeting and enjoying the diversity of sitting at a large table, our lives are so crazy and active, the chance to sit together at dinner and enjoy each other's company is one of the highlights of our cruise. On our Alaska cruise last year, we immediately checked our seating (as we always do) coming on board, found we were at a large table, and were able to change to a table for 4. But, unfortunately, it was in one of the side rooms off the main dining room on the Radiance. We were there day one, and hated the low ceiling and the fact that we did not seem part of the main scene. Fortunately, we discovered that our two favorite people from our Hawaii Radiance cruise were on board. We did not complain, we did not ask for a change, we did nothing but rejoice in seeing two people that made our last cruise memorable and mention that, so far, our experience was great but not as good as our memories of Hawaii. The next day, we were called and given a new table number. Muftasa (the best waiter of all) and Paulo (I believe now the dining room manger of the Jewel), without asking, without hints, majically produced a new table for 4 at the foot of the grand staircase into the dining room. I don't know what we did, except smile, laugh, enjoy and not complain, but it worked out wonderfully. Not only that, we sat at the Captain's table for the second formal night, and Paulo told us we would sit at the Captain's table on any of his cruises. We are not special, we are not rich, but we enjoy life, our family and cruising. Our non-demanding attitude seemed to make a difference, but who knows. We are booked on next summer's sailing of the Jewel to the Baltic. We chose the Jewel over the Princess sailing from Copenhagen largely on the hope of finding Paulo. Service matters. Maybe so does attitude. And RCCL is rewarded with our business.

Archived