Dissapointing Food on QM2

tmcauban

Now if I could just figure out how many formal nights there are on a 8 day cruise.

On our thirteen night cruise I was all prepared for 4 formal, 5 semi-formal and 4 elegant casual. I took four long gowns, five very dressy cocktail dresses and some mix and match outfits for elegant casual (I found these nights hardest to plan for). The directive for dress was in our final documents. When on the ship that directive changed--4 formal, 3 semi formal, and 6 elegant casual. Needless to say, some nights I was overdressed. The twin cruise to ours in February had the same thing happen, but I believe their elegant casual jumped from 4 to 7.

So be prepared for anything no matter what your final documents say.

As far as service, our service in the Britannia Restaurant was excellent. Our waiters worked very hard, maybe a little harder than they should have to (I think they have too many tables), so I believe that your service depends on just who you have for waiters--or the luck of the draw.

We used the alternative dining and found both the Piazza Restaurant and Chef's Galley were very good--both in service and food, as well as Todd English.

And even though things are not always perfect and they never are--I , like you, am looking forward to going back just as soon as possible.

"We had the exact same service issues on our short cruise last year. It does take away from the overall cruise experience, still we have just booked another cruise on the QM2."

Smoothdancer, I'd have to say service did improve a bit since last year's 4 day Memorial Day sailing. In my opinion dinners were better.

We're booked in an AA category cabin, which means we have meals in a section of the Britannia restaurant known as the Britannia Club. Does anyone know whether the food and/or service in this section is the same or superior to that of the regular restaurant?

We're booked in an AA category cabin, which means we have meals in a section of the Britannia restaurant known as the Britannia Club. Does anyone know whether the food and/or service in this section is the same or superior to that of the regular restaurant?

Food is the same, with the addition of an a la carte menu. My only experience of the service in Britannia was that of Britannia Club, which I found not particularly impressive. On the other hand, others have found it excellent.

One benefit is that for breakfast and lunch, you may dine at your assigned table as well; therefore you should expect no waits to enter and perhaps more consistent service with continuity of staff.

You may also take breakfast and lunch in the main Britannia if you wish (and perhaps share a meal with some "new" faces, if that is to your liking).

Hope this helps - have a great voyage!

We just came back from the Memorial Day Weekend. We had dinner at Britannia the first night. Service was very good, food just good but nothing to complain about.

Second night we dined at La Piazza - both food and service were great, above average, as were on Lotus on the 4th night.

Third night we went to Todd English - did not disappoint. It was a great meal with impeccable service. We did not feel the portions were too large or heavy, just right. Very nice wine list and decently priced.

For our last night the menu at Chef's Galley had changed that day to French so we decided to give it a try (previous days' menu did not appeal much to us). It was a great meal, again impeccable service comparable to the best restaurants on land. Chef was entertaining and the food was very, very good.

We did not have a chance to lunch at the Golden Lion Pub as it was bursting at the seams on both sea days. We had one lunch at Britannia where we spent over 2 hours (albeit in great company). We found the service to be very slow, perhaps due to the fact that so few staff were in charge of so many tables. The food was ok but unremarkable.

Breakfast was had in our cabin a couple of times and the rest at King's Court as we were eager to get on with the day's activities.

All in all, while nothing is ever perfect, we have nothing to complain about the food or service and would happily return to Cunard.

I must remark on how wonderful our experience was in regard to the crew and staff in general. We never heard the word No, had a waiter at King's Court go out of his way to personally make the reservation call for us. Particularly (as some of you who have sailed other lines), nobody pushes the drinks thank God. If you want one, there's always someone ready to help. Otherwise, nobody bugs you. Kudos to Cunard for helpful but unobtrusive service.

You may also take breakfast and lunch in the main Britannia if you wish (and perhaps share a meal with some "new" faces, if that is to your liking).

Speaking of lunch, did you ever have lunch at Sir Samuel's? They are the absolute best lunches on board the QM2, with service and atmosphere to match.

Gail

Claudia,

On our Memorial Day cruise we stuck to the dining room so I dont know much about the other dining options you speak of.

Are these other dining options, aside from Todd's in the Kings court, coverted for dinner? If so do the passangers still dress for dinner, meaning not shorts or other casual choices??

The Chefs table, I assume is an additional cost, which is OK, but I would sure love to hear more about that experience.

Last question... Does anyone think that service is any different from the first to second seating? We prefer second but if service is different we would change our booking to the first.

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Yes, the restaurants in King's Court in the evening are by reservation only and passengers dress as they would in the Britannia Restaurant. We were quite impressed by the restaurants we ate in. The first was the Piazza, an Italian Restaurant, complete with white tablecloths, flowers, wonderful food and service. The second was the Chef's Galley , a restaurant where the chef cooks the meal in front of you. On the night we dined there the chef cooked an Asian meal and it too was excellent.

On any given night in King's Court, three of the four restaurants become dining rooms serving four course meals and are top-notch. Only one remains open for buffet style dining. And they are a wonderful alternative.

As far as early versus late we had a problem with both--that's why we went to the alternative dining. We started with late and moved because of an incident, but also ten thirty or later was just too late to finish dining. And the six o'clock start of the early seating just seemed too early, particularly if you are coming from an excursion.

Claudia,

On our Memorial Day cruise we stuck to the dining room so I dont know much about the other dining options you speak of.

Are these other dining options, aside from Todd's in the Kings court, coverted for dinner? If so do the passangers still dress for dinner, meaning not shorts or other casual choices??

The Chefs table, I assume is an additional cost, which is OK, but I would sure love to hear more about that experience.

Last question... Does anyone think that service is any different from the first to second seating? We prefer second but if service is different we would change our booking to the first.

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Hi Smoothdancer, Poodlesmom answered most of your questions but here is a bit more:

There is a $15 pp charge for the Chef's Galley but it's well worth it - the chef made French Onion Soup, Steak au Poivre and Apple Tart, all delicious. He also gives you the recipes to take home. Since it was our last night we did not want to buy a whole bottle of wine so I ordered a glass. Even though wine by the glass was not on the wine list, this was not a problem and the sommelier very graciously gave me a few good choices. I also asked for an espresso, no problem. This venue in particular really feels special as there are only a few tables (my guess is about 20 guests max.) and there are are glass doors at each end which are closed during dinner. Steel doors which are closed during the day are opened to reveal a galley kitchen complete with mirrors and camera above the cooking area so guests can really see what's going on. It is a very interactive experience. Hope this helps, glad to answer any other questions.

Thank you Poodles. you have been a great help so far!

I really love the formal dress on the QM2, one reason why I chose her and am glad to hear the alternative resturants do have a nice dress as in the dining rooms. So, if you choose to do alternative dining do you also have a set time in the dining room, or should I change my reservation and tell them not to book a seating for us? If not, I guess just tell the head waiters so they will not wait on us ??

How much in advance do we need to book reservations? Is the day of, OK??

Now I am going off subject here.... Last cruise I specifically picked a gown for the Black and White ball and noticed the majority of the ladies went with the black and white theme. I have a few wonderful gowns I would like to bring, none black or white... Is this really an issue??

Thank you Poodles. you have been a great help so far!

I really love the formal dress on the QM2, one reason why I chose her and am glad to hear the alternative restaurants do have a nice dress as in the dining rooms. So, if you choose to do alternative dining do you also have a set time in the dining room, or should I change my reservation and tell them not to book a seating for us? If not, I guess just tell the head waiters so they will not wait on us ??

Now I am going off subject here.... Last cruise I specifically picked a gown for the Black and White ball and noticed the majority of the ladies went with the black and white theme. I have a few wonderful gowns I would like to bring, none black or white... Is this really an issue??

The night we went to the Piazza Restaurant we decided at the last minute to go and see if we could get in. We found the Matre'd and he took us right in, but I would bet that when you make reservations they would ask you the time you wanted. The Chef's Galley only accepts twenty or so diners, and because of the nature of the chef's participation I believe the time would be mandatory--I believe 7:00P.M.

You can call, use you keyboard or go in person and make reservations. As I said, we made reservations on the spot, but maybe it would be better to make reservations a little sooner than that.

I have always read that the color of your gown at the Black and White Ball does not have to be black and white. You might as well stand out!

I really love the formal dress on the QM2, one reason why I chose her and am glad to hear the alternative resturants do have a nice dress as in the dining rooms. So, if you choose to do alternative dining do you also have a set time in the dining room, or should I change my reservation and tell them not to book a seating for us? If not, I guess just tell the head waiters so they will not wait on us ??

All of the dining reservations are linked by computer. If you make a reservation at one of the alternate restaurants, they will be aware of it in the dining room. But it is always nice to tell your waiter and table mates if you plan to eat at another restaurant the night before if you can.

You can usually make reservations the day of for most of the alternate restaurants. Reservations for Todd English may be a little harder to get.

Wear whatever gown you like for the Black and White Ball. Yes, many women will be wearing black or white but there are always those who choose another color. I have seen photos of some of your fabulous gowns and you will look wonderful in whatever color you choose.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Beth

Once again, I believe we are finding that the Britannia service on the shorter cruises is spotty. Perhaps they should stop selling so many 3rd and 4th berths! (Not bloody likely!)

I don't care as long as I get on the ship. I can sort that out later.

Glenn.

I don't care as long as I get on the ship. I can sort that out later.

Glenn.

Quite right. Being onboard is the main thing.

Of course, I am not talking about your boy (whose picture, I assume is in your countdown clock). The other "big" ones in the 3rd and 4th berths.

And, sir, I have no doubt that you would very quickly and quietly get things sorted with the Maitre 'D.

How about the 8 day Caribbean?? Does anyone know how many formal nights on this cruise... I was sure hoping for three so I dont have to make a decision on which gowns to bring... Have 3 I love and to get it down to 2 was going to be a challenge.

iamacruiser,

Thank you for the complements on my gowns.... Good lord, nothing makes me happier than a well made beautiful formal gown!!! I think it was on another thread that someone said that full skirts are only meant for white tie events... Rubbish I say, sometimes a lady just needs one of these even for a black tie event if she is going to have the freedom of dance in the Queens Room. On our short 4 day cruise I was in a full ballroom gown and quite happy with my decision.

I was on board last week with gardenbunny, and Lynn as well, and couldn't find fault with the food. The service at my table was great.

I'd like for the OP to elaborate some more on why they thought the food was below standards. :confused:

I was on board last week with gardenbunny, and Lynn as well, and couldn't find fault with the food. The service at my table was great.

I'd like for the OP to elaborate some more on why they thought the food was below standards. :confused:

As far as what my husband and I thought, the food was very good. Now, I don't know what "up to standard" means. If it means excellent, in our opinion, it was not. If it means "very good", it was. As I said before it comes down to taste. If I were to go to a top notch restaurant in our area, which is the Hartford area, I would more than likely be served excellent food (food that is exceedingly tasty), but what QM2 had, was very good--that's all. The presentation was almost always excellent, our service was always excellent, and I really, really wish I could say the food was excellent too, because I absolutely loved the ship so much that I wanted it to be --but I just can't say that that was the case-- and be honest.

I really want to help you understand. There could be other variables that bring about the differences in opinions. Perhaps it could be differences in ethnicity, but in today's world probably not, or the region one come from and that is perhaps a small possibility, or very simply, one's own individual taste and what one has learned to be excellent, which is most likely the case. And of course, we need to remember that each cruise is distinct, so the quality of food could vary from cruise to cruise.

There could be other variables that bring about the differences in opinions. Perhaps it could be differences in ethnicity, but in today's world probably not, or the region one come from and that is perhaps a small possibility, or very simply, one's own individual taste and what one has learned to be excellent, which is most likely the case. And of course, we need to remember that each cruise is distinct, so the quality of food could vary from cruise to cruise.

I am not quite sure I believe I have read this correctly. You think service levels may, but probably don't, relate to colour?

I can't believe anyone would even think that it was a possibility, still less post it on an INTERNATIONAL board.

Quite frankly, I am appalled.

How about the 8 day Caribbean?? Does anyone know how many formal nights on this cruise... I was sure hoping for three so I dont have to make a decision on which gowns to bring... Have 3 I love and to get it down to 2 was going to be a challenge.

Smoothdancer...packe those 3...I'm sure you'll need them. We had 3 on a 7 day Caribbean and 3 on a 10 day...I'd say 3 will have you covered. Now if only I could learn to pare down.....:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Thanks Penny, thats wonderful.

Fifty dollar Bob,

I did not at all read Poodles post as you did. I thought that poodle was saying that one person could love the food while another not could be because of ethnicity. For example I dont care for Mexican food at all, but I would guess that Mexicans do. That does not say that just because I dont like Mexican food means I dont like Mexicans!

BTW I have a friend just coming off the QM2 and she raved about both the food and the service.

I am not quite sure I believe I have read this correctly. You think service levels may, but probably don't, relate to colour?

I can't believe anyone would even think that it was a possibility, still less post it on an INTERNATIONAL board.

Quite frankly, I am appalled.

[/quote

And quite frankly I am a little appalled myself at your attitude and that you would even think that the word ethnic means color. Where in heavens name would you get that idea, anyway??? I am not even going to qualify your reply by giving you a definition. We were talking about food and that's what I meant, that different ethnic groups might prefer different types of food, therefore, may have differences in how they would rate food (and in my mind I had what the British might prefer). I am really very tired of explaining every word I write and of some people insinuating that I mean something that I don't. I am a very nice person, I certainly am not a racist, I do not put other people down, I do not lie or even exaggerated, and I am not a bully--and I can't say that about everybody on this board.

You know, I thought to myself when I wrote it, seeing this sort of thing has happened before on this board, that maybe someone would take the word wrong. Oh, no--I told myself--nobody could ever think that! Then, lo and behold, first thing this morning, I read this. Unbelievable!

Archived